Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Building a cheap TBI 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a cheap TBI 350

So my truck (91 k2500) engine is not long for this world. I bought the rig knowing full well that it was eating main bearings. But I've got a second 2 bolt main, single piece rear main seal block and crank that look rather good, as well as a stock bore diameter set of hypereutectic flat top pistons and rings I've been saving. I've got a few sets of heads to choose from, some 33417369 'Mexico' and a pair of 14102193. I know the 193 heads are absolute **** for flow, but can't find any info on the Mexican heads other than the chambers are a massive 75-76cc and that they are less prone to cracking as they're relatively thick casting and high nickel. I've got access to a large Bridgeport mill so I was thinking I will take the Mexico heads and clean them up a bit, die grinder the sharp corners inside the ports, and mill off about .050" from the block mating surface, and run them. Also plan to bore my spare TBI unit out to 46mm, and run a fuel pump and 18psi spring from Harris Performance, and the exhaust already has the factory parts tossed in the trash in favor of a flowmaster 250300 Y pipe, 3" high flow cat, and flowmaster 3" muffler. Anybody have a reason why I shouldn't use these heads? I'll be doing all my own machine work, even grinding the seats, so that's not a factor.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck won't see any serious abuse, just want a tiny bit more stoplight to stoplight pep, also forgot to mention I will be using a new factory carb'd 350 spec cam as well in favor of the junk TBI spec cam, but still mild enough to not likely need a ecu retune.

Quick Reply: Building a cheap TBI 350