Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

DO NOT BUY FROM STREET AND PERFORMANCE!!! (Mena, AR)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO NOT BUY FROM STREET AND PERFORMANCE!!! (Mena, AR)

Hey guys, just thought I would share my experience here. The better part of the last 2 years i've been building a 56 Ford F100 with a LS motor in it...Dealing with S&P lately has been a fiasco.

So last year at SEMA, I spoke with Mark at Street and performance about building this harness. He was very knowledgeable at the show, and we discussed our options. So a few weeks later, around the first of December, I emailed Mark from my work email, which states in my signature what my job title is. So I email Mark, asking a few last questions and whatnot, and he emails back a response, then wants to know if we could trade services cause his CAD guy is no longer there. So at this point i'm thinking, I could save a few bucks, trade services, and still get a quality product. So I agree, he told me they need alot of drawings updated, and I could just work off the money I owe them that way. Good thing I saved all the emails of him stating this (I had to end up sending them to my credit card company, more on that later). I did about $250 worth of reverse engineering for him, and made him 3 drawings. When I spoke with him over the phone about the drawings, he was thrilled with them. And for those that know about reverse engineering, the rates are easily $100+ a hour. I gave him a very good deal, as I wanted to help them out. So Mark and I discussed our options, I told him exactly what I wanted, he said no problem. Mark had health issues, and he is no longer at the company. I ended up giving them a credit card anyways to start the harness, I wanted to have some collateral on my end. The harness build begin in mid December of 14'. I sent the ECM to them to be tuned around this time as well.

What I received from S&P is a Drive by CABLE Harness, NO WIRING FOR ALTERNATOR, & NO WIRING FOR FAN CONTROL, using corvette 02 Oxygen sensors, wrong MAF connector. So I had to buy a LS2 cable TB, and sensors for that ($350~) Thankfully they got the right LS2 injector connectors, crank & cam sensors, and MAP sensor. The other sensors, I had to replace and buy new. ($300~ on my end). I tried caling S&P upon receiving, but I was told Mark no longer worked there. At this point, I agreed to pay the balance of what was owed, and move on. I also received the ECM back at this time, and was told several times it had been tuned.

What was discussed, and what I paid for was a DRIVE BY WIRE harness. I told Mark I would like to get everything from them, including the TAC Module, Corvette Gas Pedal, and whatever else it takes to get this truck mobile. He understood, agreed and said NO problem. So I got charged on my credit card for $960 for a Drive by Wire Harness, for a Cable Driven Harness that shouldn't of been near that much. Upon inspection, I was very unhappy with the harness. I had to lengthen about 50% of the wires to get them to work, I only had 3 things labeled, a majority of the wires had no wire loom or tubing on them, so it looked extremely messy. I have alot of money in this build, and the last thing I want is a alot of wires looking like junk in my engine bay. So I cleaned up all of this, which I feel for that kind of money I shouldn't have too. I got charged $340 for bogus ECM tuning. If you add up all the new sensors, shipping fees back and forth to them, I have damn near $2,000 in a drive by cable harness. Ridiculous. I should of sent EVERYTHING BACK, and got a refund. At this point, I just wanted my truck to run.

Fast forward to Jan/Feb of 2015, I contact S&P, telling them the issues I have with my ECM. I was told that they had NO FILE of it being tuned, so I ship it back out, James (tuner) told me he would take care of it. 2 weeks goes by, I have to call them myself and get a update (mind you my truck is just sitting waiting on the ECM to test fire). I filled out the ECM request form, and wrote a note of exactly what I needed, even gave them my number to call me. Well I get the computer back almost a month later (early March), under the assumption its still tuned. At this time, its the beginning of March, the truck still isn't firing so I thought I had more issues. I end up sending the damn ECM back to S&P one last time, (3rd time's a charm, right? On my dime too, $60 shipping fee's on me at this time). They go through it one more time, he says that they tested it on their motor before it left and all is good. That's when I start getting on the forums and trying to figure out what I have going on. I go back to my mechanic, start telling him whats going on (which I should of done to begin with). So he comes out, plugs up to the OBD port with his HP tuners, and that's where we are today. I keep getting a P1518 Communication with Throttle Actuator Control (TAC Module, which I don't have). I'm pissed at this point.

