LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Special Edition Vehicles (https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles-30/)
-   -   1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS SLP (https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles/1171988-1997-30th-anniversary-camaro-ss-slp.html)

zigfree524 09-01-2009 02:26 PM

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS SLP

HI please bear with me as I am writing this for my hubby ( has he still does not no how to use a computer.) and I am dyslexic so my writing will be hard to understand sometimes so be kind and if you do not understand what i said please email me and i will try to explain it better.

so here is the question. Andy my old man is looking to buy a car the guy Say's its an 1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS SLP, Now it looks like it but we are no professionals so we could really us some help before we pay 8,000 for a 4,000 car. he said he took the emblems off to re paint it and he says he has the pieces and it will go with the car. the car is black with blue in the side's ( he said he added the blue. but all the ones i see and all the info i have seen on line says they were white with orange? the inside of the door was black also. ( we have not looked in the trunk yet. and i seen online that if it doesn't have Z4C on the tag, it isn't a 30th Anniversary Edition.) and I found this information online also ( 30th Anniversary Camaro SS vehicles were modified by SLP to include a 330 hp (246 kW) version of the LT4 engine (108 total LT4 cars were made, 100 US, 6 Canadian & 2 prototypes). SS cars and SLP will all have RPO code R7T)

if anyone can help me out in anyway please email me asap as he really wants this car if it a true 1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS SLP . ( but he may still want it if its just an SS also but he just wants to find out what it is for sure as there is a big price differences)
I found this online which is also black http://americandreamcars.com/1997camarossslp060108.htm

Xsta Z 28 09-01-2009 02:43 PM

1997 was the 30th Anniversary for the Camaro, so many enthusiats call ALL 1997 Camaros 30th Anniversary cars.

GM even felt like promoting it since all 1997 Camaros come with embroidered 30th logos on the seats and floor mats.

Now the 1997 30th Anniversary Camaros with the Anniversary package are white with orange stripes, in either Z28 or SS packages. All 30th Anniversary package cars have white with houndstooth seats or all white seats.

The Z28 and the SS came standard with the LT1 V8 engine. There were 100 LT4 equipt SS. (I have one)

A TRUE 30th Anniversary SS should have the Z4C, and WU9 RPO codes on the drivers side door. If those codes are missing it is just a 1997 Camaro.

The ONLY two tone (paint) Camaro ever built was the 1993 Pace Car (black and white)

Even IF the car was a true 30th Anniversary SS, it's special package has been defaced by painting the car black with blue sides . . .

Right now I would say you are looking at a 1997 Camaro Z28 or possibly a SS. If RPO codes WU8, R7T or R7A show up then it is most likely an SS, but if the car has been painted that decal most likely was removed.

69camaross 09-01-2009 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28 (Post 12159668)
1997 was the 30th Anniversary for the Camaro, so many enthusiats call ALL 1997 Camaros 30th Anniversary cars.

GM even felt like promoting it since all 1997 Camaros come with embroidered 30th logos on the seats and floor mats.

Now the 1997 30th Anniversary Camaros with the Anniversary package are white with orange stripes, in either Z28 or SS packages. All 30th Anniversary package cars have white with houndstooth seats or all white seats.

The Z28 and the SS came standard with the LT1 V8 engine. There were 100 LT4 equipt SS. (I have one)

A TRUE 30th Anniversary SS should have the Z4C, and WU9 RPO codes on the drivers side door. If those codes are missing it is just a 1997 Camaro.

The ONLY two tone (paint) Camaro ever built was the 1993 Pace Car (black and white)

Even IF the car was a true 30th Anniversary SS, it's special package has been defaced by painting the car black with blue sides . . .

Right now I would say you are looking at a 1997 Camaro Z28 or possibly a SS. If RPO codes WU8, R7T or R7A show up then it is most likely an SS, but if the car has been painted that decal most likely was removed.

I agree, this car in questions screams CLONE. I'd pass. With black door jambs I highly doubt some any sane person would take a real Z4C WU9 30th SS and paint it black with two tone blue. Unless, he also put a ricer wing on the back, some cragar S/S 15 in wheels, a CB antenna, and naked lady mud flaps on it. Then I could see how his "taste" over ruled his notion of collectibility.

The RPO codes will tell you everything you need to know. If you want a real 30th Anniv car then take the RPO code info as provided and start quizing every seller you find. If it isn't white then it's not a 30th anniv car woul dbe your first easy clue.

Side note: LT4 powered 30th SS' were specially built by SLP outside of the regular SS program. These cars must have a pile of documentation to prove they are real because the VIN will still indicate them as an LT1. I can't remember the specifics but I doubt you'll find one for sale that isn't $20,000+ so I'm sure this takes it out of your budget anyways.

zigfree524 09-01-2009 08:13 PM

more info i found out

found this online it is the same car except the one i am looking at has blue on it's side's http://americandreamcars.com/1997camarossslp060108.htm
Today we went back down and the guy said it was from Canada which it says on the door it also shows the R7T code , and z28 ( there were other codes but did not right them all down.) it has the SLP , SS sticker emblems.
its says on paper work that it is a LT4 engine. it has SLP under hood and on drives door jam. the guy say it was rarer than the white and orange. he has a hand full of papers stating it is ( but of course any one can make up paper work. I am going back tomorrow and will try and right down all the codes and call SLP and see if they can help me. thanks for your info it has helped out allot. if anyone has any more info or suggestions please feel free to email me.

02_Phase2_ZL1 09-01-2009 08:41 PM

I would have to chime in with everyone else. I too own a true 30th Anniversary SS LT1 convertible. Andy, Xsta Z 28 is the true expert on the LT4 cars. I would like to think that I know something about the LT1 cars. I seriously doubt that this car is a true 30th Anniversary car. Ask the guy that owns this car now for the 30th Anniversary build number. It will be on the SLP window sticker that came with the car.

Good luck with your search but if you truly want a 30th Anniversary car, this one, even if it once was a 30th Anniversary car, is tainted now.

Wouldn't you agee with me Andy?

69camaross 09-01-2009 08:56 PM

If it has R7T, that is the RPO code for the 97 regular LT1 powered non-30th anniv package SS.

The regular SS came in black, white, silver, red, and polo green.

You can get 50k mile 6spd bone stock 97 SS' for around $8500 these days. This two tone mess is barely worth 1/2 that.

Seriously I'd pass. Don't waste even one more minute with this tainted SS. Craigslist, autotrader, and eBay are full of clean LT1 powered 96-97 SS. This guy is lieing out of his ass trying to pawn this car off 1st of all as a Z4C, secondly as an LT4 SS. Who knows what else he's lieing about.

The $20,000 mile LT4 car I mentioned has 80,000 miles on it. LT4s with lower miles still hover in the low $30,000s the last time I checked.

zigfree524 09-01-2009 09:07 PM

Yes no matter what it is. It is tainted now
I called slp it did go there but it should have the LT1 like you have said thank you for all your help.

Xsta Z 28 09-02-2009 02:44 PM

I would agree with everyone's comments above. Thanks for the props JD. (hope all is well!)

But to me with the R7T it sounds like a true 1997 Camaro SS. Customized. No way it came from SLP with a true LT4. Only the White w/Orange ever came with the LT4.

Glad we could have been of assistance. :)

y2k_ta 09-02-2009 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by zigfree524 (Post 12161326)
Today we went back down and the guy said it was from Canada which it says on the door

All 93-02 Camaros/Firebirds & 2010 Camaros are assembled in Canada. That is why the decal on the door of the car in question says GM of Canada.

TempleofZoom 09-03-2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1 (Post 12161505)
Andy, Xsta Z 28 is the true expert on the LT4 cars.

Really? Good to know

30thSSDreamcar 07-02-2011 06:21 PM

Thanks so much guys. I have been trying to figure some of this crap for ever!

