vortec heads with ls6 springs "and" retainers? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

vortec heads with ls6 springs "and" retainers?

Old 05-07-2018, 02:38 PM
  #1  
TECH Enthusiast
Thread Starter
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 660
Default vortec heads with ls6 springs "and" retainers?

Putting a budget TPI car together using the LT4 hot cam with L31 heads. I have a set of LS6 Springs and retainers. Everything I read says use the Comp part number for the retainer. Is there a reason I can't use the stock ones I know I have to use the standard keepers.
gearheads78 is offline  
Old 05-07-2018, 09:07 PM
  #2  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
TT427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 331
Default

Pretty sure the retainer gets you a good bit of extra clearance...
TT427 is offline  
Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 AM
  #3  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 593
Default

Originally Posted by gearheads78 View Post
Putting a budget TPI car together using the LT4 hot cam with L31 heads. I have a set of LS6 Springs and retainers. Everything I read says use the Comp part number for the retainer. Is there a reason I can't use the stock ones I know I have to use the standard keepers.
I have this exact set up (vortec heads, hot cam, 1.6 rr,) you need the comp retainers. They give you a good bit of clearance on the seals, I used another type of seal I found in some internet searches I can dig up if you need it. The bigger thing though is when using 1.6 rockers the comp retainer gives you a good bit more clearance before hitting coil bind.

Edit: Sealed Power Part # ST2015 are the valve seals I picked up, haven't had an issue with em yet.
and this https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...ortec-lt4.html is the thread i got my part numbers from.

Last edited by biketopia; 05-08-2018 at 07:13 AM.
biketopia is offline  
Old 05-08-2018, 10:19 PM
  #4  
TECH Enthusiast
Thread Starter
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 660
Default

Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
I have this exact set up (vortec heads, hot cam, 1.6 rr,) you need the comp retainers. They give you a good bit of clearance on the seals, I used another type of seal I found in some internet searches I can dig up if you need it. The bigger thing though is when using 1.6 rockers the comp retainer gives you a good bit more clearance before hitting coil bind.

Edit: Sealed Power Part # ST2015 are the valve seals I picked up, haven't had an issue with em yet.
and this https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...ortec-lt4.html is the thread i got my part numbers from.
thanks man
gearheads78 is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 07:15 AM
  #5  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 593
Default

Happy to help
biketopia is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM
  #6  
Launching!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 293
Default

I used Comp 787 retainers and LS6 springs on the 906 heads on my Express van. Make sure to get the 0.050" offset retainers. They help with the LS6 springs installed height and keep you out of coil bind with the 1.6s. LS6 springs coil bind at ~0.600 lift and you lose about 0.100" on a Vortec head of installed height compared to a LS. With the offset retainers you are usually good to 0.550" lift with 0.030" to spare.
Fast355 is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 AM
  #7  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 593
Default

Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
I used Comp 787 retainers and LS6 springs on the 906 heads on my Express van. Make sure to get the 0.050" offset retainers. They help with the LS6 springs installed height and keep you out of coil bind with the 1.6s. LS6 springs coil bind at ~0.600 lift and you lose about 0.100" on a Vortec head of installed height compared to a LS. With the offset retainers you are usually good to 0.550" lift with 0.030" to spare.
Interesting, thanks for posting that, I didn't realize they were an off set keeper. I had read to use those, or the stockers, but no reason why. Didn't really dig into it much after that but it makes sense. OP if you can swing it, I'd suggest the keepers too, with the hot cam and 1.6 rockers I'm on the ragged edge of coil bind spec.
biketopia is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: