Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Got pulled over for my TSP True Duals. Cop said it was illegal. What should I do?

Old 11-05-2004, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got pulled over for my TSP True Duals. Cop said it was illegal. What should I do?

Yesterday on my way to work I got pulled over. He asked me a few questions then told me my exhaust didn't have enough clearance and it didn't go back far enough. He said it needs to go pass the passenger compartment including the trunk. He didn't say anything about being to loud or anything. I was keeping it quiet cause I knew he was back there. I really love the way they sound and I don't want to take them off so what are my options? Maybe some pipes that go to the back or something. He didn't give me a ticket but he did say that if I ran into a cop that didn't like cars he could impound it. I asked him what if I see you again are you going to he said probably not. What do you guys think? This was in Gwinnett.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Impound it? He's FOS. Worst case you get a fix it ticket. I'd not even touch it, and keep on driving.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think a neighbor must have called in about me. I think they are getting mad at our loud cars and loud pocket bikes. I saw a show on TV once where they were impounding imports for being to low and minor stuff. Does a fix it ticket cost anything?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:55 AM
TECH Regular

Damm that sucks. My neighbor is Fulton county officer and i asked him if he'd pull me over for my loud exhaust, he said "only if you were getting on it". I've been real careful driving to work @ 5am but i know it's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to me. Still, taking the duals out the
back shouldn't be too hard. I agree with Chris, keep driving and if you get pulled over tell the officer your saving money to fix it.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR2877
I think a neighbor must have called in about me. I think they are getting mad at our loud cars and loud pocket bikes. I saw a show on TV once where they were impounding imports for being to low and minor stuff. Does a fix it ticket cost anything?
Not usually, though they can dock you $15 or $30 as well. Generally it states you have X days to fix this, and you have to have someone certified sign off that its fixed.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stark thats a nice exhaust setup you have. I have Kook's LT with TSP TD. I haven't updated my sig in a while. Yeah it's going to take some saving. I haven't had them done to long.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Not usually, though they can dock you $15 or $30 as well. Generally it states you have X days to fix this, and you have to have someone certified sign off that its fixed.
So they can't impound it?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

cops can do whatever the hell the want to man. Best not to **** them off. Cut the engine off and roll past them if you have to (no joke). i had to go to court over a $500/3pt ticket cause my car is loud and had an exhaust. the other cars that were in front/behind me weren't pulled over. damn buckhead apd gotta watch out for them.

apd cited my wife for invalid tag (no sticker) a few weeks ago. talk about a lame way to get $118 (yeah 118$). hell the new custom wildlife plates dont even have county tags anymore.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

if your worried, just get an exhaust shop to them fabricate you the pipes the rest of the way out the back
Old 11-05-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like your exhaust stops under the car somewhere? And doesn't come all the way out the back? If thats the case, thats dangerous. You don't want exhaust fumes inside your car, escpecially with the winter coming, you probably won't have your windows down much. Carbon Monoxide can kill you, or make you fall asleep at the wheel and kill someone else. Honestly, I think its pretty rediculous that he gave you a hard time about it, but I'm just trying to show you what the officer was probably thinking. I say just get some pipes to go all the way out the back anyway. Its safer and you'll be better off. I'm pretty sure if there is something wrong with your car that makes it dangerous, it can be towed. Good luck with it, and I wouldn't take a chance.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blown FRC
It sounds like your exhaust stops under the car somewhere? And doesn't come all the way out the back? If thats the case, thats dangerous. You don't want exhaust fumes inside your car, escpecially with the winter coming, you probably won't have your windows down much. Carbon Monoxide can kill you, or make you fall asleep at the wheel and kill someone else. Honestly, I think its pretty rediculous that he gave you a hard time about it, but I'm just trying to show you what the officer was probably thinking. I say just get some pipes to go all the way out the back anyway. Its safer and you'll be better off. I'm pretty sure if there is something wrong with your car that makes it dangerous, it can be towed. Good luck with it, and I wouldn't take a chance.
Yeah he did mention that about fumes getting inside the car. Even when I sit in a drive through the exhaust dosen't really bother me. I'll probably just drive it around for a while till I get some $$$ saved up and get the True Duals system that goes over the axle. I wonder if it will sound the same. I was also thinking about having some cutouts installed after the mufflers then pipes ran out the back. This will probably cost me a little but I am finally happy with the sound of my car and I don't want to change it.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

legally it just has to go past the rear axle. been there...done that.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
legally it just has to go past the rear axle. been there...done that.
That's good news. Is there any where I can find this documented? Also how much clearance do you have to have from the ground. One more question. If I get some pipes that pass the rear axle is it going to change the sound alot? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

ZR2877- Thanks for the compliment, you've got a nice set up as well! Got any pics? Do you rub on speed bumps now? I can't imagine the sound changing THAT much going over the axle, but i could be wrong.
BLKWS6- Did you have to pay a fine, or just get it fixed?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

not sure where to find it....but legally the rear axle is considered to be the end of the "passenger compartment". Or so Dekalb County officers say. I didnt have to do anything since my tips actaully go past the axle about 2".
Old 11-06-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Its not going to change the sound that much at all.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=BLKWS6]legally it just has to go past the rear axle. been there...done that. [/QUOT
How do the Roush Mustangs get away with the side exhaust from the factory? I think I'll just get some tips like BLKWS6 said and get it just past the axle for the time being.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

side exaust is legal, but it has to end outside the passenger compartment. ZR2877 has his exhaust ending up under the car.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
side exaust is legal, but it has to end outside the passenger compartment. ZR2877 has his exhaust ending up under the car.
As long as its passed the axles for "non-factory" equipt. it must pass the rear axle. on cars thats where they consider the "end" of the passenger arear. Trucks get away with it since its under the bed.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

That will make it much cheaper if I just have to pass the axle. Thanks for the good news.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got pulled over for my TSP True Duals. Cop said it was illegal. What should I do?