Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

locking valve cover breather help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default locking valve cover breather help

this is on a 3.0L gm inline 4-cylinder, single valve cover and oem design was a 0.940" hole in the valve cover... the other hole is larger where the push in oil fill cap is... the 0.94" hole has a rubber grommet that allows for a push in plastic nipple. the plastic nipple is straight and then has a 1/2" hose going from it to the carburetor air filter. there is no pcv.

what's pissing me off is after an hour of run time i'll have a coating of oil around and running down where that breather grommet is. the oil is not coming up between the valve cover and grommet, but between the grommet and plastic nipple. i'll have a puddle of oil sitting between the grommet and plastic nipple. everything above that is dry.

i'm looking for a locking breather fitting, something like this from jegs but more simple and economical. all i really want is an o-ring or gasket on both sides of the valve cover where whatever fitting comes up and through so there's no way for oil to seep around the grommet and fitting.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...54863/10002/-1
Old 09-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check harbor freight they sell all types of o rings.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ended up coating the plastic insert with hercules blue bloc and reinserted into the rubber grommet in the valve cover. that seemed to do the trick over the last week.

Quick Reply: locking valve cover breather help