Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

hellllllllp!!! new carb and dist install wont run.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hellllllllp!!! new carb and dist install wont run.

i just converted my old computer controlled quadrajet to a non computer quad and hei distributor. Im doing this so i can build a 383 and get all my parts together before i pull the motor and tranny. I marked the distributor rotor and pulled the old distributor out put the new one in. I swapped the carbs and hooked everything up. I have done several distributor installs but maybe i screwed up? I put the vacuum advance can in "the spot" (45 degrees, ~in between #4 & 6 cyldinder etc). The car starts up then immediately races to about 4 grand then dies. I can retard the timing some but then it starts backfiring through the carb. I can keep the car running if i feather the throttle but something is wrong. Maybe im a tooth off?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

pulled the valvecover, timing is dead nuts on. Could it be the fuel pump doing this? Its a mechanical unit.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, update. I can start the car and it will fire right up everytime. I can take it to redline and it will sound great, no missing or anything, but as soon as i take my foot off the gas, its like it dies instantly. I can hold it at any rpm and it will run, but as soon as i take my foot off, boom. It will start right back up but will die if your not on the gas. Its like its loosing fire or gas at a low rpm. Could the fuel pump have a bad diaphragm? Like if the engine is revving its got enough to keep the bowl fuel but at idle it looses pressure? I still dont understand why it would start right back up though even though it will die instantly.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it were the fuel pump, then that problem would manifest itself more at higher rpms where the engine would be using more fuel. however all of this is in neutral with no load on the engine so it's not really using any gas, it's not the pump especially if it always starts right up.

get a vacuum gauge and monitor intake manifold vacuum; it sounds like it's soley a carb problem where your idle adjustment is way out of wack. When you said you start it and it races to 4 grand, that's probably a vacuum leak somewhere, or you don't have a vacuum port on the new qjet connected or plugged. Are you sure the new qjet you are using is good, is it brand new or old and used?
it's not a timing problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

appreciate the reply, but i found the problem. I had a ginormous vacuum leak. I dont know how in the hell i missed it, but i did. I fixed it and it runs like a top. well, all that can be expected from a 305.

Quick Reply: hellllllllp!!! new carb and dist install wont run.