Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Problem with mallory ign Box,

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with mallory ign Box,

I just installed a Mallory HyFire 6a box and i wired it exactly like it said to i have a brand new mallory dist. and wires, it will start and idle but every now and than its like i just tuend the key off and back on real quick and some times it will just die i can watch the led light when it does this and it just goes out completely like i just turend it off i have checked all my connections over and over again i soldered everything, it almost like i have a loose connection but i have checked it all over many times, im not sure what it could be, when its not doing this it works perfectly no problems, need some help
Ryan
Old 02-18-2007, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Any one ever run into this problem??
Old 02-19-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a situation with one, is yours the one that has the RPM/rev limiter dial on the side? I had one installed on a friends car, it is a 1986 monte carlo ss, car would act as if it had a rev limiter set at one specific point, it would not respond to any changes on the dial and it wouldn't run right... it took us a lot of guessing and time to find out that the damn box was faulty... it was removed and replaced with stock HEI ignition, car has been running like a champ since then... I was warned before ordering the box. There was plenty of people who had issues with them, I personally have gone with MSD 6A in my 1975 camaro, and a MSD 6AL in my 1994 Trans Am. I apologize for not being of much help, but I do think those boxes from mallory have some sort of a defect built in them.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, i will be giving them a call tomarrow whenn they open up and see what they have to say, i switched mine back to just the hei dist, not and it runs fine now so i think there is something wrong with the box, hopfully i can get anotherone and not have anymore problems, i knew i should have went with a msd
Old 02-19-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know that feeling, at least you found out its in the box. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: Problem with mallory ign Box,