Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Cheapest way to go fast!!!!!

Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest way to go fast!!!!!

Question:
I have a 1994 Camaro in decent shape that I bought for only $400, so I have very little invested in it.
3 weeks ago I bought an 05 GTO (man I love this car), anyways I was thinking about keeping the camaro around making a *****-out drag car out of it. I am way too chicken to do any mods to the Goat.

What is the cheapest way I can make the Camaro a respectable drag car??
I have no problem gutting the interior and stuff like that. What I was thinking was dropping a 454 and tranny in. I can get one pretty cheap but I am sure I would have to rebuild it. I feel I am pretty mechanically inclined (I rebuilt my 700R4) so I am not afraid of rebuilding an engine. Come to think of it I rebuild a 345 V8 once before.

Bottom line, I want a CHEAP drag car, that guzzles gas ferociously and is completly un-streetable. Also it must be obnoxiously loud, I mean like makes small children cry LOUD.

Any suggestions
Thanks
UofM
Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like your one the right track with gutting the interior and a 454BB. Just make sure the powertrain can handle the torque of the BB. It'll sound meaner than hell and run like it to. Drop some weight and drop a built engine in and have fun.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

I'm sorry this is off topic but Mountain Motor I read it earlier on a post of yours, but I love that 1st quote in your sig. Also, a 454bb sounds like a great idea in the camaro, but you should do atleast some minor bolt ons to the goat.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, although it's not cheap by most guys standards, i can't think of ANY way of running 8's cheaper than the ad i just posted last night for my "Fast Times" built EFI 427sbc,Coan th400, Hipster 9" n2o converter, and all the fixings! lol. here's a link to the ad in the f.s. section......... https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/496517-8-second-capable-pkg-deal-pump-gas-efi-427-sbc-dart-coan-hipster-more-pics.html and please forgive me for whoring it out, but it'll make an incredible setup for someone looking for something to go fast in without worrying about specific class rules. thanks for looking.

Dave
Old 04-27-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might wanna shoot for causing little kids to have nightmares and require counseling after you drive by, lol. thats what Im shooting for,

-john
Old 04-28-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
I'm sorry this is off topic but Mountain Motor I read it earlier on a post of yours, but I love that 1st quote in your sig. Also, a 454bb sounds like a great idea in the camaro, but you should do atleast some minor bolt ons to the goat.
Thanks bud . I've just had some problems with women in the past and I always tell people the more I find out about women the more I like my car and they always get a kick out of it, that's probably why I'm single .
Old 04-29-2006, 12:27 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

i'll make you one killer deal on a 555 big block if you wanna run low 8's high 7's. with a trans braked th400 and 9.5 nitrous converter just hope the car will take it.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1 lol. Buy a Geo and put the BBC in that j/k. Gut the interior, BBC would be awesome in it
Old 05-01-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

cheap way to go fast hmmmm (like I never thought of it before but no money and too much for shipping and installation and damn laws of giving you a ticket and might suspend your car for a while just because of a flowmaster on a stock LS1 or LT1 .... or even a 2" or 3" cowl hood if it didn`t have it from the start the the 60`s and 70`s camaro :/ ) I`m in Kuwait

here is the thoughts if I`m there with some money:

cheapest fast sbc : at less than 1500 $ intake to pan LS1 a carbed LS1 with forged pistons a cam and springs and spray 250-300

cheapest fast bbc : 496 parts the ones that have a steel crank forged rods and upgrade to a forged piston might be 1200-1300 $ used ported bbc heads or new canfield 320cc and spray the same amount (or keep it 454 pistons heads cam spray) junkyard 454 ofcourse.

cheapest of all .... someones else pride and joy for too much less than they paid for .... some are ready to run for 4500 - 6000 $ with forged and good heads and the whole list ....

my choice if not our police force rules and not that much of carb tuners not the most cheap but what I consider daily killer and hard to beat... would be a 496 cheap kit like above canfield 320 Hyd Roller and a vortec or procharger intercooled (cheap intercooler custom from somewhere) carb setup 10-14 psi more money same set up with the cheap bbc EFI setups for good idle and better cruising.

man I`m typing and dreaming

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheapest way to go fast!!!!!