Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

New Toy, 454 casting # 4015445

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Toy, 454 casting # 4015445

Hey everyone! So I scored the core for my next project. It's a 454 out of a 1988 South Wind 32' RV. The casting on the block (driver side top by trans bolts) is 4015445. I've Googled this casting and I only see 14015445, so I'm assuming either the first "1" is covered in grease/dirt or it's just not there. I'm at work and just decided to check up on the casting so I asked my wife to send me a pic, and that's what I could make out from the pic I received.

My plans for this thing are to swap out the top end with aluminum heads and single plane intake, go full roller on the valvetrain, and bore it just enough to clean, throw in some new forged slugs, forged rods, and a 4.250 crank.

From what I found on my Google searches it seems that this thing should be a 4 bolt main. I also saw that there's the potential that it might have a forged crank from the factory. I know that factory forged cranks are not as quality as a 4130 aftermarket unit, but if it is forged I might hold off on the 4.250 crank for a bit and run with what it has.

My main curiosities are:

1. How much HP will a factory 454 block hold before you're on the edge of compromising the block and possibly adding a scenic picture window in the side of it? (FYI, I don't plan on spinning it past 7500)

2. If it does have a factory forged crank, how much power will those safely handle?

3. On a BBC (the majority of my engines have been SBC and others that I won't mention), do people do splayed mains like on a SBC? I figured I'm out on that either way if this really is a 4 bolt main because (at least on SBC) you need to start with a 2 bolt block to go splayed 4 bolt. I'm guessing if it's a 4 bolt I can just use ARP studs and that'll alleviate any main cap walk at my desired power level, but I'm here to get info because I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING, lol.

My power goal for this build will be somewhere between 800-1000 fwhp. I'm a big advocate of overbuilding my engines because nothing would **** me off more than to blow up my motor due to weak/inadequate parts.

Well, hopefully that's enough to get a thread started and get some good feedback. Any replies are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

​​​​​​​
Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Wow. Nothing? Help me out here. Am I in the wrong sub-forum? Is there another Internet forum where I might get some feedback?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Google it....
Old 05-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TT427
Google it....
Gee, thanks for the impressive and informative thought. Maybe you missed the part where I said I already tried Google. Maybe I was misinformed thinking a forum is where people come to as questions and get good, helpful feedback.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

This really is not the forum for BBC stuff. Few people check in here.
"454 block power limits" plenty to read ...
Old 05-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

This really is not the forum for BBC stuff. Few people check in here.
"454 block power limits" plenty to read ...

Thank you for that. All I'm trying to find is a fairly active forum for BBC stuff. I know that the SBC and BBC are falling aside because of the LS, but an old school BBC will never lose it's luster with me.

I can Google the living crap out of questions. Hell, I've even decided that Google is a woman because it tries to finish my questions for me before I'm done asking. Nothing beats a group of guys with a vast array of experience in a fruitful conversation though.

I know A LOT of stuff about various types of engines, more in some areas than most. I'm also smart enough to know that I don't know everything, and the day I think I do is when I'm going to build a grenade. I'm not that prideful. I'd rather ask and get tips from someone who's done it.

Thanks again.

Edit: And TT427... you're car looks way badass, at least the car you have as your Avatar

Last edited by nickpohlaandp; 05-31-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.dragzine.com/news/ebay-find-worlds-fastest-street-legal-car-for-sale/

Well I am a vette guy and that was the fastest street legal car briefly. Anyway, I usually stick to yellowbullet, the turbo forums, speedtalk, offshoreonly and teamchevelle...
Old 05-31-2017, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.dragzine.com/news/ebay-find-worlds-fastest-street-legal-car-for-sale/

Well I am a vette guy and that was the fastest street legal car briefly. Anyway, I usually stick to yellowbullet, the turbo forums, speedtalk, offshoreonly and teamchevelle...

Cool deal. I saw YellowBullet, but I wasn't sure if it was specific to particular speed shops or what not. When I went to the home page it looked like each sub-forum was geared toward a shop. Aw heck, I'll figure it out.

So what did that 'vette run?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Teching In

I will never tire of a BBC either. The stock block can handle a lot of power. 2 or 4 bolt mains don't matter as much as they do in the SBC world. Spinning a big block at 7500 is pretty fast. Good valve train and it shouldn't be too hard to do. I see you want 1k HP out of this thing, I'm not near that power level, so I don't have much advice on what you should do to the block. Sorry!
Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

I've actually gotten quite a lot of feedback on another forum. Seems there's still a good following of old school BBC. Anyway, one thing they've helped me realize, and it's not so much what anyone said so much as what I've seen in the replies, advice, and various member sigs, is the fact that I really don't give a **** how much power it makes... I'm after an ET. I wanna see mid 9's and I'm thinking my BBC, properly built, won't need 1000 hp to get me there. I'm seeing 750 being a fairly attainable figure with the correct heads, intake, and valvetrain. I'm just going to start working with what I've got. Someday when the car is ready I'll take it to the track and see what it does. If I need more power, that's what nitrous is for!

Quick Reply: New Toy, 454 casting # 4015445