Notices
Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

4th Gen Carbed 350 Swap - Done!

 
Old 10-22-2005, 03:43 PM
  #1  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 4th Gen Carbed 350 Swap - Done!

Hi guys!

This message is from a long time LS1tech.com reader, but first time poster.

I've been reading alot about people wanting to do this swap, and I must say that alot of people (even the gear-heads) have been incorrect in most of their information and advice. I'm not flaming anybody, I'm just saying that more people who have done this swap need to post, and people who are only speculating need to let the reader know that they are simply speculating.

One of the reasons I took on this project is because of all the people saying it couldn't be done or it would be cheaper to buy a V8 camaro than to make your own.

This is just plain WRONG.

So you guys thinking about doing this swap, take it from someone that has done it rather than from someone who has thought about doing it. If you have the means to do it at home, in your driveway, with nothing but hand tools, some elbow grease, and a little bit of determination, go for it! Don't be discouraged by the nay-sayers!

Having said that, here's the deal with my Camaro V6-V8 swap:

I bought the car with a blown 3.4L V-6. It's a '94 with a ton of miles on it so I got it pretty cheap (750 bucks!). Then I spent another $750.00 on parts and materials. $1,500 bucks so far? Not too bad.

Right after I bought the car, I found a mid-80's Caprice for sale locally that had just what I needed: a 350 engine and a 700R4 transmission. The car was beat up, so I picked it up for $250.00 and yanked the motor and tranny. With some wise spending and a little luck, I spent less than $2,000 on the Camaro and I LOVE IT! I'd do it all over again if I had the chance!

The only thing I did to the motor was put a beefy cam in it and resealed everything. The tranny was good to go so I changed the fluid and filter and buttoned it up. Then came the fabrication...

I bought a torque plate, headers, and fuel pressure regulator from Summit Racing. Installing the torque plate took some measuring and careful consideration, but after that everything just sorta fell into place. With the motor sitting in there just right, I had to trim up the cowl to make the air cleaner fit, but I dig the way it looks.

The only thing left was to hook up the rear-end, so I went to the bone-yard and picked up a driveshaft from a late 80's Z28. Fit like a dream...

I've been driving it every day and I must say, the reward after my hard work has paid off tremendously!

While I will admit this job isn't for someone that doesn't know alot about cars, it's a fun project for someone that does! I lucked out with what I spent on this project, but had I listened to everyone who said it couldn't be done or I couldn't afford it, I would never know the satisfaction I feel now!

Thanks to everyone here that compelled me to take on this project! You guys that are thinking about taking on a project like mine, get off yer hind-ends and get it done!

Here's some inspiration: http://www.freewebs.com/dotcomslash/

-Chuck
dotcomslash is offline  
Old 10-22-2005, 09:50 PM
  #2  
11 Second Club
 
SeeYaSucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Liberty SC
Posts: 254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thats exactly what I want to do, except I want to do a six-speed with a carbed 383. I already have the V6 camaro with a 5 speed, so the hyds. is already there for the six speed, my question is, is the V6 K-member the same as the V8 (LT1) K member, it so I could use LT1 motor mounts instead of a motor plate. Congratulations on your Project, sure makes me feel a lot better about starting this project.
SeeYaSucker is offline  
Old 10-22-2005, 10:07 PM
  #3  
Launching!
 
Thunder175's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just out of curiosity, what oil pan did you use? And which headers as well??
Thunder175 is offline  
Old 10-23-2005, 09:23 AM
  #4  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

SLVRZLS1 - Thanks for your reply, your response was exactly what I was looking for! Get some more of these swaps done! I love it...

As for the crossmember, they are NOT the same. The motor mount bolt holes are different. A neighbor up the street has one that I was checking out before I started my project and that was one of the reasons I decided to use a torque plate instead. Made everything alot easier in the end.

Thunder175 - I used the stock oil pan and these headers: http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...760+4294908198

The amazing thing was how well they fit. I thought it was going to be tough, but they made the job quite easy. They're made for an LT-1 car, but bolted right up. Gotta love small block Chevy's!

