Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Need help with 99 Camaro trouble codes/lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with 99 Camaro trouble codes/lights

Was wondering if anyone could help me especially if there's anyone in the upstate SC area. Have a 99 Camaro 3.8 that i bought. Im having a couple issues that i have no idea how to diagnose. Ok for starters i have a SES light on but when i hook the car up to a scanner it wont connect. They always say "could not connect" or "error connecting" so whats the deal with that? Also i was told i may have a BCM going bad because my ABS inop light, brake light, and service vehicle light all stay on and the air bag light goes on and off. Anyone that could help or give me some insight into these issues especially how to fix them would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Dale
Old 10-23-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well first, check the cigarette lighter fuse... its on the same circuit as the ALDL.... then try to check the codes.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

ya, after that fuse is replaced, a scanner should be able to read it. Even if your cigarette lighter works, the fuse still needs to be replaced. 99% of the time thats the fix for that.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what they said .. cig fuse.. then it should read codes .. had the same problem getting hp tuners to connect ..just a fuse
Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

You guys are awesome...the fuse did the trick as far as letting me read the engine code and erase it. (misfire at some point and hasnt came back) But i still have the Service Vehicle (not SES) light on, ABS Inop, brake, and air bag light going on and off. Also ive noticed my tach is really sluggish and seems to stick at points and occasionally drops to zero for a sec. Any idea's on these issues? Thanks again
Old 10-30-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by camaro75racer
You guys are awesome...the fuse did the trick as far as letting me read the engine code and erase it. (misfire at some point and hasnt came back) But i still have the Service Vehicle (not SES) light on, ABS Inop, brake, and air bag light going on and off. Also ive noticed my tach is really sluggish and seems to stick at points and occasionally drops to zero for a sec. Any idea's on these issues? Thanks again

ya have you changed the rear gears or rear end? drastically change tire size or wheel size?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

No the car is completely stock. Also the fix for the obd 2 scan only works occasionally. Noticed a couple times when it tries to connect my fuel guage will drop to E then it gives me a connection error. Think im looking at some major electrical issues here but thats really not my strong point at working with.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

hmmm... could just be something as simple as a short at the port, those pins come loose sometimes, could be why the fuse blew.

other then that, does the car run badly? Trying to figure out the brake/abs lights... did you get the car with these lights already on?

Quick Reply: Need help with 99 Camaro trouble codes/lights