Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Smoking but doesn't look like head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking but doesn't look like head gasket?

Okay, here's the deal:

I finished rewiring everything in my 1987 Pontiac Firebird. Also fixed up the doors and other random stuff ... thought I was ready to go racing. Then the problem struck.

Problem:

When the car starts, it doesn't smoke, but as it continues idling, it starts blowing smoke really bad (just gets worse and worse). It doesn't look like blue smoke at all ... more whitish. I was thinking head gasket, so I pulled the plugs, no coolant flowing, just kinda wet/damp. Replaced the spark plugs (they've been in there an awful long time anyway), still smoking (haven't checked them since changing). Next thing I checked was the coolant (keep in mind, it's idled for half an hour, blowing smoke like a smoker's convention) and it's still same level I left it at. No change. Pulled the radiator cap, and no signs of bubbling, so now that head gasket diagnosis looks weaker. Oil is clean, no water/bubbling, no signs of coolant mixing with oil (or the other way around ... coolant is nice and clean), plus it's right on level where it should be. Considering how much it's smoking, and the fact that there's liquid fluids coming out the exhaust, I'd expect it to be rather obvious given the quantity of fluid. I have no real way of measuring fuel consumption - is that a possibility that it's running so rich; and why all the smoke? It really spews/sprays the liquid out when I give it a little throttle, and seems to evaporate readily (leaves a good, solid stream of whatever fluid, but if I shut down the engine, after 10-15 seconds, it's gone). Carb'd engine. Oh, one more thing. To start it, I have to pump the gas pedal, and it's a bitch and a half to get her to idle out ... if I just lift off the throttle, it floods the engine.

I plan to race the car, but given the fact that a) it's smoking, and b) it's leaving a fluid trail, I'm pretty sure nobody would be at all grateful to me. So, the plan is to fix this problem, get it to stop leaving fluid (and preferably stop smoking too... give turd genners a good name) and then take her out to the track and show some ricers how it's done!

Thanks!

- JR / "Mulletbird" owner
Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Launching!

You don't mention what carb...but I would be checking the float level to make sure they aren't set so high that the fuel is just pouring into the engine. Also, if the carb is old or sat for a while, the gaskets could be dried out and when it heats up a little, it leaks internally.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pancherj
You don't mention what carb...but I would be checking the float level to make sure they aren't set so high that the fuel is just pouring into the engine. Also, if the carb is old or sat for a while, the gaskets could be dried out and when it heats up a little, it leaks internally.
That is true, it's sat for about 6-7 months. And it has never been tuned/adjusted for this setup. Think I should have somebody get it to run a decent mixture (I have no clue how to work with carbs ... just that it does eliminate that computer ).
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Okay, after 3hrs of idling, I got it. Just some condensation. *sigh of relief*

I was sooo worried about my car, though. The last thing any car guy wants to see is billowing clouds of smoke (somebody called in a two-alarm fire over the smoke!) But, after 3hrs, and not one drop of fluid missing, the car just stopped smoking, the idle dropped down to a normal 750rpm's, and she ran great!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Glad to hear that was it!

Quick Reply: Smoking but doesn't look like head gasket?