Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

BBC Camaro build

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBC Camaro build

Hey guys, I'm a newbie (old) here on this site. My build is gonna be a 1995 Camaro into a street brawler OLDSCHOOL way BBC non of this LS nonsense lol.
No offense to you LSers out there as I do believe they're capable of great power, however I am a displacement kinda guy lol...
We're gonna stuff a 540 into my mint, never seen snow, 1995 V-6 Camaro. Some ask why, that's the wrong question... WHY NOT is more appropriate.
I've heard good things about the BMR conversion K-frame kits, need to know which one will make this as painless as possible. (BMR feel free to chime in)
Also need to know what headers are the "ones to run" I'm using "My" AK Racing Powermax heads, the have a raised exhaust port which I hope won't affect header fitment. I have the diff, ford 9" and aluminum 3rd with Daytona pinion support and posi 35 spline, 4.30 gear to run a 10.5 x 29 tire... thinking of ZF 6spd for a transmission as it's a stick car...
so letter rip lemme know your thoughts!!!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default BBC Marine Camshaft

Hi ADK, I have many customers who use the BBC in Marine Applications.

The use my DIS ignition and electronic fuel injection.
There are customers of mine who use this engine in the Oil Field.
I manufacture a 24 tooth Crankshaft Target Wheel that fits under the front cover for their needs.

I have a Crower Cams camshaft made to my specification to FIX the Good Port/Bad Port cylinder head of the early BBC.

I can provide these products ?

Lance
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Yes thanks Pantera ... I'm one of our area's known builders of marine performance engines, I mainly build large displacement Chevy based power in either Mercury or my own combinations... we frequently use our custom 2/3 and 4/7 swap custom grinds for some of our more serious builds...
however please feel free to send me a link to your target wheels, I could likely use them down the road... thanks for your input... should you wish to contact me or review my corporate identity feel free to peruse my web page www.akracing.ca
Old 03-14-2018, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I can't argue with you on wanting to put a big motor in. I have one myself, and created a thread covering it and some of the specifics of fitting a big block in here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...fo-thread.html

We have 2 different k-members that will work for your application. Ours offer a ton of clearance, incorporate their own motor mounts, and are rated for street duty as well as track use. We also have a variety of transmission crossmembers to allow you to swap in various transmissions behind the engine, such as a powerglide, th350 or th400. Feel free to give me a call and we can discuss parts and options for your specific application

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Default Bmr

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Well, I can't argue with you on wanting to put a big motor in. I have one myself, and created a thread covering it and some of the specifics of fitting a big block in here:

We have 2 different k-members that will work for your application. Ours offer a ton of clearance, incorporate their own motor mounts, and are rated for street duty as well as track use. We also have a variety of transmission crossmembers to allow you to swap in various transmissions behind the engine, such as a powerglide, th350 or th400. Feel free to give me a call and we can discuss parts and options for your specific application
what are the differences between the 2 kits you're referring to?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did pretty much the same thing with my never seen snow 95 formula only I went SBC because I had a bunch of parts at my disposal. The BMR K member will be nice for your swap, The LT1 uses different motor mount pattern on the sides that only allow you to use 2 of the 3 mounting bolts that will be the way to go with your BB unless you are going to put a front motor plate on it. The process of the SBC wasn't horrible, Had to make some room under the hood for the distributor, Ended up going with a crank trigger because I didn't want to ever had a distributor issue and have to pull the engine to fix it, Now if i have a issue I change the cap and go. I ended up using the t56 i had in the car, Went with a early SBC with 2pc rear main seal to t56 conversion flywheel and it was a really nice piece. The small block was fun to shoe horn into the car so the BB will be even more fun lol. I work with High performance BBC for a living, I build Circle track engines for the dirt modifieds we race here in the northeast. Your going to have fun on this project and have a sweet car when its done!!!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my car as it sits now, Waiting for winter to end so I can drive it again haha!

