Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Mild 355 vortec question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mild 355 vortec question

New here so hello to all. I have been wrenching on cars bikes and tinkering with odds and ends for almost 20 yrs with my dad( usually my go to guy, passed away this last year) I know my way around a wrench and a motor. But by far don't know it all. Been racing figure 8s for a couple years now. Anyhow we built a mild 355 2 yrs ago late 70s 4 bolt main block out of a 3/4 ton truck, since it has been boiled, fluxed, line boerd, torque plate bore and hone, surfaced believe it was 10 thousands off the deck. Stock crank turned 10 20 stock rods corners grount resized new ARP bolts Keith black flat tops, rotating assembly was sent off and balanced. Melling high volume oil pump stock pan. Cam is a edelbrock match grind to the high hoarse 327 and 350 from early 70s double roller chain stock cover, new stock belt drive water pump. 882 small valve cylinder heads boiled fluxed surfaced new guides and valves springs retainers, machined for positive type seals and guides shaved down to allow .500 lift max mild port and polish ( not the best heads but we were in a pinch and the double humps we got at swap meet had fluxed and one was cracked) single plain weiand intake had laying around, edelbrock 650 cfm carb, blue print and balanced distributor from speedway with high output coil. 400 HP sounds great but I race and torque is what I need low end through mid range. Thinking of doing a vortec swap to the 062 can get a new set for under 700 already assembled with valves n such, would need a new intake, rocker ect. What came would run best with this combination and what kind of numbers are we looking at? Would the power gain be worth the money or just a minimal margin?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Are you getting the heads that are already set up for .550 lift?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I ordered a set of scoggy Dickens vortex heads I believe they are set up for .550 lift

Quick Reply: Mild 355 vortec question