Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

did ss's all come with an slp lid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome picture. I am surprised to see the Castrol Oil bottle at the bottom left I always thought that SLP or GM teamed with Mobil One for these cars.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have all the correct RPO codes for my SS ,but I don't have a sticker on the passenger side door
Old 06-09-2017, 01:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
Awesome picture. I am surprised to see the Castrol Oil bottle at the bottom left I always thought that SLP or GM teamed with Mobil One for these cars.
Mobil 1 was the factory fill for C5 Corvette (in fact, I seem to recall it became the standard factory fill for Corvette starting in 1992), but Castrol was used for the optional synthetic package offered on SS. Here's the decal issued to a 2000 SS that was ordered with this option:

Name:  2000%20Camaro%20SS%20Synthetic%20Option%20Package%201_zpsjwqy8wmc.jpg
Views: 7386
Size:  33.7 KB

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
I have all the correct RPO codes for my SS ,but I don't have a sticker on the passenger side door
Sounds like you have a base alteration only car then. The supplemental passenger side sticker would list any additional SLP options, if so equipped.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

That blows me away because I never heard anyone ever mention that before. Cool info man thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

That blows me away because I never heard anyone ever mention that before. Cool info man thanks for sharing.
Always glad to share knowledge.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Mobil 1 was the factory fill for C5 Corvette (in fact, I seem to recall it became the standard factory fill for Corvette starting in 1992), but Castrol was used for the optional synthetic package offered on SS. Here's the decal issued to a 2000 SS that was ordered with this option:

Sounds like you have a base alteration only car then. The supplemental passenger side sticker would list any additional SLP options, if so equipped.
I guess that means it never went to SLP? Doesn't matter to me I bought the car for the color/Ttops, Its a super cool car to me and my wife RRRRR
Old 06-11-2017, 04:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I guess that means it never went to SLP?
Nope, they all went to SLP. SLP did the base alterations as well. But there were a number of optional items that could be ordered, though not all SSs were ordered with any or all of these. If yours wasn't ordered with additional content above and beyond the base SS package, then you wouldn't have received the supplemental sticker since there would be nothing to print on it.

In the earlier years, SS cars that received additional (optional) content could also be identified by the "Y2Y" RPO on the SPID sticker (in addition to the "WU8" code that indicated base SS content.) At some point, the "Y2Y" RPO began to be used on all SS models, even if they weren't ordered with any additional content. I don't recall which year this started, but the reasoning had something to do with it being easier for the buyer to add additional SLP content later in the build process should they so choose....or at least that's the explanation I've heard several times over the years.

Doesn't matter to me I bought the car for the color/Ttops, Its a super cool car to me and my wife RRRRR
Not many folks specifically looking for Pewter, you're one of the few I've ever heard say that. I had two of them in Pewter myself, I regretted it both times as the color just never grew on me. But color preference is totally subjective.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Lots of good info in this thread, learned a few things for sure.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Nope, they all went to SLP. SLP did the base alterations as well. But there were a number of optional items that could be ordered, though not all SSs were ordered with any or all of these. If yours wasn't ordered with additional content above and beyond the base SS package, then you wouldn't have received the supplemental sticker since there would be nothing to print on it.

In the earlier years, SS cars that received additional (optional) content could also be identified by the "Y2Y" RPO on the SPID sticker (in addition to the "WU8" code that indicated base SS content.) At some point, the "Y2Y" RPO began to be used on all SS models, even if they weren't ordered with any additional content. I don't recall which year this started, but the reasoning had something to do with it being easier for the buyer to add additional SLP content later in the build process should they so choose....or at least that's the explanation I've heard several times over the years.

Not many folks specifically looking for Pewter, you're one of the few I've ever heard say that. I had two of them in Pewter myself, I regretted it both times as the color just never grew on me. But color preference is totally subjective.
Any idea how to get replacement door stickers?
Old 06-12-2017, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

You mean the SPID or the supplemental SLP sticker?

The SPID cannot (or perhaps just will not) be reprinted by GM, but there are a couple places that reproduce these for body shops doing collision repair. ESC Auto is one such place, but some of these companies will only sell to body shops due to fraud concerns. I've tried to get reprints from GM before, but several dealers have told me this is impossible (one time it was due to an assembly line mistake, I bought a brand new vehicle with the wrong SPID, VIN didn't match, but they still couldn't do anything but give me a paper printout of the correct RPOs for my VIN.)

As for the SLP sticker, I honestly have no idea if you could get a new one from SLP. My guess would be no, but I've never tried this myself nor known anyone else who has either.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

a little birdie told me recently that SLP in canada will get you stickers. unconfirmed

Quick Reply: did ss's all come with an slp lid?