Old 03-15-2018, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebob5
I did pretty much the same thing with my never seen snow 95 formula only I went SBC because I had a bunch of parts at my disposal. The BMR K member will be nice for your swap, The LT1 uses different motor mount pattern on the sides that only allow you to use 2 of the 3 mounting bolts that will be the way to go with your BB unless you are going to put a front motor plate on it. The process of the SBC wasn't horrible, Had to make some room under the hood for the distributor, Ended up going with a crank trigger because I didn't want to ever had a distributor issue and have to pull the engine to fix it, Now if i have a issue I change the cap and go. I ended up using the t56 i had in the car, Went with a early SBC with 2pc rear main seal to t56 conversion flywheel and it was a really nice piece. The small block was fun to shoe horn into the car so the BB will be even more fun lol. I work with High performance BBC for a living, I build Circle track engines for the dirt modifieds we race here in the northeast. Your going to have fun on this project and have a sweet car when its done!!!
Your build, and yourself helped a lot in my build and swap, thanks. Since OP has a V6 car he'll 100% need a new k member. Looks like a fun swap with a lot of creative curse words that are coming up haha!

OP a ZF6? Isn't that a truck trans, that is a MASSIVE piece of iron to put in there. If you want a manual there are plenty of options that will live behind BB power but "fit" size and gearing wise into your car a lot better.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Default ZF 6spd

Originally Posted by biketopia
Your build, and yourself helped a lot in my build and swap, thanks. Since OP has a V6 car he'll 100% need a new k member. Looks like a fun swap with a lot of creative curse words that are coming up haha!

OP a ZF6? Isn't that a truck trans, that is a MASSIVE piece of iron to put in there. If you want a manual there are plenty of options that will live behind BB power but "fit" size and gearing wise into your car a lot better.
no sir the ZF 6spd is a Corvette transmission, also found in some light duty truck, which would suggest its strength IMO, I'll be reaching out to Paul Lee (Mcleod Clutches) for a clutch... I bought my first funny car from him, maybe he'll remember me lol, and yes definitely going the BMR route for K frame...

Last edited by adk61; 03-16-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Teching In

pics to come
Old 01-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Default AK Racing/

Old 01-19-2019, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

OP isnt ******* around.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:16 PM
Teching In

not my first rodeo, however been several years since last chassis build
Old 01-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Old 01-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Teching In

I chose to build my own components, however for those who don't have access to things like CNC plazma and metal fab equipment, companies like BMR are your best friends!!! I used the BMR BBC turbo K-member for simplicity sake, when a company has a painless swap item such as this, why Phuk around!!!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2

Hey Eric thanks for your help, check out progress on my build thus far, feel free to reach out, I have some things going on in transmission tunnel!! lol
Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
OP isnt ******* around.
hahah damn right!! This is looking sick!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by biketopia
hahah damn right!! This is looking sick!
Thanks, it is a labor of love.. this is fosho!! BTW I've since come to my senses, and opted to go TH400 with a brake and 4000 stall, who am I kidding lol I'm getting too old to be bangin gears every time I wanna drive this thing lol

the power is a 548 BBC with my (AKRacing Powermax 340s ) Killer heads, and of coarse a power adder will come along once I've got a handle on it, will make 700ish N/A and then y'all know what happens when ya add BOOST!!!

not a bad ride for the street, don't give 2 chits if it ever sees the track... maybe just to dial it in...
Old 01-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Default AK Racing

So the standard fitment for BBC in a 4th Gen Camaro is to trim the cowling back to the windshield... downfall is elimination of windshield wiper transmission and linkage..
So we don't wanna be caught in the rain..

We came up with a solution for that.. the driver's side mounted wiper motor drives the passenger side wiper pivot and then thru tierod drives the drivers side pivot, when trimming the cowl the pass side wiper pivot is eliminated...
As you can see we have relocated the pivot to the left of the brake booster and made a custom drag link so the motor can remain in OEM location... now we move on to the custom single wiper system similar to that of a Mercedes Benz... more on this as it comes...
"Hope y'all like the one off custom **** we do"

Old 01-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Teching In

still have to finish off the edges as they're still raw from torch cutting