Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

1997 Trans Am WS6- 7k miles & OEM LT4 car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1997 Trans Am WS6- 7k miles & OEM LT4 car!

I have a 97 ws6, 6 speed, white, with dark leather interior, has every option except t tops, has 7,000 original miles. Car has an ORIGINAL LT4 engine in it. I thought that GM only put them in a select few 97 Firehawks & 30th anniversary SS cars. Well this is a true WS6 car and it too has it.
I have the original window sticker as well, showing it to have the LT4. I have to say this is the only Trans Am that I have heard to come with an LT4. There may be a few more out there but it's the first I have ever seen. What is a car like this worth? I mean it has to be one of the most rare of all 4th gens, and has 7k miles, literally looks new. This will have to go pretty high

Last edited by badfbodyz; 01-09-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-09-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets see the RPO sticker in the door
everything I have says that motor only went into Firehawks on the Pontiac side
Old 01-09-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

I will next time I'm around the car. But how else do you explain an LT4 being in a 7,000 mile completely bone stock car. NOBODY would've swapped that motor into it. Even the window sticker notes LT4. There were always cars that were special ordered from GM that weren't shown on records a lot of times. Plus SLP wouldn't have anything to do with this car anyways, it is a WS6 instead of a Firehawk. WS6 was a Pontiac function

Last edited by badfbodyz; 01-09-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-11-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by badfbodyz
I will next time I'm around the car. But how else do you explain an LT4 being in a 7,000 mile completely bone stock car. NOBODY would've swapped that motor into it. Even the window sticker notes LT4. There were always cars that were special ordered from GM that weren't shown on records a lot of times. Plus SLP wouldn't have anything to do with this car anyways, it is a WS6 instead of a Firehawk. WS6 was a Pontiac function
Actually WS6 was done by SLP
Trans Am history
Old 01-12-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

I would sure like to see a copy of that window sticker.

I've done some research on WS6s and 4th-gen f-bods in general and as far as I know, no '97 WS6 ever received RPO LT4. Although, to be fair, even the "real" LT4-equipped Hawks and SSs had RPO LT1 listed on their decals and in GM's VIS database instead of LT4. Given the fact that SLP was performing the SS, Firehawk and WS6 "conversions" in '97, and they were the ones who installed the LT4 engines in those cars that received them (which may explain why the RPO code list for those cars showed LT1 instead of LT4), it may be possible that they slipped an LT4 into a WS6 or two. OR, it may be possible that the original selling dealership did it in their shop and reflected this fact in the window sticker. Keep in mind that at that time, you could purchase an "LT4 Conversion" kit from GM that would convert any LT1 into an LT4 (I think this kit included heads cam and intake and whatever else made an LT4 different from an LT1). I would not be surprised if more than one performance-oriented dealership would install this on a new car for any buyer that wanted it.

Have you been able to validate the window sticker by positively confirming that the engine is an LT4? I'm not sure how this is done, but I believe the heads were unique to LT4, so there's probably a unique casting #.

You might also consider running the VIN# for this car past SLP to see if it is in their records. FYI, all 29 Firehawks that received an LT4 engine assembly by SLP were Formula HT coupes w/ M6. SLP reported that there was one prototype built in addition to these 29, maybe its possible that it was this T/A??

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 01-12-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, it sparked my interest as well that this car is a hardtop WS6, and all the Firehawks that received an LY4 were also hardtop. It could be an LT4 top end conversion, but with that window sticker, it has me wondering. Also, if it were a top end package that a dealership installed when the car was brand new, and included the sticker, that would have to make the car more valuable I would think. It is a rare car no doubt
Old 01-15-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Indeed, the breakdown shows only 178 '97 WS6 M6 HTs being built.

Probably only a small fraction of those ever had an LT4 "top end kit" installed, and probably only a handful of those were installed by the dealer on a brand new car and reflected in the window sticker.

Then you have to ask yourself, how many of THOSE have only 7,000 miles on them today? LT4 kit or not, you've got a sweet ride on your hands. Have any pics?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

What ever happened to this? Any pics of this LT4 T/A and the RPO sticker yet?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I would sure like to see a copy of that window sticker.

I've done some research on WS6s and 4th-gen f-bods in general and as far as I know, no '97 WS6 ever received RPO LT4. Although, to be fair, even the "real" LT4-equipped Hawks and SSs had RPO LT1 listed on their decals and in GM's VIS database instead of LT4. Given the fact that SLP was performing the SS, Firehawk and WS6 "conversions" in '97, and they were the ones who installed the LT4 engines in those cars that received them (which may explain why the RPO code list for those cars showed LT1 instead of LT4), it may be possible that they slipped an LT4 into a WS6 or two. OR, it may be possible that the original selling dealership did it in their shop and reflected this fact in the window sticker. Keep in mind that at that time, you could purchase an "LT4 Conversion" kit from GM that would convert any LT1 into an LT4 (I think this kit included heads cam and intake and whatever else made an LT4 different from an LT1). I would not be surprised if more than one performance-oriented dealership would install this on a new car for any buyer that wanted it.

Have you been able to validate the window sticker by positively confirming that the engine is an LT4? I'm not sure how this is done, but I believe the heads were unique to LT4, so there's probably a unique casting #.

You might also consider running the VIN# for this car past SLP to see if it is in their records. FYI, all 29 Firehawks that received an LT4 engine assembly by SLP were Formula HT coupes w/ M6. SLP reported that there was one prototype built in addition to these 29, maybe its possible that it was this T/A??
Everything here is correct and I agree.

SLP did the LT4 conversion, not GM, so even a true original LT4 car will have a "P" in the 8th position of the VIN as well as "LT1" on the SPID sticker as this is the way that GM built them.

Sounds like this particular WS6 was either an SLP anomaly (as SLP did do the WS6 cars in those years, not GM and not ASC) or more likely a dealership special.

Would be interesting to see the documentation on this.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

OP, any update on this?

Very interesting car you have there, I would love to see pics of the car/documentation.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:13 AM
TECH Regular

UPDATE: The car is a fully documented 7k mile WS6. Here's the other news... It left the factory with the LT1 motor. Although, before it left the dealership before the first owner had it, an LT4 conversion kit was installed on it brand new from dealer.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 AM
TECH Regular

Car still looks, feels & smells like new.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Launching!

dam thats a nice car
Old 06-15-2015, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Very nice car, don't find them like this very often.

Originally Posted by badfbodyz
UPDATE: The car is a fully documented 7k mile WS6. Here's the other news... It left the factory with the LT1 motor. Although, before it left the dealership before the first owner had it, an LT4 conversion kit was installed on it brand new from dealer.
Pretty much as we suspected. Did the car come w/ documentation on the LT4 conversion installation by the selling dealership? That would be the icing on the cake for a collector. I would expect that the original owner, keeping mileage this low for so long, would've kept everything possible to increase it's value to a collector.

Have the OE tires been replaced yet? I had to replace mine recently due to dry-rot. If this car is still wearing the OE rubber, be very careful driving it.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Car does have documentation to the Top end Conversion.
Yes the tires have been replaced, but it has Nitto 555's. Honestly if sold, I'll put the Original tires on it.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

How bout some engine, RPO pics....?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Unfortunately, what you have here is essentially a dealership special not an OEM LT4 car. You stated that the car had the LT4 top-end conversion done at the dealership before the first owner took it home, that doesn't make it an LT4 motor. What the dealer did was take the LT1 motor and install LT4 top-end components (heads, cam, rockers, intake manifold etc) so at the end of the day it is still an LT1. A true LT4 motor has a multitude of differences in the bottom end of the motor alone.

Regardless, you have a very beautiful machine that anyone would be proud to own. Still very cool that it had the LT4 top-end done at the dealer way back when.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
A true LT4 motor has a multitude of differences in the bottom end of the motor alone.
Indeed it does.......

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ml#post3367408

BLOCK - Should be the same LT1 casting with the four bolt mains.

CRANK - The LT4 has a special nodular iron crank with undercut and rolled fillets for added strength.

RODS - Powdered metal rods are used with a "cracked cap" instead of a machined parting line.

CAM - The LT4 cam was similar to the ones used in the high performance LT1, but it has had considerably more lift at the valve because it had 1.6 to 1 rockers.

HEADS - The heads had smaller 54cc chambers that gave the LT4 a 10.8 to 1 compression ratio. The intake ports were raised 0.100", too. The LT4 used larger intake and exhaust valves (2.00" x 1.55" ). The intake stems were hollow to reduce weight and the exhaust stem was sodium-filled to improve heat transfer. The valve springs were made of oval wire to prevent coil bind with the higher valve lift and fitted with lightweight retainers to help the engine rev to its 6,300 rpm redline.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

With no doubt at all,, you have a gem,, and still worth a pretty penny! I think its an awesome car. Its kinda like a car dealer,, if you take them a highly modified great running looking machine,, its worth nothing. But if they are selling it, its pristine and worth a fortune, unhesitantly pointing out its options and upgrades! Hang on to it,, or make'em pay for it! Im leaning towards the hanging on to it!!
Old 09-04-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

This is a beautiful car

Quick Reply: 1997 Trans Am WS6- 7k miles & OEM LT4 car!