Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

86 Iroc TPI in 82 chevy fullsize van

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 86 Iroc TPI in 82 chevy fullsize van

hello everyone, i hope this is the right section for TPI questions as i see some in here.

my dad installed a 86 iroc engine in a 82 chevy fullsize van around the late 80s and drove it up until a few years ago.

it was the original 305 TPI, after damn near 200k on the engine it finally spun a bearing, and the old man ordered up a 361 S&S crate engine that the TPI top end and exhaust manifolds would bolt onto.

now originally the pig had 18lb injectors i believe, and someone had told him that you could just swap in a set of 24lbers and you would be set for a 350. as that was the only difference in the two... now i don't know if i believe that or not, sounds a bit too good to be true but i know these were not the most complex fuel injected cars ever built.

now here we are, present day. when we fire it up, it keys over and idles nice, doesnt even seem to be rich or anything. it warms up fine. when you go to drive it it feels like it just has no power at all. the van has a set of line locks installed, and if you lock up the front brakes and put the gas pedal to the floor, it barely, and i mean barely turns over the rear tires.

what would be the first thing we should look at?
i did some basic things like checked the timing, and made sure there was fuel pressure. other than that i really don't know of any other way to check these antiquated OBD1 injected chebbys to make sure they are working right.

now could this all be related that this new engine just will not run correctly at all with the 305 computer.

any insight into this would be greatly appreciated, i just don't think i have the patience for a car i don't understand how to tune.

i was going to give it a bit more time before installing something like megasquirt on it so i can actually get somewhere with it.

thanks for you time!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (afpr). $100 from Summit. I like the holley brand but the BBK works fine as well.

Also consider a prom tune to take advantage of the bigger injectors.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

can you direct me to who does prom tuning...? or what would be a good fuel pressure to set it too.

or just try upping it till it hazes the tires off on the line lock hahahah...

i tried pcm for less and they were really really unintrested in doing a tune, they said i would be better off building a megasquirt since ive done it before...
Old 08-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

pressure works best on the street at 45 psi. Could go to 50.

You'll have to find a guy local to burn you a custom chip...not just drop in an aftermarket one (like Hypertech).

I have a guy north of Toronto who does mine. He charges $300 and keeps the car a week. It's money well spent. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

If gas was cheaper....I'd go faster.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

get the thing tuned man! Car is prob going way lean.

Quick Reply: 86 Iroc TPI in 82 chevy fullsize van