Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Cost of EFI conversion on BBC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cost of EFI conversion on BBC?

I did a quick search/skim and couldn't find anything on the subject, which surprised me. If there is a thread I missed I'd be thrilled for someone to link it.

Anyway. I've been offered a certain amount of money to sell my 2000 WS6, and after all is said and done I'll have around 10k to play with. I currently have a freshly rebuilt 454 out of a 76 chevy pickup, along with its T400 trans.

I was thinking of selling my T/A, buying a Chevelle body, and putting the big block and trans in it.

If I did this, it would likely be driven most days, so I want to put an EFI kit on the motor to save a little on gas. My questions are:

1. How much gas mileage should I expect from an EFI conversion.
2. How much would the conversion kit cost?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Megasquirt is very cheap, but must be built on your own.
The major EFI's are in the neighborhood of 2-3k.

If you can, sell your Mark IV and pick up a Mark VI block, then convert to L31/LS1 PCM.

EFI Manifold: $400
EFI TB: $400
Rail kit ~100

24x Camshaft Reluctor Ring $30
24x Cam Sync Dizzy $150
24x Timing Cover with CPS (Crank Position Sensor)$100
CP Sensor: $85
Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The engine I have is kinda sentimental... I know it's weird, but the truck had been in the family since 76 and I bought it from my grandpa, and it was the first engine I ever rebuilt with my dad and brother. I know it would be more practical to change, but I'd like to keep this one. I'd be leaving it in the truck if the body weren't complete trash.

I found a freshly painted 67 SS clone roller for 7k.

Also, anyone have an idea on gas mileage?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Depends on a lot of things, if the 400 isn't sentimental pick up a TH200 4R/4l60E for the overdrive and you could probably see an easy 15-20 MPG in a 3500 pound car. Will depend on the converter you have too.. whats the full combo?

Also, if the Mark VI block isn't an option, look into either Megasquirt or if you don't mind spending the money, FAST EFI and the like. With the older block, the EFI choices are slightly limited.

Those Chevelle's are hot stuff.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The converter will remain small until I get another car to drive most days. I'll eventually go all out, but by that time I won't care so much about mileage. The T400 has given me nothing but trouble, so I'd really be glad to dump it for a 4L60E or the like. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

First what are you going to do with the car? Old school TBI would be easy on your engine. port injection is harder but still not rocket science. I have a Mustang with a four barrel intake modified to use Ford/Chevy injectors and an aftermarket controller. Holley and others make all the stuff you need. http://www.holley.com/Index.asp?division=Holleyefi

Al 95 Z28
Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For now I'll just be driving it to school and the local cruise-in for the most part. It's replacing my 00 WS6 as my most-days driver, so I at least need it to be somewhere close to that in terms of fuel-efficiency. I know it won't be as fast, or as efficient, for now.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
For now I'll just be driving it to school and the local cruise-in for the most part. It's replacing my 00 WS6 as my most-days driver, so I at least need it to be somewhere close to that in terms of fuel-efficiency. I know it won't be as fast, or as efficient, for now.
Hate to say this but there is nothing wrong with a Qudrajet carb if you know about them. Good gas mileage, decent performance. Ask yourself how come a late 60's GM barge like an Olds or Buick with a 455 inch engine could get over 19 MPG on the highway and weigh almost 6,000 pounds. They had points, no PCM's no injection, no overdrive, no lock up torque converters and no BS. In 1971 they went straight to sh*t thanks to the EPA.

Al 95 Z28

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.
Enzo Ferrari
Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The engine is from a 76, and the carb was replaced during the rebuild. I really hate getting into qjets for some reason, so I avoided rebuilding it. I get more pissed off than anything when I start to take them apart. Currently running a Holley 650 because we had one laying around.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
The engine is from a 76, and the carb was replaced during the rebuild. I really hate getting into qjets for some reason, so I avoided rebuilding it. I get more pissed off than anything when I start to take them apart. Currently running a Holley 650 because we had one laying around.
Well at some point you need to figure out what it's going to cost in time and material to go injected. Is there a chance there is a stock 454 setup that will work for you? That would be the easiest way.

If I had to do it without a stock set up I'd find a way to get an intake with injectors and a throttle body and start finding options how to control it. The Ford set up used in 88 to early 90's Mustangs work on about anything and there is tons of aftermarket support for them. As mentioned before MegaSquirt, Electromotive, Fast, Holley and lots more are making systems....

Al 95 Z28
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Launching!

I'm a little late on this one, but on the electrical side, you can get most of what you need for the Megasquirt in a kit. They offer a Carb to EFI kit with a lot of what you need (Megasquirt efi controller, wiring harness stuff, sensors, etc) for $590 (unassembled, build it yourself) or you can also get it assembled for $710... Then you have to track down the engine parts (intake, throttle body, etc) though... I'm currently working on putting Megasquirt on my 72 Chevelle on a 355 sbc. I just finished assembling my Megasquirt myself the other day. I really think it's the way to go if you're on a budget and want an advanced efi setup.

Quick Reply: Cost of EFI conversion on BBC?