Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC into 95 lt1 Firebird ** video added 12/19/13**

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biketopia
Got another couple of questions about accessories, what style water pump are you running, long or short? What alternator are you running, looks like an Si series with a v belt pulley, and I know you said you're using a circle track p/s pump with I assume a remote reservoir, do you think an older v belt pump and reservoir would work/fit? Thanks again!
Sorry the late reply, been awhile since I’ve been in here. It’s a short style waterpump, the alternator is one I got off eBay for around $100. I tried running one of our small racing alternators by it couldn’t keep up with everything that was running in the car. I have to run a remote reservoir with my setup but think a older v-belt and reservoir should work on it just fine
Old 12-23-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

It’s been awhile since I’ve done a update, after about 3 weeks of driving the Holley fuel pump I bought stopped making fuel pressure so I ended up returning it to Jegs (customer service was awesome) and ended up going with a Aeromotove A-1000 and it hasn’t missed a beat yet, it’s a awesome fuel pump! Not sure what I have planned over the winter, I would like to go with a larger front brake setup so maybe I will tackle that next! Here is a picture from over the summer, makes me wish it wasn’t 10 degrees and snowing outside right now lol

Old 12-26-2017, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Sorry the late reply, been awhile since I’ve been in here. It’s a short style water pump, the alternator is one I got off eBay for around $100. I tried running one of our small racing alternators by it couldn’t keep up with everything that was running in the car. I have to run a remote reservoir with my setup but think a older v-belt and reservoir should work on it just fine
No worries, I ended up going with a long pump and v-belt pump set up from my 71 c-10 project that I'm not using. Knocked the fuel pressure down with a return style regulator for now and it runs and drives. Used a 10si 100 amp alternator i found for like 60 bucks online. Gotta piece together some type of exhaust, hopefully this week and then tackle my hood clearance issues. My damn intake is so tall I should just sell it and get a lower profile one to make my life easier, buuut I like to be difficult so I'm on the hunt for a cowl hood to make work.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s be nice to see all of the broken photo links replaced!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StraightTimeStirrups
It’s be nice to see all of the broken photo links replaced!
Tell me about it, I still have all the photos on my photo bucket and will have to find a new way to upload them so they work
Old 01-05-2018, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Got around to fixing all the broken pic links, photobucket SUCKS!! lol. I lost some photos and tried to put everything back how it was. I also found a bunch of mics pics from the build so I will just add them here. Its -2 degrees here right now, Cant wait for summer so I can drive it again!!

Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

here are a couple videos I had on my phone, sounds good in the video and evil in person!!

Old 01-05-2018, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Short clip from inside the car, surprisingly I have never been pulled over lol

Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

This is the engine bay as the car sits now, next step is a full Jones Racing Products serpentine pulley setup, just ordered the pulleys and brackets today so hopefully they will be in next week so I can get them all installed in the car. I finally got around to painting the valve covers up and then stickered them up with the engine shop that I work at and built the motor in. 😎

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-06-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!

No one ever does that!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Got my pulleys in and everything in the car, the old belts would slip at high rpm but I will not have that issue anymore, everything fits exceptionally well and looks clean. I am didn’t have the correct alternator belt so I had to wait for it to show up (it did today). I got everything buttoned up and fired the car up today to check everything and it was all good. Another project down!!!

Old 01-22-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

1-22-18
​​​​​​​new pulley setup is all done and complete, been spending a little time out in the garage cleaning it up and doing some polishing here and there. It sucks having it all clean and no where to drive it, 3 more months and I’ll be able to take it out lol I think the next mod is a ABS delete and get rid of that cluster of lines under the hood!!!

Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

ABS delete cleans up and frees up so much space under the hood. What really helps is deleting the EVAP box under the hood. What intake are you running, or do you know how tall it is? I've got a massive GMPP single plane at the moment and looked into changing up to a duel plane to get better clearance for an air cleaner and hood. But everything I looked at showed them only being an inch lower, which doesn't seem like it would be enough to get my carb like yours.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

