Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Anyone from the Memphis/Shelby area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone from the Memphis/Shelby area?

I currently live in philadelphia and am a police officer here but am looking to relocate and be a Memphis cop. You can live in Memphis or in Shelby county. I have been looking at houses in the area but want to know a little more from people who live in the area. I am used to city living, driving a minute or two to the nearest everything hah.

I know down south things are spread out more so i am looking for a place that is close to a mall, food, walgreens/target etc etc.

I am looking to spend no more than 200k and want at least 4 bedrooms, bathrooms doesnt matter how many, a decent yard and a must have is obviously a garage. Also when i decide to start a family i want the area to have some kids and good schooling system.

I have seen many houses that meet all this but again im not familiar with the area so anybody who could give me some input on where to look i would appreciate it.

I assume Shelby county is Arlington, Bartlett, Germantown, Memphis, Millington, Lakeland, and Colliervile (im sure you gusy knew this but just throwing it out there) Also i would prefer not to live in Memphis but if theres a good area i wouldnt mind it.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No good area in Memphis, I live in Bartlett, very nice place. 200K can get you a 2500 sq'
four bedroom house and garage with a nice size yard. Very good schools.
Most expensive in order: Collierville, Germantown, Arlington, Lakeland, Cordova, Bartlett.
Stay out of Memphis, school district sucks, no malls or shopping. I wouldn't even want to be a cop in Memphis, look for police work in Collierville, Germantown or Bartlett.
There is an F-body club here and Memphis Motorsports Track is opening back up.Good luck with your search.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Collierville is a good area as well.

Too bad they wont let you live in a suburb like Olive Branch so you could get completely out of Shelby County.

Since you are stuck wtih that, Id say Bartlett or Collierville.

If you ever pull over a white C5 vette or a black SS vert, go easy on me.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
No good area in Memphis, I live in Bartlett, very nice place. 200K can get you a 2500 sq'
four bedroom house and garage with a nice size yard. Very good schools.
Most expensive in order: Collierville, Germantown, Arlington, Lakeland, Cordova, Bartlett.
Stay out of Memphis, school district sucks, no malls or shopping. I wouldn't even want to be a cop in Memphis, look for police work in Collierville, Germantown or Bartlett.
There is an F-body club here and Memphis Motorsports Track is opening back up.Good luck with your search.
thanks for the info. yea i saw some nice houses in memphis while searching but did a street view and went around the area a little on google maps and it seems like 4 blocks in each direction is crap.

I have been looking in Germantown and collierville . I have seen A LOT of nice houses. Planning on coming down in Feb to check the area out. As far as malls, pizza shops, drug stores etc what is Germantown like for all that?

Also why yous ay you wouldnt be a cop in Memphis? just curious?

Originally Posted by J1D2warrior
Collierville is a good area as well.

Too bad they wont let you live in a suburb like Olive Branch so you could get completely out of Shelby County.

Since you are stuck wtih that, Id say Bartlett or Collierville.

If you ever pull over a white C5 vette or a black SS vert, go easy on me.

Yea most nice houses i liked were in germantown and collierville. And if i end up being a cop down there ill keep a double look out for a white c5 and have to either bang you with a lot of tickets or let you off the hook for a nice test drive
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Memphis is nothing but crime, low income, welfare familes.
Germantown has all the shopping/resturants you want.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Yea most nice houses i liked were in germantown and collierville. And if i end up being a cop down there ill keep a double look out for a white c5 and have to either bang you with a lot of tickets or let you off the hook for a nice test drive
ha...you are more than welcome to drive the car!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

How often do the fbodys meet at the track. I am from the Jackson area and there are not that many fbodys up here. There are plenty of stangs to go around and I feel out of place.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Y2K, I'm in Jackson. Get with me. I've been trying to get some F body guys together. Do some joint projects and just hang out. Also a nice little local parts swap would be great too. Gotta have connections!

ls1ssws6, As far as being a Memphis police officer: If you like to stay busy, you'll like it. Just work on your draw because Memphis is a dangerous city now a days. I've heard that Memphis Police and Shelby Sheriff are a couple great departments to work for. I always see the officers together and rarely doing much of anything individually. City has some shitty cars tho, bunch of Impalas. Drug task Force around here is plain awesome, btw. Good luck in your transfer and move!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

I live just south of Olive Branch. I like it. I have 4 acres, a lil over 2500 sq. ft., and it would have fit your budget.

I would probably suggest Lakeland or unincorporated Cordova for you. It's near pretty much everything, the schools are decent, and it's probably your best bet at getting the house you want for the $$$ you have budgeted.

-Will
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by J1D2warrior
ha...you are more than welcome to drive the car!!!!!!!!

haha sweet, my dad has a 78, 79, 80, and 81 vette ones a stingray cant think which one but i drove that a few times and love it. I have always wanted to drive a newer one but never had the opportunity.

Originally Posted by Swiat34
ls1ssws6, As far as being a Memphis police officer: If you like to stay busy, you'll like it. Just work on your draw because Memphis is a dangerous city now a days. I've heard that Memphis Police and Shelby Sheriff are a couple great departments to work for. I always see the officers together and rarely doing much of anything individually. City has some shitty cars tho, bunch of Impalas. Drug task Force around here is plain awesome, btw. Good luck in your transfer and move!
I would LOVe to eventually get into narcotics task force. I am coming from working in Philly so my draw is pretty quick already BUT i would have to get used to a new holster, nothing but practice haha. As far as the cars, we have crappy impalas and crown vics, but they got some ***** to them

Originally Posted by TARZAN
I live just south of Olive Branch. I like it. I have 4 acres, a lil over 2500 sq. ft., and it would have fit your budget.

I would probably suggest Lakeland or unincorporated Cordova for you. It's near pretty much everything, the schools are decent, and it's probably your best bet at getting the house you want for the $$$ you have budgeted.

-Will
yea ive been looking at cordova, i dont knwo if memphis cops are allowed to live in lakeland though. do you have pictures or anything, im interested to see what it looks like.

ps sorry it took so long to post back...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry no pics....but pics won't do any good. It is a wide range of areas, all depends on what you like.

-Will
Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TARZAN
Sorry no pics....but pics won't do any good. It is a wide range of areas, all depends on what you like.

-Will
i meant of your piece of prop.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
i meant of your piece of prop.
Ah, since I live in north MS (where Memphis officers can't), I thought you were asking about Shelby...

I took these pics after a recent snow we had.

Part of the front yard

Backyard/Deck

The Shop

Backyard behind shop

-Will