Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Making my own headers. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Making my own headers. Questions

I've got to make my own headers for my 95 Z since I've out my 454 BBC in. I thought about buying some block huggers and lengthening them out to be long tubes, but I think they will hit on my K-member. Looks like I'm going to have to go with a header kit and make them myself. Has anyone done this and if so could you give me some info before I jump head first.

Heres some links to pictures of muy set up. Maybe these will help you understand what kind of room I have to work with.

Motor is in

K-member
Old 02-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Teching In

i think you are going to have to start from scratch. 2" I assume?

You can get sharp radius bends and 2" can turn pretty sharp. You will probably want slip tubes because it would be a bear to drop the headers in one piece. If you make it with slip tubes that slide into the collectors, you can fill all available space with tubes and not worry about getting them in and out. I had a set of 2 3/8" lemons that fit easily in my car with the engine and tranny in place. Just had to drop the starter and oil filter and they would go through the gap from the bottom.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i just finished making a set of turbo headers for my 01 ss.....i would get a set of flanges and a bunch of pipe and bends...and just trial and error it...thats what i did.

came out awesome.

speedway motors actually has a bunch of crazy bends you can buy...thats what i did.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look too bad, spacewise. I wouldn't worry about try to make the headers equal length - that's more of a race thing to go with a tuned intake - most LTs are 'convenience' headers and have tubes that vary up to 10".

I would modify a set of headers that were close to fitting before I started from scratch. Remember the 'rocking' of the motor - you can run tighter clearances on one side than the other. Good luck.

Jim
Old 02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Some tricks that help a bunch:
1. Position the collectors where you want them, then 'fill the gap' from the ports as below.
2. Use some of that corrugated aluminum tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the aircleaner on old carbureted V-8s. ( second best is old vacuum cleaner hose) It's easy to weave four of these around until you get a good fit, then replace them one at a time with the real steel.
3. Stepped headers are not only state of the art, it is a ton easier to join sections with an ovelap rather than struggling to achieve a perfect butt joint.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply's. I'm looking forward to jumping into this wheter I modify a new set or start from scratch.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Teching In

why don't you just go turbo at the same time and kill two birds with one stone LOL LOL.

Here are some pics of my junk from this week - mocking up the turbo headers. The collectors are not in their final resting place - they will be shorter - just using it to hold the tubes in place...

Old 02-28-2006, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

would starting with a set of ls1 headers and tweaking them be easier. the spacing of the tubes should be more like the bb
Old 02-28-2006, 12:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LUMP....have any more pics? Maybe not so close up? Is that a 1st gen car?