I have a Victor Jr on mine, I had a taller manifold and was going to use that but im glad i didn't because there is no way it would have cleared my hood, The air cleaner lid rests against the bottom of the hood as it is now. ABS and Evap delete are the next 2 on the list!!
Old 01-25-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm Interesting, I'll have to get my hands one and do some measurements and compare it to what I have. But from everyone else I've seen who's done this swap, I should be able to make it work if I go that route, thanks. Did you keep your wipers or nix em? The EVAP box delete came up in another thread and a few different plates got posted up, one looked pretty slick and allowed you to keep the heater core and inside box for heat purposes without any mods to the box. Or if you just get rid of it all, or mod your interior box, Jegs sells a delete plate for 26 bucks, which by the time you can make one, seems the easier route, even though I made my own haha.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by biketopia
Hmm Interesting, I'll have to get my hands one and do some measurements and compare it to what I have. But from everyone else I've seen who's done this swap, I should be able to make it work if I go that route, thanks. Did you keep your wipers or nix em? The EVAP box delete came up in another thread and a few different plates got posted up, one looked pretty slick and allowed you to keep the heater core and inside box for heat purposes without any mods to the box. Or if you just get rid of it all, or mod your interior box, Jegs sells a delete plate for 26 bucks, which by the time you can make one, seems the easier route, even though I made my own haha.
When I had the smaller air cleaner on my car I had both functioning wipers but when I went to the larger 14x3 I lost the passenger arm and at that point decided to ditch them both and just keep the windshield covered in rain-x at all times lol. I don’t have heat either, I wired the fan to a toggle switch and have it set to defrost so if I start to fog I can turn the blowe motor on and move some air. I only drove it when the weather is 99.9 no chance of rain and when it’s above 70 degrees so I don’t have to worry too much... then again here in NY that means I have a window of about 3 months to drive it haha
Old 08-23-2018, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

8/22/18 update, did a burnout about 3 months ago and messed up something in my transmission so I pulled it out and had it rebuilt, while I was at it my engine had a small oil leak that I didn’t like so I pulled the engine and brought it to work and put it on the dyno to find where it was leaking (rear main seal) put a new rear main seal and pan gasket on it and put it back on the dyno to verify I had no leaks and it was all good. Put the whole car back together and when putting my wheels on and torquing them one of the stock rear stud decided to strip so it gave me a good excuse to install the ARP studs that I’ve had for about 3 years lol. I’ve driven it some, have to get it inspected and then I can drive it more till winter gets here.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Started on the next mod for my car, Picked Up a FAST ez-efi 2.0 unit, Bought it used so first thing I did was ordered new temp and 02 sensor for it. Had to order a fuel pump wiring harness to control my fuel pump and when that showed up it was time to get installing it. Was pretty simple, everything is labeled nicely. The only thing I wasn’t able to do was to connect the ecu to my crank trigger to let it control my engine timing (the book doesn’t explain it well and technical service never answered me back lol) I got it all in and installed and test fired it and took it for a quick drive around the block and it seemed really nice and the throttle was super responsive. Next step is to finish the wiring up and mount the handheld inside the car. Can’t wait for the weather to break so I can drive it and let it learn while I drive!!!

Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

FAST set up looks sweet, plus the convenience of EFI is awesome!! I see you still have ABS and your HVAC box though haha. My car is torn down to nothing at the moment, have a 427 SBC sitting on the stand waiting for me to dress it up and going to go see my trans builder Wednesday to go through my TH350. Picking up a cage Saturday then it's all hands on deck to get this thing back together. I wanted to dig back into this thread because I remembered you had found a radiator and made it fit with minimal mods. Did you list the part number in this thread, also did the stock fans fit on it or where there mod's that needed to be made?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Did some updates to the cooling system on my car. I planned on using the stock radiator in the car but while working under the hood i slipped and broke one of the small fittings off the stock radiator right under neath the overflow tube so I figured now is the time to upgrade the radiator. I got a BSC 28x19 rad with a 2" core from work and brought it home with me to see if I could make it work. With some slight modification of the stock radiator hold down surprisingly the new one fit into the car fairly easy. The next step was to mount the fans, I tossed the idea around of going with 1 single fan but had the stock setup and wanted to make it work. I went with 2 pieces of 1"x1" 90 degree angle aluminum and I riveted that to the rails on the top and bottom of the radiator and the other end to the top and bottom of the fan housing and it is rock solid. I have to get a new lower radiator hose tomorrow and then I should be able to button it all up and close another chapter in the project. Just a FYI this radiator new is only $159 and fit in the car fairly easy

New rad vs old rad

Stock fans mounted on the new rad with "minor" modifications

In the car and waiting for hoses!!

Found the post, did you have a part # for that radiator, and by any chance you have a # for the lower hose you used and maybe some closer pictures of how you set up the shroud?

Quick Reply: SBC into 95 lt1 Firebird ** video added 12/19/13**