Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

I need advice (SC residents)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I need advice (SC residents)

Well Im back from an internetless month in Oregon visiting my dad. The Dallas cops there are notorious for stopping people who have obeyed every traffic law if they see them come out of a bar. I was pulled over one block from my Dad's house(I pulled out of the driveway with the cop just behind me. I come to a complete stop at the stop sign and signal my turn-right after doing so...he flashes the lights. He stopped me for-get this- driving in the middle of the road. Why was I in the middle of the road? Perhaps it was because of the row of cars parked along the street preventing me from being on my side ********, not to mention I was all the way back on my side by the time I stopped at the stop sign. He of course thinks Im drunk and once Ive convinced him Im not he runs my license. He comes back and informs me my license are suspended. This is news to me. Big damn news. Especially since I was never sent a notice of suspension, a deadline to pay the ticket, and have been stopped not once, but TWICE and been ticketed(so I know my license was ran) since the ticket my license were supposedly suspended for not paying. Anyways it ends with a 240$ ticket. Turns out the ticket in question is one I got in another county September of last year and that I sent the bail in on. My question is, am I screwed if the Greenville magistrate says they never recieved the payment? Whats to stop them from doing this to anyone who sends money in? Keep in mind I never recieved a suspension notice and have been stopped twice months after. (The ticket I supposedly never payed was issued in September...I was stopped in April of this year for not wearing a seatbelt and the cop never mentioned it and I sure as hell doubt it would take them 6 months to suspend them.

Sorry for the long read...just wondering if maybe someone has been in a similar situation. All told, if they want to screw me, I would have to repay the original 75$ ticket, pay a 100$ reinstatement fee, and the 240$ out of state ticket to keep them from just getting suspended again.

That was the original post I made on another forum-since then Ive gotten worse news. It seems that theyre going to automaticlly try to put me on SR22 insurance as well...all for their mistake. Has anyone been in a somewhat similar situation before? Would a lawyer even do any good? Thanks for any help. (By the way, sorry if this is the wrong forum..the Lounge disappeared while I was internetless.)
Old 08-22-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a bank statement saying that the check was cashed? That could be a huge step in fighting this thing. If you have no proof that you paid it....you are screwed. There are lots of people that will say they paid a ticket. If you can give proof.....I don't see why you couldn't get this stuff straightened out.