Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

new setup for my 454 help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default new setup for my 454 help!

so i had my 454 built by shafiroff over 25 years ago.. its a 454 bored 30 over.. i forgot all the numbers like cam size and what not.. but i want to start getting into it again and put a new top end combo together... i know i have 11 to 1 pistons in it so i deff need a oval port open chambered head. and i would like to stick with the exhaust ports factory size as well... what heads/ intake etc should i go with? and whose big n good in speccing bbc cams? i got a custom cam specced for my ls383 and that things shines so want to do the same with my bbc... please help with whats new and whose hot in the game now!! been outa this for a long time
Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

I have recommended these heads for every big block oval port build;

http://www.jegs.com/i/Brodix/158/2061000/10002/-1

Not only do I have a set on my wifes 489, but they work great and bolt on with no modifications. You really need to check the height of the piston dome b/c 11:1 really doesn't mean squat. BBC heads come with all different combustion chamber sizes.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
I have recommended these heads for every big block oval port build;

http://www.jegs.com/i/Brodix/158/2061000/10002/-1

Not only do I have a set on my wifes 489, but they work great and bolt on with no modifications. You really need to check the height of the piston dome b/c 11:1 really doesn't mean squat. BBC heads come with all different combustion chamber sizes.
okay thanks probably going to go with those heads.. tearing apart the motor soon to get all specifics cc size dome size etc... forgot all the info over the years :/ whose good in the big block world to spec a custom grind cam that would work and fit in my setup?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

http://bulletcams.com

Only the best will do
Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get all the facts before you start looking at heads. You compression is based on the sum of the parts not just the piston. Figure out what your stroke, piston shape and piston CC is first. Then select a head and gasket which gets you into your desired compression zone.

That being said I love Brodix heads. Every motor we've put together has them. I hear good things about Dart and AFR as well but I have no hands on exp with their heads.

Good luck,
~Jim~
Old 08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
Get all the facts before you start looking at heads. You compression is based on the sum of the parts not just the piston. Figure out what your stroke, piston shape and piston CC is first. Then select a head and gasket which gets you into your desired compression zone.

That being said I love Brodix heads. Every motor we've put together has them. I hear good things about Dart and AFR as well but I have no hands on exp with their heads.

Good luck,
~Jim~
Thats what im goin to do. Just trying to get an idea of whats the best out there since i been outa the game for over 20 years. In fall/winter going to pull stuff start taking measurements and sizes and start pickin out stuff
Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a large fan of AFR myself, especially their CNC'ed models. They work great right out of the box with no need to venture into porting services. They just work and work well. Tony has also put alot of time into the design of them, so the R&D is exceptional.

www.airflowresearch.com

Quick Reply: new setup for my 454 help!