Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

5.7 vortec starter ear mount broke

Old 10-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 vortec starter ear mount broke

First post, hopefully this is in the right section.

I was given a 1998 chevy 1500, runs good had the starter replaced and the fly wheel.

They were having issues with the starter and assumed it was because they got it from autozone. I pulled the starter out and it looked fine. Replaced it with one from Napa.

Turned it over and it started just fine. Drove it home and had it on the lift to shim it. I noticed when I turned it over the second time starter would kick and would no longer be flush which caused it to grind on the start up. I pulled it back out and noticed the bolt ear on the outside of the block was cracked on the top and bottom.

I've read just about everything I could find with the block cracking in that spot and how to go about fixing it. JB, welding, ect.

Was curious if anyone knows of a brace or bracket I can get around with instead of having to weld it. I saw some one was selling one for $350 which is currently not the route I wanna go with it. Without pulling the motor how could I go about fixing it. I can get pictures later to give a idea on how it looks. I ain't lookin for stock finish quality. More or less something to get me along.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2014, 01:08 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I would see if I could align it, drill and put a dowel in if possible and weld it. Otherwise, a new engine would be my next step. A LS swap of course.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:55 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OUCH!!
Seen that one happen a few times kind of a fear of mine.
Hopefully someone can weld iron hear its not so easy;was your battery weak causing it to kick back? Timing?

Hope you can salvage it somehow.
Guess its good to make a brace
Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Sorry for the later update, put the truck on the back burner but now my 'reliable' daily driver has an unknown electrical issue that's made it un drivable. So I'm tryin to juggle both vehicles in an attempt to make one at least 'reliable' to get me to and from work.

Will get a picture of the crack later tonight possible.

The truck had been sitting for a while and I thought maybe that was the reason why the starter was acting poorly cause the battery wasn't all the way charged.

Again I'd hate to have to pull the motor for something like this.

There is a fabrication shop a few miles away from where I live that does welding, injection molding, 3d printing... Ect. I may swing by there and see if it's possible for them to have it welded without the motor being pulled.

If not and pulling it is my only option I'll have to save for a motor, but I'd wanna put a 4BT into it.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:42 PM

the vortec 5.7 is known for this. what happens is a failing crank position sensor causes timing to advance to around 50 degrees while cranking, putting a ton of load on the starter mount. if you're lucky it just breaks the starter. i feel your pain.
welding cast iron requires heating the entire assembly to around 800 degrees first, meaning strip the engine down and take the bare block in to have it done. also not so cheap. jb weld won't work, just too much stress on that area for it to hold up.
sorry to bring the bad news buddy, hope you figure something out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.7 vortec starter ear mount broke