The following day I call S&P, I spoke with James requesting a refund. He agrees to put it through. Later that afternoon, I got a call from Richard at S&P. Richard starts off the conversation with bantering, telling me i'm not getting refund for something i've been credited on before I can even tell him whats going on. (the work I did for them, which they did NOT credit me on the ECM tuning itself), then he proceeds to tell me they didn't need the drawings but i invoiced them anyways. (Which I have all the emails from Mark, saying that's what he needed). Then he starts name calling, at this point i'm in awe over his professionalism. I'm in shock how a business can run like this.

CLIFF NOTES:
Order a LS HARNESS FROM STREET AND PERFORMANCE
PAY FOR A LS DRIVE BY WIRE HARNESS
GET SHIPPED A LS DRIVE BY CABLE HARNESS
PAYED MORE MONEY FOR DIFFERENT SENSORS/TB OUT OF MY POCKET ($500+)
PAYED STREET AND PERFORMANCE TO TUNE MY ECM
SENT OUT 3 TIMES ($60 shipping fees to ME)
FINALLY FIGURED OUT THEY TUNED THE ECM TO DRIVE BY WIRE, INSTEAD OF DRIVE BY CABLE
REQUESTED A REFUND
REFUND ACCEPTED by James at S&P
THEN REJECTED by Richard at S&P

This is bad business. I am highly disappointed in the quality of their work. Upon receiving the harness, like i mentioned only 3 wires were labeled, short of loom and tubing, the wiring harness looked like hell. I had to cut and add more wires to the harness, which I feel if i'm paying $1,000 for a harness it better be plug and play. I was at my mechanics the other day, and looking at some PSI harness's. Much, much better quality. I can't believe I ended up with this harness in my truck, but it is what it is. At this point, I just want a refund back for the tuning services. So I contacted my credit card company, sent along all the invoices, emails, receipts, tracking history and they are getting me a refund now. If they would of built the harness correctly, and I would of not had to buy over $500 of new sensors, I could of had enough money to buy the HP tuners and tune the damn thing myself.

I would steer clear FROM STREET AND PERFORMANCE. Their harness's are mediocre/shoddy at best. There are ALOT more companys that can provide better work, and customer service for you.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Default I Did business with Street and Performance

Wow. I know we all get bent out of shape. Just asked anyone about me and they will tell you I can get bent out of shape pretty quickly. Here's the thing.

I met Mark one time in Knoxville Tn. I have been doing a build for 11 years on a 36 Chevy truck installing an LS-1 with 4l60e tranny. I purchased a harness from Fast wiring to discover they went out of business. That's when we discovered Mark. He has helped us with questions more than you can imagine over the years (Oh and guess what. Still having issues with the build and I think it is a harness issue cause trans will not shift electronically) So when we called for Mark we learned he had passed away. That might be some of the reason this guy is having issues. But I suspect some of it is the frustration over the swap. I can for sure understand that. As recent as last night I have almost 100,000 in my build and still having issues 1 week before a show I had planned on driving the truck to. In short these swaps are frustrating and tech help is far and few between. I just hate to see a good company ruined over one incident and from a guy that might not have known the whole story.

On another note. If anyone can help me get my 4l60E shifting I would be very grateful and willing to pay. Knoxville Tn. 865-388-7737
https://ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/gtfoslap.gif
Old 11-17-2016, 01:31 PM

Default lucky me

Hey how do I get in touch with these guys, the phone nor the website works. I did business with them about 8 or 10 years ago. I need some replacement parts.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jkahall
Hey how do I get in touch with these guys, the phone nor the website works. I did business with them about 8 or 10 years ago. I need some replacement parts.
They closed their doors a month or so ago
Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!! Sad to hear they closed their doors and owner Mark has passed. I've done business with them in the past when I had my big block. I had their BBC serpentine setup in my 72 Chevelle. Great product and I was pleased with the quality of their product. Also, thru the years I called Mark just to pick his brain on other issue when converting over to an LS and he gave me a lot of phone time without me even buying anything.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ken Gilreath
Wow. I know we all get bent out of shape. Just asked anyone about me and they will tell you I can get bent out of shape pretty quickly. Here's the thing.