I'll be happy to answer any questions about my project for those who are interested. Just post 'em here!
dotcomslash is offline  
Old 10-23-2005, 09:55 AM
  #5  
11 Second Club
 
SeeYaSucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Liberty SC
Posts: 254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hows your clearance on your distributer? which did you use the HEI? Thanks for the info.
SeeYaSucker is offline  
Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 PM
  #6  
11 Second Club
 
SeeYaSucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Liberty SC
Posts: 254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Also what throttle cable did you use? I wonder if one out of a TBI or carbed third gen would work?
SeeYaSucker is offline  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:23 AM
  #7  
Staging Lane
iTrader: (6)
 
400hp ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Woodstock, ga
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SLVRZLS1
Thats exactly what I want to do, except I want to do a six-speed with a carbed 383. I already have the V6 camaro with a 5 speed, so the hyds. is already there for the six speed, my question is, is the V6 K-member the same as the V8 (LT1) K member, it so I could use LT1 motor mounts instead of a motor plate. Congratulations on your Project, sure makes me feel a lot better about starting this project.
the stock lt1 motor mounts will not work the mounts bolt up in different spots if you are looking for a 383 i have one for sale and i live in georgia so were no that far away i am doing a 454 big block in a 94 so i have run into the mounts not working i bought a bmr k-member and if fits great.
400hp ss is offline  
Old 10-24-2005, 01:21 PM
  #8  
On The Tree
 
Red95Formula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 114
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Cool, I am currently working on a carbed 406 for my 95.
Red95Formula is offline  
Old 10-24-2005, 01:45 PM
  #9  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
bc56f100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 307
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 400hp ss
the stock lt1 motor mounts will not work the mounts bolt up in different spots if you are looking for a 383 i have one for sale and i live in georgia so were no that far away i am doing a 454 big block in a 94 so i have run into the mounts not working i bought a bmr k-member and if fits great.

Well actually they will work. The only problem is that you can only use 2 bolts on either side. I was worried about this when putting mine in but with a 383 6-speed and a 175 fogger kit nothing moved broke or what not. You just have to take the mounts and line them up on the back 2 bolt holes on the block, and it puts the motor in the right spot. Of course now I am putting on a good sized turnbuckle from my motor to the fram to keep any kind of torque directed to the chassis intead of the motor mounts. Hope it helps

Billy
bc56f100 is offline  
Old 10-24-2005, 02:02 PM
  #10  
Staging Lane
iTrader: (6)
 
400hp ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Woodstock, ga
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bc56f100
Well actually they will work. The only problem is that you can only use 2 bolts on either side. I was worried about this when putting mine in but with a 383 6-speed and a 175 fogger kit nothing moved broke or what not. You just have to take the mounts and line them up on the back 2 bolt holes on the block, and it puts the motor in the right spot. Of course now I am putting on a good sized turnbuckle from my motor to the fram to keep any kind of torque directed to the chassis intead of the motor mounts. Hope it helps

Billy
Yea 2 bolts would be fine on a 383 but on a 454 i would rather have 3
400hp ss is offline  
Old 10-24-2005, 02:38 PM
  #11  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
bc56f100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 307
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yea I hear ya!
bc56f100 is offline  
Old 10-24-2005, 06:42 PM
  #12  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hows your clearance on your distributer? which did you use the HEI? Thanks for the info.
Also what throttle cable did you use? I wonder if one out of a TBI or carbed third gen would work?

Clearance at the distributor (stock HEI) was no good. I had to trim the underside of the cowl alot. Luckily the sheet metal was thin and easy to cut. Once I had the clearance I needed, I added some vinyl L-Channel weatherstrip material (from Lowes) to channel water away from the opening so when it rains it doesn't soak the distributor. All in all an afternoon of work.

