Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

vortec heads questions

Old 08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vortec heads questions

i'm running a set of 062 heads, with a stock 95 lt1 roller cam. .450/.460 lift.
i know of the problems with springs and lift restrictions. i'm ready to go much bigger with a cam, probably atleast .510-.540 in size. i'm looking for the cheapest and/or easiest way to do it. i was planning on using beehives(which they say increases clearance to .525), then just getting the machine work on the valve guides for the seal to retainer clearance to get me the rest i will need. this will be using 1.5 roller rockers, and i want to keep 1.6's as a future option if desired.

so what i want to know is if there are any new tricks/parts that i may not know of.

and can some of you vortec head users post you cams and spring combos and what was needed to run them if anything
Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5.7fox
i'm running a set of 062 heads, with a stock 95 lt1 roller cam. .450/.460 lift.
i know of the problems with springs and lift restrictions. i'm ready to go much bigger with a cam, probably atleast .510-.540 in size. i'm looking for the cheapest and/or easiest way to do it. i was planning on using beehives(which they say increases clearance to .525), then just getting the machine work on the valve guides for the seal to retainer clearance to get me the rest i will need. this will be using 1.5 roller rockers, and i want to keep 1.6's as a future option if desired.

so what i want to know is if there are any new tricks/parts that i may not know of.

and can some of you vortec head users post you cams and spring combos and what was needed to run them if anything

Crane and Comp Cams both make springs that can take .535+ lift that drop right into the Vortec head. I see more people running the Comp Cams version. If you go the double beehive, with proper machine work you'll be fine. The springs is the big downfall, but also running anything much larger than .550 lift on the Vortecs isn't really worth it. They are great on the low-mid range and flow well on top end, but lift wise fall off after the .550 (in my experience)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vortec heads questions