Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

383 sbc Speedmaster Downdraft Intake

Old 04-21-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Random thought,, Dont know what kind of under hood room you've got, But I would run ITG foam filter(s) on that injection and get rid of the screens, we played with a sprint motor with Kindler injection and the screens were a huge restriction at 6500 and up. Plus they don't really stop as much as I like.. But I'm one of those folks that seems to be cursed with if it can eff up it will.. LOL

The ITG got us like 15HP over the screens.. And it helps smooth the air flow over the stacks so they pull better.. (According to our engine guy.. ) We also tried a big box K&N but the cleaning was a pain in the rear.. Ran good but took me like 2 hours a night to clean even with an outer cover..
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info will look into it!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Timing Chail = 1/2" Pitch

Hi John, good to here from you.

One item, little known, is the Avon Gear timing set I sell.

This SBC "single" chain set has a 1/2" pitch for strength.
Billet steel gears with a thrust washer is also part of the set.

I like Crower Cams products as I get BELOW WD pricing, a discount that I can pass to you ?

I sell Smith Brothers push rods at a great price.

Lance
Old 05-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Wanted to share this pic I thought I had but didn't see it this is what my crank weighed in at after balancing there was some mallory added.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:45 PM
Teching In

So on another note I sm nearing my heads being done and my cam coming in question for any guys will I be safe with 1.6:1 stainless rockers with girdles with a .662 .672 lift? I plan to use .120 5/16 smith brothers push rod as it is not advised to machine for thicker rods. Spring pressure is 220lb on the seat and plan to set the rev at 7000 to 7200. Also Lance if you catch this I am putting together a list of questions for ya from our last conversation.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Teching In

So my camshaft came last week that was picked by Tony Mamo to work with my combo. I am normally a Isky fan when it comes to cams but this time I held my fate in anothers experience. I bought it as a set with my heads from Mamo Motor Sports. After I had sold my set of AFR 195 street heads. I went on a mission to buy a set of 210 AFR's found a set used on racing junk they were 75cc chamber and had the wrong springs on there for my application. Well turned out to be the old casting which has the A on the side. So that was a wash seeing they flow about the same as the 195's I just had. So I contacted Tony Mamo by email seeing that he would more then likely know the most about those heads. I am pretty sure he was part of the team that worked on the redevelopment of the AFR line and got his opinion. He pretty much let me know what I already knew so I sold them to a guy looking for heads on a supercharger application on a show car more concern with show then go. But either way I discussed porting options in my email and even worked over, it would be allot of money thrown into a head that can only deliver so much and a casting that is already really old. I decided to go with a set of his heads after we went back and forth a few times discussing what he could offer and for how much. It seemed like a good deal even though there was some wait time but I am ok with that if it is worth the wait any ways. So my MMS 215 heads with 65cc chambers are pretty close to being completed also. I cannot wait as I am closing in on the completion of this engine.

383 sbc Speedmaster Downdraft Intake-20170620_155112_film1-1305x734.jpg

383 sbc Speedmaster Downdraft Intake-20170620_155528_film1-1305x734.jpg

383 sbc Speedmaster Downdraft Intake-20170620_155545_film1-1305x734.jpg

383 sbc Speedmaster Downdraft Intake-20170620_162747_film1-1305x734.jpg

Last edited by Strictly Attitude; 07-24-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Default Isky Rev Kit

Hi John, yes Tony supplied you with the perfect camshaft.
I would fit an Isky "rev" kit.
You will find a "save" engine operation should you have a rocker arm/spring problem.

Lance
Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Teching In

So I am starting to work on the wiring for the efi while I wait for my heads and I have a couple questions for you Lance. Where is ideal spot for mounting the ECU is inside the engine compartment ok or behind the dash of the car preferred? Either spot there is no issues getting a serial connection to the inside of the vehicle for tuning. Also if inside the engine bay it would be mounted where the battery was mounted as I am moving it to the trunk. I feel this would be much better then the fire wall as temperatures would be much lower. The Battery tray on the Chevelle is behind the passenger side headlight. Also can you email or snail mail me a copy of the software and manuals for the ECU? I would really lie to start familiarizing myself with it. Also can include a tune that would have fuel and ignition tables that would be a good starting point for my build? I understand that parameters will need to be entered also. Obviously sensor information will need to be entered in properly prior to fire up also.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Default ECU-882C-1-TTL-H Harness Kit

Hi John, I like the Glove Box location, INSIDE the car.

