Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

OK residents, a question about fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default OK residents, a question about fog lights

hey guys, my brother is travelling to AR for a week-long job, and is going through OK to get there. he just called me and said that he got pulled over for driving with his fog lights on when there is no weather that needs them.

is this a valid OK state law, or just a bullshit excuse to pull someone over who's from out-of-state?

they're in the process of searching him right now, because they say his truck smelled like marijuana, even though he doesn't have any, he just smokes cigarettes....and they're likely gonna make him late for his first day on the job because of it, so naturally, he's a bit pissed.

i told him to get the cop's name & badge # so we can follow up on this if needed.

preferably if someone has a link to some OK state law clarifying, that would be helpful.....it doesn't really help to have people say that they've been pulled over for it, because they could have just been pulled over for BS, too.

and btw, i just downloaded and searched the OK driver's manual, and it says nothing about fog lights at all....the only thing it mentions about fog at all is that you cannot turn on your hi-beams, you must use your low-beams

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 09-23-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there really is a law against using fog lights in a non-foggy environment. however as far as a search goes, that does sound like harassment. i am from OK and have been my entire life and for the most part the cops are pretty laid back, but there is always an ******* two in any police unit.

karl
Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing more research, i came across this article (Section D2) that specifically states:

Front fog lamps shall be mounted on the same level on opposite sides of the front of the vehicle at or below the level of the headlamps. Front fog lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps. Front fog lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps, when headlamps are required.
now, as it states at the top of the page, that statute doesn't go into effect until 11/01/2008, but that doesn't mean that the entire thing is being changed, they may just be changing a small part of it.

if that is one of the parts that is being changed, however, let this be a warning to OK residents that they only need to worry about this for just a little over another month, then they can feel free to run foglights at any time with no worries....i'd just print that out and keep it with you after that date, just in case you still get harassed about it.

i know here in TX, i have my fog lights on all the time, day or night, good weather or bad (and have for over 4 years), and have never had anyone even look at me funny because of it.

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 09-23-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's usually just a method for cops to harass you.

Yes they can write a ticket for it in the first place.

Quick Reply: OK residents, a question about fog lights