Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Big torque motor for my bus.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big torque motor for my bus.

I just bought a 1993 GMC School bus and it could use a bit more power, its got a TBI 350 and is lacking in the power department. So I need a build plan for a small block with massive low and midrange. And getting a bigblock isnt an option.

Thanks for the help and if you guys want to see pictures I'll take some and post them up.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, i vote to have FattyMcTrickle temporarily banned, if not removed from this board for asking a quetion in reguards to a "bus"! j/k.

well, unless you're willing to drop "massive" amounts of cash on this build, you're not going to get "massive" anything unless your description of massive torque is different from mine. i'd just leave this thing well enough alone, or rebuild as stock if it's in need of an overhaul. it's a bus! you'll never get much of a power to weight ratio without dropping a ton of money, and gutting the bus down to it's frame. the money would probably be better used elsewhere i'm guessing, like in another vehicle with a few thousand less pounds. sorry for the answer, but i'm not sure anyone else was planning on chiming in with anything much different and i don't know what you're expecting to do or get out of this thing. fire away if you need to.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FattyMcTrickle
I just bought a 1993 GMC School bus and it could use a bit more power, its got a TBI 350 and is lacking in the power department. So I need a build plan for a small block with massive low and midrange. And getting a bigblock isnt an option.

Thanks for the help and if you guys want to see pictures I'll take some and post them up.
Hello FattyMcTickle, The way to more low & midrange power {r/e Torque} is more cubic inches, a blower or nitrous {or remove weight}. You mentioned that a big block is out. So that leaves you with a bigger inch small block, nitrous, a blower or cut a bunch of weight off with a torch {free Torque}. You can go up to 472 cubic inches with a small block but it's not cheap {Scott Shafiroff has a 472 small block motor w/ 600 + for $12 g's or so}. I'd say no to nitrous because of the weight of a bus {plus it'll scare the kids? Just kidding ya!} A blower would probably be the least expensive way to get more power. Oh and everyone has there own definition of 'massive' and on a board like this sometimes massive isn't even 1000 Ft. Pounds. You might want to use the termanology "more" rather than "massive" {that'll cut down on the teasing . So I guess my three questions to you are 1) what exactly are you trying to achieve??? 2) how much money do you have to spend??? 3) did you rule out a big block because of fitment issues or money issues??? Some motor homes go with blown big blocks for more power, but keep in mind this isn't tire burning power, it just enables them to get out of there own way.... Yep, put up some pictures..... bill

ps, I know you said "no" to a big block but www.sdpc2000.com has a 502 big block for $5200, puts out 512 ft. lbs @ 2850, part # 88890534 or convert to a diesel???

Last edited by billsbird; 03-21-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:40 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

Figure the TBI 350 in a bus puts out 150hp/250ft lbs stock. I would assume he'd be happy with 400hp/450-500 ft lbs. You can do that extremely easy, and cheap. Just build or buy a 383 and have fun with your new found torque and hp. A very mild 383 will easily put 400/450ft lbs.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I'd be perfectly happy with something about 350-450 ft/lbs. but the RPM at which power is made is important, I want torque from idle to like 3k. I'm not looking to do a burnout or race but I wouldn't mind not having to aviod large hills. I was thinking I could go carb'd for simplicity and get a cheap 400 with a rv cam (I hate to say that) but I don't know quite what to look for.

And just for some backround I'm 17 and me and another friend threw some money in to use it as a mobile hang out spot. I work as a (intern) Tech at a local dealership so there is nothing I can't do myself and the engine is actually very easy to work on.

Quick Reply: Big torque motor for my bus.