Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Level I or II Bilstein cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Level I or II Bilstein cars

Since we have a 1le thread, why not have a Bilstein section. Who has them, and what are your likes/dislikes about the set-up.

Yes, I have the Level I Bilstein/eibach package from SLP, as part of the Firehawk option package.

Excellent handling suspension system, but very soft spring rate. Softer than I am accustomed to, and does present problems if too much weight is introduced into the car. (Say a BIG stereo)
Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

I LOVE my SLP option alot and never thought I would wear out tires from the outside in but I guess when you never slow down to turn you wear the tires out that way. Now The only thing I think I would like to change would be the height. The car is lowered from that Bilstien option but I think I would like to go about a 1/2 and inch or so lower now that it is only a weekend car.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cannot believe we have (6) responses on 1LE's and only (1) for Bilstein........

We can make a better showing than this, as I thought more bilstein options were purchased over the 1LE suspension packages.

TTT
Old 02-26-2005, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

I have the Bilstein Level II and I love it. My old 2000 SS Camaro had whatever the basic suspension was for that model and I thought it handled great. But now that I have this, there is no comparison. This rides so much smoother, but it is super tight in the turns. Barely any body roll and feels like it is on rails. I had lowered the SS 1.5 inches and it improved the handling somewhat, but like I said, no where near as tight as the Bilstein. The only thing I lack now is SFC's. I might throw in a strut tower brace to complete the package, but if I never touched the suspension again, I have no complaints.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

The STB really keeps the front stiff. You can tell the difference when you corner and it is not on there. Did 2 turns in the same spot and 1 had it and 1 did not. I need to get my Sub Frames next.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '00 SS has level 2 Bilsteins and as previously mentioned above, it feels like it's on rails. I have Goodyear F1 G3 DS tires and boy are they great
With all the rain here lately in SO Cal I can hit standing water at 80+ without drama. The car fells very connected to the road as oppposed to my friends '02 SS with standard production suspension. The response in cornereing, accelerating and braking is immediate in my car as copmared to my friends.
I'd have so say that my only complaint is the the steering ratio is a bit too quick. Any pressure on the steering wheel at speed moves the car over a lane or more. It can be a problem when you look over at the cute girl in the next car and nearly side swipe the truck in the other lane.............

Richard
Old 03-01-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with Richard. I have bilsteins, Eibachs and Goodyear F1 GS D3's on my WS6. (But I live in Seattle where it rains 364 days a year.) This combo makes the car corner like it was on rails. I have the BMR STB and SFC also. My only complaint with the suspension is that it bottoms out quickly if hitting a bump too fast. It launches out of the corners and off of a stop light like a rocket.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Mine has the bilstein option also, but how can you tell if it's level 1 or 2?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP described it as having heavier front/rear swaybars, if I remember correctly, along w/poly bushings. It has been so long since I reviewed that info, that I have kinda forgotten the differences. Nothing major, as the primary components are still the same. (eibach springs, calibrated Bilstein shocks)

Now you got me wanting to go back and check. Not sure if the Level II was an SLP option at time of ordering. It is, however, an upgrade in the SLP Parts and Performance catalogue.

Seems like most everyone has the same opinion of this package. I too bottom out under significant wholes/bumps, but cornering and weight transfer for accleration are great IMO.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Love the bilstein. My SS feels a world of difference from my brother's ws6.
I thought american cars can't handle
Old 03-03-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

When I ordered my car I picked the level 2 suspension option for my car. I did not see any other options except for the 1LE option for suspension.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

The bilstien is the level 2 for the firehawks/SS. For 00 to 02 Cars there is no difference or such a thing as level 1 or 2, it is simply the Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension System. For 96 to 00, it was the Bilstien Level 2 Suspension. There was no such monster as a Bilstien Level 1 Suspension. Hope that clears it up.

Quick Reply: Level I or II Bilstein cars