I met Mark one time in Knoxville Tn. I have been doing a build for 11 years on a 36 Chevy truck installing an LS-1 with 4l60e tranny. I purchased a harness from Fast wiring to discover they went out of business. That's when we discovered Mark. He has helped us with questions more than you can imagine over the years (Oh and guess what. Still having issues with the build and I think it is a harness issue cause trans will not shift electronically) So when we called for Mark we learned he had passed away. That might be some of the reason this guy is having issues. But I suspect some of it is the frustration over the swap. I can for sure understand that. As recent as last night I have almost 100,000 in my build and still having issues 1 week before a show I had planned on driving the truck to. In short these swaps are frustrating and tech help is far and few between. I just hate to see a good company ruined over one incident and from a guy that might not have known the whole story.

On another note. If anyone can help me get my 4l60E shifting I would be very grateful and willing to pay. Knoxville Tn. 865-388-7737
https://ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/gtfoslap.gif

With all the time passed I am sure you have your trans working, what and who did you find to correct the problem?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

sorry you had a poor experience with them. Id met Mark a few times, my father in law had done business with them for YEARS and when it came time to do my swap I got one of there stand alone harnesses. Not at all the experience I had they even extended the main bulk of the harness 2 ft because I wanted to mount the ECM in the car. Two years ago they were at Louisville after Mark had passed and his wife was trying to keep everything going. Sad to hear they had shut their doors, but it happens.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Default S&P Air Filter

Sorry to revive this.

What are the chances someone will pick up and produce the air filter / MAF product that connects directly to the throttlebody?

Due to limited space between the throttlebody and radiator the S&P Air filter / MAF would be the perfect solution for my 55.1 w L96 LS swap.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-3-...pV27R-&vxp=mtr
Old 08-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Default GM FI wiring harnesses

I have dealt with Street and Performance in the past (less than $500) and found them to be courteous and knowledge. I have built a 68 Camaro with TPI and a 55 Chev with LS1. I bought both harnesses from Larry's Electric in Ruma Illinois. Larry Scherle, the proprietor, is very knowledgeable and very reasonable. He will always take the time to assist you with your installation. He makes the harness himself right there in his shop from scratch and customize them for your application. Larry can be reached at 1-618-282-2852 or larrysel@htc.net. I have never been disappointed with his service.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:42 AM

214chevelle,
Did you run a air conditioner compressor with your serpentine setup from Street and Performance?
Trying to get a compressor for my 502 with a Street and Performance setup.
Vintage air says they need to know what compressor was originally on it.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2021, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ETexasTwister
214chevelle,
Did you run a air conditioner compressor with your serpentine setup from Street and Performance?
Trying to get a compressor for my 502 with a Street and Performance setup.
Vintage air says they need to know what compressor was originally on it.
Thanks

I was a Sanden 508 compressor with the rear connection for the a/c hoses.
The following users liked this post:
ETexasTwister (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply on a dead thread
Old 09-04-2021, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by 214Chevelle
I was a Sanden 508 compressor with the rear connection for the a/c hoses.
Thanks again, but were the rest of your pulleys 6 groove? All I'm finding in 508 are 7 groove.
That will make my a/c compressor 7 groove along with the crank and Power steering and alternator are 6 groove.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ETexasTwister
Thanks again, but were the rest of your pulleys 6 groove? All I'm finding in 508 are 7 groove.
That will make my a/c compressor 7 groove along with the crank and Power steering and alternator are 6 groove.

I don't remember what number of groove's the pulley system was. That was several years ago I bought the kit...it was like in 2004-2005. I bought the entire kit from Mark and the guys at Street & Performance. I hated to see the business go down when he passed.

Last edited by 214Chevelle; 09-13-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: DO NOT BUY FROM STREET AND PERFORMANCE!!! (Mena, AR)