Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Help me build a stupid reliable LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me build a stupid reliable LT1

Going in a Y-body. Last motor just vacated some rods. Strictly a track car so goal is to be indestructible.

Not looking for a bunch of HP, 330HP would be plenty, just want to make torque in more places.

Using another 4 bolt motor out of a vette that ate a head gasket and swallowed a bunch of water. Figuring the following:
1.) Clean head rebuild, shave a little. (Roller tip rockers, stock lifters, what for springs?)
2.) ARP everything.
3.) Would like some lightweight forged rods (suggestions?)
4.) Suggestions on bearings. . .
5.) Deck block, go 0.030 over. (What for pistons?)
6.) VERY mild cam.
7.) Stock crank.
8.) Roller timing chain.

Any other suggestions? Not shooting for the moon, just want a solid motor that can take some long beatings that I don't have to worry about.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Going in a Y-body. Last motor just vacated some rods. Strictly a track car so goal is to be indestructible.

Not looking for a bunch of HP, 330HP would be plenty, just want to make torque in more places.

Using another 4 bolt motor out of a vette that ate a head gasket and swallowed a bunch of water. Figuring the following:
1.) Clean head rebuild, shave a little. (Roller tip rockers, stock lifters, what for springs?)
2.) ARP everything.
3.) Would like some lightweight forged rods (suggestions?)
4.) Suggestions on bearings. . .
5.) Deck block, go 0.030 over. (What for pistons?)
6.) VERY mild cam.
7.) Stock crank.
8.) Roller timing chain.

Any other suggestions? Not shooting for the moon, just want a solid motor that can take some long beatings that I don't have to worry about.
Scat, Molar have some light weight rods I would go with either 6.0 or 6.125 rods which would make for a lighter piston.

I would look at the Mahle pistons there pistons come with a 1MM 1MM 2MM ring pack I use a lot of there pistons.

I use this family of cams HYD roller only ADV DUR 284/289 - 218/ 222 @.050 on 110 lobe .570 lift with a 1.5 rocker that is offered in different duration's as well,

If your using ARP you need a line hone which on OLD OEM block its the way to go. Zero deck and plate hone for the best ring seal.

I use all Cloyes Hex-A-Just timing sets and it depends if your going to use a step nose cam or not.

If your going to build this why not step up to a 3.750 stroke crank Scat has one for 6.0 rods that will internally balance one piece seal. There about 250.00 you would need to balance it.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
Scat, Molar have some light weight rods I would go with either 6.0 or 6.125 rods which would make for a lighter piston.

I would look at the Mahle pistons there pistons come with a 1MM 1MM 2MM ring pack I use a lot of there pistons.

I use this family of cams HYD roller only ADV DUR 284/289 - 218/ 222 @.050 on 110 lobe .570 lift with a 1.5 rocker that is offered in different duration's as well,

If your using ARP you need a line hone which on OLD OEM block its the way to go. Zero deck and plate hone for the best ring seal.

I use all Cloyes Hex-A-Just timing sets and it depends if your going to use a step nose cam or not.

If your going to build this why not step up to a 3.750 stroke crank Scat has one for 6.0 rods that will internally balance one piece seal. There about 250.00 you would need to balance it.
Many thanks!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Many thanks!

You might look at the GM hot cams 4 different ones to choose from. I have used quite a few of them with great result and there not a lot of money.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Teching In

K, I had a "hot cam" for the current motor but never installed it.

Like I said, the goal isn't a HP monster but complete reliability. Car does chump races so it needs to take 24 hour long floggings.

The stock LT1 (out of a '96 Camaro) took about 4 races before she popped (no warning either ,good oil pressure, good temp, just boom).

Goal is some nicer lightweight components for the rotating assembly w/o going overboard. Don't need a super high rev monster (6k is plenty), just want to make more power in more places.

Question: Car is running OBD 1 w/ a chip. How much will it be able to compensate for?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Google "Ed Wright" for you're OBD1 tuning needs. He's the man, Prob the only Man left that does OBD1. And actually masters in LT1's.

Quick Reply: Help me build a stupid reliable LT1