Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

New Turbo SBC Project!

Old 01-03-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Turbo SBC Project!

This car belongs to Ernie Taylor. He bought the car a few years back and it has slowly reached this point. We used to run it in some local True 10.50 classes, but after a few nitrous accidents, Ernie decided he didn't like nitrous very much, and thought it was time to step it up.

Our chassis guy is Kevin Bickerstaff. He's based out of Katy, Texas. He worked for Darrin's Hot Rod's here in Houston for a few years. Kevin is a great guy. Not only is he doing the chassis, he's doing all of the turbo piping for us. Right now the plans for the chassis are:

25.2 Chassis
Back-Half
Double Frame-Rail
4-Link
Fabbed 9"
Mark Williams Steering Column
AJE Front Suspension

This is going to allow us to run in a bunch of different classes. Right now we're going to run in The Clash Of The Titans' 'Super Street 10.50' class. We're limited to a 29.5x10.5W tire and a 91mm turbo. The tubs are going to allow us to use up to a 33x10.5W tire if needed.

The motor is a 406 CID, 18* headed Small-Block. We've started with a Dart Little M block (4.155" bore), Crower 4340 Steel Crank, Manley 4340 Steel Rods, and custom CP pistons. It's been topped off by some very nice cylinder heads, complete JESEL valvetrain, and a wet-sump oiling system. Compression is going to be right at 8.5:1.

We're going to stick with a Powerglide for now, but the second that thing let's go we're going to use a Bruno. Hopefully this Powerglide holds up long enough for us to get a good tune going. LOL.

The manifold is at Wilson right now having the injector bungs/fuel rails welded in. We're going to be using a Big Stuff 3 to get the car dialed in. Don Bailey is our tuner. He's based out of a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. He's responsible for a bunch of the Outlaw 10.50 turbo Mustangs that have become so popular in the last 3 years. He's an outstanding guy. The project is pretty much his design. He's the brains behind the entire thing.

Once everything gets dialed in with the 91mm turbo and the 29.5" tires we're going to throw on a 106mm turbo, the 33x10.5W's, and go do some Outlaw 10.50 racing!

Without more mumbling from me, here are the pictures.

Drivers Side Header:

Same Thing:

Front View of the car:

Our 91mm Mock-Up Turbo:

A Close-Up of the Turbo:

I can't wait for this thing to be done. We're looking to run some 7.50's with the 91mm turbo.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like its gonna be a fun ssetup for sure. Wat suburb is ur tuner out of?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Stuff looks good!! Should be a lot of fun when done.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy engine? why? or am i mistaken due to being so used to seing Ford distributors in the front of the motor? if Chevy, what heads? i have a 427 Dart Rocket block using Dart 18* heads and am likely going with a TT setup due to ease of turbo pipe/exhaust routing. running an Accell Gen 7 though. personally, my goal is around 1200hp on pump gas and trying not to push the limits of the motor and maxing at 1500hp on race fuel, maybe. that's a lot of money and i'm not in a hurry to see how much the motor can take since i'm not going to race regularly. just more of a great conversation piece and something i can take great pride in at shows and at the track. my motor was built by Fast Times Motorworks, and will be tuned by FLP. can't wait to see this thing come together. keep us posted.

Dave
Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
Chevy engine? why? or am i mistaken due to being so used to seing Ford distributors in the front of the motor? if Chevy, what heads? i have a 427 Dart Rocket block using Dart 18* heads and am likely going with a TT setup due to ease of turbo pipe/exhaust routing. running an Accell Gen 7 though. personally, my goal is around 1200hp on pump gas and trying not to push the limits of the motor and maxing at 1500hp on race fuel, maybe. that's a lot of money and i'm not in a hurry to see how much the motor can take since i'm not going to race regularly. just more of a great conversation piece and something i can take great pride in at shows and at the track. my motor was built by Fast Times Motorworks, and will be tuned by FLP. can't wait to see this thing come together. keep us posted.

Dave
It is probably a 351 bored and stroked out to 406
Old 01-03-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by granitemonkey
It is probably a 351 bored and stroked out to 406
It's a Chevy, not a Ford.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chevy engine? why? or am i mistaken due to being so used to seing Ford distributors in the front of the motor?
Dave
the distributor in the front is what fooled me
Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by granitemonkey
the distributor in the front is what fooled me
That's not where the distributor goes.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Restricted User

Nice project, should be a screamer when done. Let me know when you can the 91mm turbo, I'll be standing next to the trash bin.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:00 AM
9 Second Club

lol.....the dist. hole is in the back of the motor. that's why i asked if it was a Chevy because i thought/think all Fords have dist. in the front. still curious why though. just to be different i guess?

Dave
Old 01-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Restricted User

It's unique, plus he can make the same power for less money. I think for the same motor with a blue label he would probably have to shell out another $3,500 - 7,000. Small block chebby's are the most inexpensive motor to build...period. That is a good enough reason for me.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
That's not where the distributor goes.
I see now, my dumbass didnt get a good look of the pic
Old 01-04-2005, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

actually, for what he's building the price should be relatively close to the same cost. when i was looking at going with a 427 sbf Dart motor, heads done, fuel inj, and turbo with IC, i was looking at about give or take a grand over/under what my 427 sbc setup will cost me. the ford motor was to be a Bennett, and my chevy is a Fast Times. two great builders of their profession, respectively. i know that use to be an old adage, but you'd be surprised how untrue that is now a days.

later,
Dave

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 01-25-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

actually, for what he's building the price should be relatively close to the same cost. when i was looking at going with a 427 Dart motor, heads done, fuel inj, and turbo with IC, i was looking at about give or take a grand over/under what my 427 sbc setup will cost me. the ford motor was to be a Bennett, and my chevy is a Fast Times. two great builders of their profession, respectively. i know that use to be an old adage, but you'd be surprised how untrue that is now a days.

later,
Dave
Yes, the price would be relatively the same, but he had been building this motor when it came time to turn the Mustang into the racecar, so in it went.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:57 AM
7 Second Club

looks like a sweet set-up! Good luck, and keep us posted!

Derek
Old 01-07-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

UPDATE: The drivers side header and cross-over tube are done. Our Wastegate and Blow-Off Valve are supposed to arrive today. The plan for this weekend is to take the motor out and so we can see the damage on the inside and start ordering the new pistons/rods.

Our FAB 9" also arrived today. Our chassis man said it's a perfect fit. He's going to get it all in and then start on the tubs and cage. He said in two weeks the tubs and cage will be done, and he can start laying the new floor in.

After that it's time to get the intercooler and fuel system in.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

that is looking pro
Old 01-25-2005, 06:59 PM
9 Second Club

hey, it's been a couple weeks............where are the new pics with the rails and injectors? and any further progress?

Dave
Old 01-25-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

I wanna see too!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

nice!!!

What size are the primaries on those headers?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Turbo SBC Project!