Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Don't Lose Your T-top (see Here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Lose Your T-top (see Here)

Good Morning all!
I am posting here as information only. Please, no flames as I am just trying to help someone out that may potentially have an issue down the line.

On Sunday (past), I am lucky enough to be a new member of the "Oh Crap, my T-top Just blew off!" club. I haven't been a happy camper since. I was lucky enough to to find someone local (Thank you SFFBA) that had 2 for sale.

Now, let me lay the facts out before you start reading on. My T-top was latched, no question. It was locked also, so I know 100% that it was latched at the time. I had the windows down and was cruising at about 75 when I started hearing a bad wind noise (just like someone was passing me), then split second later, off went my Drivers side T-top. Talk about . Yesterday I pickup a new (to me) t-top and installed it without an issue, but took it one step further.

I looked at the adjusting pin on the rear of the opening. You have to remove a small trim piece to be able to see it. It appeared that only a 1/8 of an inch was making contact and the slide bracket was ALL the way back. This was not good! Check the passanger side and it wasn't as bad, but still could use some adjusting. What seems to happen is when you go to install you t-top and TRY to latch it, if it isn't PERFECT, it will slightly push that bracket back it you put too much pressure on it. I was able to bring the drivers side bracket snug by adjusting it a 1/4 inch or more. Much better fit. The passagerside was adjust another 1/8 inch for more contact and I am feeling much better.

BTW, locking your T-tops will not garrantee they stay on, it WILL, though, garrantee that your locking pins will stay in place and after looking at how the mechanism works, I would recommend to ANYONE to keep the tops locked at all times. Ounce of protection.

WORD TO THE WISE: PLEASE CHECK YOU T-TOPS. It will take ten minutes of work, but will same you 100+ bucks in the future!

Good Luck,
Jonathan Hays
Old 04-28-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome info!
Will be checking this out on my car!
Old 04-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Banned

Great tip. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Launching!

I had the passenger side top fly off of my 83 T/A, scared the hell out of my friend but it was his fault for not latching it. I now check when I get in the car to see if it's latched if someone else puts them in. I got lucky and the top landed in soft dirt and didn't break. Landed cornere first too and all I had to do was wipe the dirt off and throw it back on the car. Good advice, I think I'll chsck mine so I don't have to be a 2x member of the club.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

So how do you do the adjusting? What tools did you use?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

good looking out, im going to have to check now!
Old 05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Mine flew off doing a hundo on the highway in my old Firebird. Now I know what it feels like to be a can of sardines being opened.

I'll take a look at what you mentioned. :thumbsup:
Old 05-30-2005, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

lol, it is one of the scariest things when it flies off, especially on the highway. mine flew off on the highway, looked in my rearview mirror, and it was gone, i was speeding a little about 85. i didn't even bother to go back and look for it i knew it was shattered, i just had insurance pay for it because i too, made completely sure it was locked.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

I had a set fly off on a blown 97 WS6... they both flew off at once. 500rwhp with no subframe connectors, doing 80 and nailed the gas. It was just like opening the "paratrooper doors" on a C141... it got loud and windy.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

This thread should be posted in the genral forum. This is good info and I think everyone would find this useful not just the special edition guys.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Banned

I've been in this club for a while now. Although mine didn't break, they just nosedived into a field about 2 feet from the road. It was a pretty crazy feeling though, and then realizing you have several hundred bucks worth of glass flying in the air is pretty scary itself.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:14 AM

Great info, Thanks.

Quick Reply: Don't Lose Your T-top (see Here)