As far as the throttle cable, I fabricated a clip to use the original cable on my quadrajet. I only had to drill a small hole and clip it into place, then screw in my clip in and wallah!
Well actually they will work. The only problem is that you can only use 2 bolts on either side.
Personally I wouldn't want only two bolts holding a stroker in place, especially if it's a 400+ HP stroker! The torque plate is an easy fab that will hold a ton of HP with very little added vibration (and no vibration if you add eurathane sleeved bolt hole grommets). Mine is "hard bolted" to the frame and it actually makes it rumble like a muscle car, yet doesn't make it uncomfortable. Ultimately, you should do what you feel is right, but there's no way I'd put a moderate to high HP motor on 2 bolts per side...
dotcomslash is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 02:52 AM
  #13  
TECH Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
TimTaylor75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 417
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I am currently underway with this project as well. Good to see some others that have completed the process and are happy with the results.

Nice job!
TimTaylor75 is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:31 AM
  #14  
Launching!
 
Thunder175's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My project will be started this weekend... my setup should be a little more hardcore though.
Thunder175 is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:32 PM
  #15  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: dinwiddie,virginia
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

madman makes plates to work for 199 and appletree racing sells conversion motor mounts for 174 shipped to your door c.o.d. i went with the apple tree mounts myself...i am using a gutless lowpro distributor and a crank trigger...my car is about 3/4 way done...just need a rear and engine now...i got a short shaft th350 and sphoon makes a premade driveshaft for 340 dollars...waiting for my vfn fiberglass dash to come in now....im going with all autometer pro-comp ultra-lite gauges

my only question is what yall guys that have done this did about fuel system....thats the only thing i havent started addressing
tonylittell is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:37 PM
  #16  
Launching!
 
Thunder175's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tonylittell
madman makes plates to work for 199 and appletree racing sells conversion motor mounts for 174 shipped to your door c.o.d. i went with the apple tree mounts myself...i am using a gutless lowpro distributor and a crank trigger...my car is about 3/4 way done...just need a rear and engine now...i got a short shaft th350 and sphoon makes a premade driveshaft for 340 dollars...waiting for my vfn fiberglass dash to come in now....im going with all autometer pro-comp ultra-lite gauges

my only question is what yall guys that have done this did about fuel system....thats the only thing i havent started addressing
Maybe I missied it, but what motor are you going with?
Thunder175 is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 PM
  #17  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (14)
 
Camaro396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 5,096
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

so how hard would you rate this project? i have a 350 small block and 700R4 trans sitting in the garage begging to go in something, i would love to swap it into my 94 v6 camaro...but im a highschool kid on a limited budjet and a 2 car garage..ive heard alot of people say you can use stock LT1 motor mounts, and the stock k member in a v6, what do you do for wiring? it would deffinatly be a carb motor,any info would be greatly appriciated...thanks!
-Lance
Camaro396 is offline  
Old 10-26-2005, 06:22 AM
  #18  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: dinwiddie,virginia
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Thunder175
Maybe I missied it, but what motor are you going with?
somewhere around 400ci not too sure yet....my heads are good for what ever i throw at them...lol
tonylittell is offline  
Old 10-26-2005, 06:25 AM
  #19  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: dinwiddie,virginia
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Camaro396
so how hard would you rate this project? i have a 350 small block and 700R4 trans sitting in the garage begging to go in something, i would love to swap it into my 94 v6 camaro...but im a highschool kid on a limited budjet and a 2 car garage..ive heard alot of people say you can use stock LT1 motor mounts, and the stock k member in a v6, what do you do for wiring? it would deffinatly be a carb motor,any info would be greatly appriciated...thanks!
-Lance

it gets pretty involved....you wont be doing it in a weekend....and depending on how serious you get with it will depend on what you do for wiring and gauges.....

motor mounts wont work .....you will be buying mounts or motor plates
tonylittell is offline  
Old 10-26-2005, 06:27 AM
  #20  
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: dinwiddie,virginia
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tonylittell
somewhere around 400ci not too sure yet....my heads are good for what ever i throw at them...lol
worrying bout my suspension and everything and once i finish the rest of the car ill get serious about engine....right now im just buying parts that will work for any aplication,(distributor,intake,waterpump ect) pretty much anything that bolts to the motor i have
tonylittell is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4th Gen Carbed 350 Swap - Done!


About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: