Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

? about wiring up BBC in 95 Z-28

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? about wiring up BBC in 95 Z-28

I'm getting ready to wire everything up so that I can start the BBC and listen to it run in the car. I've checked out shoebox's page http://shbox.com/page/index.html and I've gotten the wire colors from the ignition switch.

They are:
Accessary- Brown wire
Run- Orange wire
Start- Yellow wire

I need to wire up my MSD ignition, starter and Auto Meter Gauges. What I need to know is that I've got the correct colors for this.

Example:

Run wire for my gauges and yellow wire hooks to my starter to crank motor. Any advice will be appreciated I don't know that much about wiring a car other that sound systems.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be wrong but GM has used Purple for the last 40+ year to fire the starter?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been able to do some testing since my post. In the fuse box next to the drivers side door theres a fuse (crank) I tested it with my switch and that is the one for the ignition. It has a yellow wire running to it coming from the switch. I don't know about a purple wire but there could be on somewhere in the wiring. I'm just going to rewire from the fuse box to the starter to keep it simple.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well you are looking for the purple wire to run the starter. it comes out of the ignition switch to the Nuetral switch(On clutch pedal or A4 shifter) then goes to the VATS relays behind the dash between the Glove box and the passenger door which then goes through the fire wall and to the Starter.

At this point mine runn's two relays(I installed) that feed direct power from the battery to the Starter. I use a Ford starter Solenoid to run the main Starter feed and a Bosche 40amp relay to run the GM Solenoid. So far this combination has fixed the Voltage drop I was getting.

I use the 95 GM Manuals to do the wire chasing. You can probably find a set fairly cheap on E-bay and they are invaluable for stuff like you are doing