Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

1988 Iroc Z ENGINE KNOCK??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Iroc Z ENGINE KNOCK??

My 5.7 TPI is making this " knocking noise " it sounds like it's coming from the front lower portion of the engine. It only makes this noise when it is at IDLE and it is WARM. The noise does NOT FOLLOW THE RPMS. In fact the noise completely goes away when you rev it up anything past idle. The noise also goes away when you remove the belt. This led me to believe it was a bad accessory causing the knocking noise . So I went ahead and replaced the harmonic balancer , power steering pump , thermostat , and the water pump. Which all of those have gotten me nowhere . The noise seems to quiet down when I put more pressure on the belt tensioner . Does anyone have any ideas ? I'm not sure where to go from here . I'm not convinced it is in the motor .
Old 08-31-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Motor makes noise.
Remove belt - Noise goes away.
Play with tensioner - Noise goes away.

Have you looked at the tensioner?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Launching!

A long screw driver makes an excellent listening device. It should help you pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing Chain?
Old 05-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Did you figure it out? thinking a new tensioner.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dylan88z
My 5.7 TPI is making this " knocking noise " it sounds like it's coming from the front lower portion of the engine. It only makes this noise when it is at IDLE and it is WARM. The noise does NOT FOLLOW THE RPMS. In fact the noise completely goes away when you rev it up anything past idle. The noise also goes away when you remove the belt. This led me to believe it was a bad accessory causing the knocking noise . So I went ahead and replaced the harmonic balancer , power steering pump , thermostat , and the water pump. Which all of those have gotten me nowhere . The noise seems to quiet down when I put more pressure on the belt tensioner . Does anyone have any ideas ? I'm not sure where to go from here . I'm not convinced it is in the motor .
have you checked the smog pump
Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

I actually had the crank break one time on one of those engines behind the first main cap and it done that. The way it broke caused it to stay together but you could move the balancer slightly.

Quick Reply: 1988 Iroc Z ENGINE KNOCK??