JRWMS 01-06-2012 10:56 PM

I have a 1997 Hendricks Camaro anniversary edition silver and black I met a guy at the muffler shop when I was getting work on my 53 vette it looked good sounded awesome. The guy told me it was number 55 of 62 cars made it has all the paper work stating Hendricks and the badges etc. so I believe it is the real thing. The original paper work says it belonged to a guy named Dion Saunders not sure that is correct spelling and don't feel like digging it out right now. My real question is there seems to be some question as to how many 97's were done by Hendricks in this silver edition. Does anybody have any Idea what one of these in average condition is worth or any condition for that matter. I really had no idea what I was buying, still don't know much about them. It drives and handles incredible and even gets real good fuel mileage when I keep my lead foot out of it.

Xsta Z 28 01-07-2012 09:17 AM

From the info I have found there are 61 Silver and Black Hendrick SS's

jmann57 07-12-2012 08:56 PM

I recently Bought a 1997 cammaro ss slp. It is a show car it has 35000 miles and is very clean. I am new to this i bought the car from a friend who ownes a chevy dealership. I was talking to a salesmen who informed me that the car is rare so i am trying to find out as mutch information as posible as to why it may be rare. from what information i can find here is that i have a chevy camaro ss with rpo code wu8 R7T not RT7 And R7A on the door tag also has SLP Mod Stickers on door, I have the slp Modification Plaqer with ss Number 0582 on it. If you please i will describe the car. It is Sebring Silver with black and orange stripes with a bow tie on it only on one fender drivers side,Ttop, "17 tires
Slp emblems along with SS emblems, GM Preformance div emblem on rear hatch window. 30 Aniversery emblem stamped in front seats black leather interior, 6 speed Auto, LT1 Engine with metal emblem on hood scoop, Slp Stickers and slp stamp with SLP 0582 on the fender well. I Guess My Question to you if you can let me know is how many SS LT1 s were sent to slp to be modified i would like to know what i am talking about when i show this car Thanks.

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag 07-13-2012 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by jmann57 (Post 16512191)
I recently Bought a 1997 cammaro ss slp. It is a show car it has 35000 miles and is very clean. I am new to this i bought the car from a friend who ownes a chevy dealership. I was talking to a salesmen who informed me that the car is rare so i am trying to find out as mutch information as posible as to why it may be rare. from what information i can find here is that i have a chevy camaro ss with rpo code wu8 R7T not RT7 And R7A on the door tag also has SLP Mod Stickers on door, I have the slp Modification Plaqer with ss Number 0582 on it. If you please i will describe the car. It is Sebring Silver with black and orange stripes with a bow tie on it only on one fender drivers side,Ttop, "17 tires
Slp emblems along with SS emblems, GM Preformance div emblem on rear hatch window. 30 Aniversery emblem stamped in front seats black leather interior, 6 speed Auto, LT1 Engine with metal emblem on hood scoop, Slp Stickers and slp stamp with SLP 0582 on the fender well. I Guess My Question to you if you can let me know is how many SS LT1 s were sent to slp to be modified i would like to know what i am talking about when i show this car Thanks.

If the car has an AUTO trans, it has only 4 speeds. If it is a MANUAL trans, it has 6 speeds. No such thing as a 6-speed auto, at least not in '97 on f-bodies.

YES, all ~2474 '97 SS coupes and ~476 '97 SS 'verts had RPO R7T (~1930 of the coupes and ~255 of the 'verts also had WU8). YES, as was mentioned above, ALL '97 Camaros (including SSs) had 30th anniversary emblems on the seats. YES, ALL '97 SS cars went to SLP for modification (not sure if they all got SLP option decals). About the only thing that makes your 1 of ~317 Silver '97 SS coupe special or "rare" is the custom paint job, custom black leather interior (black leather was not available in '97) and some decals / emblems probably added by a previous owner or a tuner-prepped car.

:pics:

jmann57 07-13-2012 08:53 PM

1997 Camaro ss

Thanks for you insight.
It did not realy matter to me if some one else thought it my be rare but to me it is a great car the kind of camaro i allways dreamed obout when i was a younger. Thanks.