Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Whats the better deal, to crate or to create?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the better deal, to crate or to create?

Would it be cheaper to buy a crate engine, or build an engine? Can you buy all the new parts that come in a crate engine for cheaper than buying a crate? Whats the best way to go if buying a crate engine? (brand, turn-key, ect.?) How many miles does a crate engine usually go without repair? I drive my car like an old lady...
Old 01-05-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It all depends upon what your goal is. More information is really needed.

There are some great crate engines out there and there lots of shops that can build an engine to meet your exact needs.

Depending upon what you are trying to achieve you can purchase some used parts and some used parts and assemble you own engine and save some money.

I depends upon your goals and your experience level.

Good luck
Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I prefer junkyard 6 liters. Have built and used engines and the budget rocks with junkyard engines that are factory spec and handle tons of power.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Teching In

a guy like yourself that's not really performance focused would be better off getting a basic reman or as mentioned cleaning up a low mi salvage engine. Very hard to beat for the price. block machining alone will run in the area of the cost of a complete salvage yard engine.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Typically a Crate engine will be the cheaper route and have a warranty. Machining a block these days alone is $600-$800+ depending on where you live.

If you have skills to build your own engine and craigslist shop...im sure after awhile you can build one yourself for pretty cheap...but I get told everyday by people that they cant build an engine for what I sell them for...and I have the quality and warranty to back it.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For crate engines it is hard to beat the GM Performance Parts engines.

Check them out lots of different HP available and they have warranties.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I did a lot of $$ checking. Unless oyu are really going to race it or do something like turbo it, you can buy a 525hp GM crate engine from Jegs with free shipping for $6800 if I recall. It has a 2 year warranty also. There are 20 different choices depending on what you want to spend. Go down the page a bit below the Blueprint engines for the factory crate engines. Not sure how the Blueprint ones stack up.

http://www.jegs.com/c/Engines-Compon...10763/10002/-1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats the better deal, to crate or to create?