YES, I can supply a "base" Calibration

I would use Alpha-N.

I can supply the connectors, wiring, with correct colors if I know the length ?

I use 18 Gauge TXL Cross-link wire as most common with higher gauge when required.

Sounds like fun.

Lance
Old 07-26-2017, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Thank you Lance I appreciate it and thought the inside the car would be a better set up.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Teching In

So you do not feel that a Mix Alpha-N and Speed Densityshould be mapped? For those who are not sure what each is:

Alpha-N is mapping based off of TPS (Throttle PositionSensor) and RPM to control pulse width of the injector

Speed Density is Mapping based off MAP (Manifold AirPressure) and RPM to control pulse width of the injector

So a mix map is a combo between the 2 if you have a lumpycamshaft and have a unstable MAP signal in lower rpm it allows Alpha-N to beused till the MAP signal stabilizes.

Also other tables come in to play for Barometric,MAT(Manifold Air Temp), CLT(Coolant Temp), Accelerator Temp Enrichment and AUXEnrichment.

I was going to use Mix MAP strategy for my tuning but do youfeel that I will not be able to get a stable MAP signal with individual runnersand my camshaft selection? Or can I datalog and see how the MAP signal reacts under Alpha-N and use that to build ahybrid/mix map off of that.Obviously Iwant to build an open loop map that is very accurate then allow closed loop to do the real fine tuning.

Open Loop: Open Loop operation refers to the time when the ECU is reading the engine sensors and using the internal fuel maps to determine the appropriate amount of fuel to inject into the engine. The O2 sensor is not used in this mode of fuel injection operation.

Closed Loop: Close Loop operation refers to a time when the ECU is controlling the fuel mixture based on input signals received from the Oxygen Sensor. Fuel injection systems typically only operate in closed loop mode during cruising and low engine loads. When a heavy load is placed on the engine, the ECU reverts to Open Loop operation. Not all Fuel Injection systems operate in closed loop mode.

PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE when you are looking for an EFI ecu orshopping for an EFI system. These andother tuning features along with super ACCURATE ignition mapping are wherethose price differences come you see.Thecheapest system is not always the deal you thought it was.DO NOT RELY ON SELF TUNING!!! You will leaveso much left power on the table most of the time.I like to look at it this way my ECU replacedmy Ignition control system so I was able to sell off my MSD system to recoverfunds to further my build.Also I sold offmy manifold and carb to help off set costs.This is just my take on it I could be wrong but have been studying EFItuning and the different systems on and off for about 6 years now when I madethe decision to switch over.

Last edited by Strictly Attitude; 07-27-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Teching In

New heads have hit the mail on there way home will post pics when they arrive
Old 08-02-2017, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Default TPS Blend = MAP/TPS %

Hi John, you are correct.

I would "start" with Alpha-N using this ONLY for engine run-in.
I would observe the MAP reading, add filtering if necessary.
I would Data Log as you suggest.
I would observe the Injector Pulse Width at the RPM ranges.

When this is done, it is VERY easy to recreate using the TPS/MAP Map when SWITCHED to VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY. (VE Based)
This is a different math for the fuel, much better then the Speed Density math and more modern.
The "blend" table is a RPM, Injector PW, MAP/TPS % Mix Object.
The ability to ADD injector PW (fuel) based on a WOT TPS sensor reading is possible.
This NEED can occur WHEN the Inlet Runner Wave corrupts the MAP read with high (118KPA) and Low (90KPA) pressure waves. (104 BARO)

The first report will be the PW at LOWEST KPA. (3000RPM ?)
Then use the TPS Blend to allow for the same PW as the RPM lowers, then goes to engine Idle Speed. (2.?? ms)

Lance
Old 07-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Lance, I tried sending you an email message trying to get my project finished up. I have a few parts left on my list to finish the engine up and I still need the proper software and the base tune. When would be good to call. I would like to get a oil pump drive/cam sensor from you similar to the BBC or efi connection style. I have a few odds and ends. But as alway prefer to give you the business.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 383 sbc Speedmaster Downdraft Intake