Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Moving to Memphis area, good places to live?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to Memphis area, good places to live?

Recent promotion from my job has me moving to Memphis, probably some time in late Feb. Early March. Having never been to the Memphis area, I took it as a good opportunity to start heading for the Gulf coast from Detroit =)

Anywho, where are some good areas to live? I only need to be in the "Memphis" Region for travel so as more info comes in from where the center of my region will be Ill update this as necessary, however I am looking right now as I will be in Memphis or the Suburbs.

Little about me, 23 college grad single and going to be renting. I really want a garage but theres no need for me to pay 1-1.5k for a nice house just for a garage. Seems there are alot of nice looking 2 bed room houses for 700-900 but Im just under the assumption there are likely in crappy areas when Im seeing the same type of houses for 1k-1.2k a month in others.

Suggestions? Good places to meet up with people and hangout? Areas to live?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want to be IN Memphis. Bartlett, Cordova, collierville or across the stateline in MS. Southaven and olive branch.

Check out the west Tennessee fbody association
Www.wtfba.org
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Mind if I ask who you work for?

Memphis area here. Get ready for much more affordable housing than Detroit. When I moved here 5 years ago I lived in a nice subdivision in Southaven (just across the line in Mississippi). It was 5 years old, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, car garage, etc.....I paid $950/month.

Also, get ready for shorter drives. I live 30 miles from work, and it usually take me about 40 minutes to get there every morning. If you've lived in Detroit, I'm assuming you know that isn't bad at all lol.

Your best bets at getting a good rental for your $$$ are unincorporated Cordova, Lakeland, Southaven, Olive Branch, or maybe Bartlett.

If you live in Shelby county TN, I believe you will have to worry about emissions. If you live in MS, that is a non-issue.

I live just south of Olive Branch now and quite like where I'm at.

-Will
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

I live in Oakland which is just east of memphis and is very nice too. But stay out of the memphis city limits. lol
Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Moved to 385/hacks cross. Be nice to meet up with some other members. Also looking for a good exhuast shop to fab up a y pipe too

Quick Reply: Moving to Memphis area, good places to live?