Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Berger cars - mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Berger cars - mileage

Hey guys, I just sold my GN and I'm selling my 01 SS, to purchase a Berger SS car. My question is do you Berger owners, JD, Steve, Doug...ect recommend keeping the miles below 10,000 or 15,000. I know the value will drop as miles increase. I plan on keeping it as an investment, will drive weekends only to local car shows and local super chevy shows in Palm Beach, do not want a trailer queen. How many miles do you guys have on your Berger camaros?
Also, do I need to get the car appraised in order to get it insured for the value of the car?
One more question, are the 2002 berger SS cars worth significantly more than the 2001's? Not the ZL1 supercars
Thanks in advance for the info...
Old 01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Default Berger Cars

Good question, I am from the camp that all the GMMG cars are great investments, now and down the road, having said that, out of the 550 sum cars that Matt produced I really like the hard top models, vs the t tops, they seem to bring more money, however many people like the t tops so it really comes down to personal choice. The same principal seems to hold true with the Buick Grand National's, everyone wanted the hard tops. My other suggestion is to buy the very best, low milage car you can afford, under 5000miles would be a good number for me. After driving these torque monsters it's hard to keep them under wraps, they are addicting and fast.

I believe the year is not as important as to what model GMMG car you choose, Right now the Dick Harrell and the ZL-1's appear to be holding their value the most of the GMMG cars. I enjoy driving my Tom Henry just as much as the ZL-1, in fact the Tom Henry is the one I drive the most, probably going to be under 500 miles a year. You may want to look at the blue Berger on ebay, 7000 miles, 525 hp package one or two owner car, you should be able to purchase for under 38k now that is a terrific value as a first GMMG car, you will not be disappointed.....item # 260206002641
Old 01-27-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking at the car on e-bay it has been for sale for a while on Autotrader. I like the power upgrades but not the color combo-white interior, or the wheels. Probably wait for a 2002. The t-tops are not a problem for me since I like the extra head room with the T. What makes it a 525 hp car the cam upgrade w/ PhaseIIX?
What insurance do you recommend? Since the Vin will probably just come up as an SS camaro, worth 1/2 the replacement value of a Berger.
Thanks,
Old 01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GG01SS
Thanks for the reply, I have been looking at the car on e-bay it has been for sale for a while on Autotrader. I like the power upgrades but not the color combo-white interior, or the wheels. Probably wait for a 2002. The t-tops are not a problem for me since I like the extra head room with the T. What makes it a 525 hp car the cam upgrade w/ PhaseIIX?
What insurance do you recommend? Since the Vin will probably just come up as an SS camaro, worth 1/2 the replacement value of a Berger.
Thanks,

My ZL1 has less than 2,000 miles on it now. Probably won't put too many more on it than that. I enjoy it and have driven it some but I desire to keep the mile off of it. I enjoy taking it to shows but it is a trailer queen.

I, like most of the other folks that have these cars, have collector car insurance which is an agreed value insurance policy. The insurance company insures it for what I feel it is worth and if I have a total loss, they pay the total amount of the insurance that I have it covered for. The VIN number of the car you have makes no difference at all with the insurance company I am with because ALL 2002 ZL1 Supercars were built from Camaro B4C's so that is how my VIN number would come back.

In answering your question, yes the cam, heads, headers and computer/dyno tuning bump it up to 525 h.p.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 2002 year cars WILL be worth a little more, especially since that's the last year they were made..

However, depending on how rare the model and how rare the combination of options were, it still might be worth more than the next car..
Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are less 01 Berger SS than 02, but the 02 is the 35th Anniversary of the Camaro.

00's are the 75th Anniversary of Berger . . .

I love my Berger, and I'd drive it more, but now I feel the car is irreplaceable, so it gets very few miles.

The first three years I owned it I drove it to every car show I went. I have just under 7,000 miles on mine.

But I will admit every time I get behind the wheel it sure does put a **** eating grin on my face!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys, I can't wait to get one! I just need to take my time. Most of my buddies can't believe I'm selling my SS to get Berger car, since my 01 with just a few bolt-ons is so quick, I keep telling them its the driver. I will just get a beater car for daily use when I get the Berger. Have a work vehicle but not for daily use. Everyone keeps telling me to wait for the new Camaro, to be honest I'm not sure I like it and think the new Challenger looks better.
I will be purchasing a enclosed trailer for the Berger so I can Travel to out of state events, and try to keep the miles down. Recently bought my wife an 07 tahoe for towing, I guess she will be driving the beater while I'm gone.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GG01SS
Hey guys, I just sold my GN and I'm selling my 01 SS, to purchase a Berger SS car. My question is do you Berger owners, JD, Steve, Doug...ect recommend keeping the miles below 10,000 or 15,000. I know the value will drop as miles increase. I plan on keeping it as an investment, will drive weekends only to local car shows and local super chevy shows in Palm Beach, do not want a trailer queen. How many miles do you guys have on your Berger camaros?
Also, do I need to get the car appraised in order to get it insured for the value of the car?
One more question, are the 2002 berger SS cars worth significantly more than the 2001's? Not the ZL1 supercars
Thanks in advance for the info...

1) FYI, sometime ago Matt said to me " one thousand miles a year will have no negative effect on the value of your car ".

2) No, not significantly more. However, much more collectable as they were the last of the era.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

I would be affraid to drive any GMMG car, just because they are so rare. Hey ZL1 #14 do you have any pictures of the hugger Tom Henery car in you sig?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Default Pictures

Not really, however go to the GMMG web site and I believe there are some uner the Tom Henry category., That site would be www.gmmginc.net
Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

If you're not gonna drive em, why bother owning them? I'm glad my club members with Bergers aren't pansies about driving their cars. Many drive them rain or shine and on long club tours and to far away shows and Power Tour.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GETGONE
If you're not gonna drive em, why bother owning them? I'm glad my club members with Bergers aren't pansies about driving their cars. Many drive them rain or shine and on long club tours and to far away shows and Power Tour.
I can enjoy mine just fine without driving it and putting a bunch of miles on it.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1
I can enjoy mine just fine without driving it and putting a bunch of miles on it.
Very well said!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The key is to have a car you enjoy owning just as much as you enjoy driving.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GETGONE
with all do respect, but i think your retarded,

they own them because they love them, they can have just as much fun as wiping it down with a diaper on sunday as you would have driving yours and beating it down with all your mods, now with that said, i agree that a car is supposed to be driven, this is why i went and bought me a second ss, so i have one to drive and one to cover every night in the garage and drive to shows or what have you.

now i dont have a gmmg car, only in my wettest dreams, however i have a pretty high optioned slp car with i think is low miles and i plan on keeping it that way,
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
with all do respect, but i think your retarded,

they own them because they love them, they can have just as much fun as wiping it down with a diaper on sunday as you would have driving yours and beating it down with all your mods, now with that said, i agree that a car is supposed to be driven, this is why i went and bought me a second ss, so i have one to drive and one to cover every night in the garage and drive to shows or what have you.

now i dont have a gmmg car, only in my wettest dreams, however i have a pretty high optioned slp car with i think is low miles and i plan on keeping it that way,

You hit the nail on the head. If you notice in my pic below, I have two cars. I have the 30th anniversary SS to put the top down and drive and the ZL1 to pamper. As others have said before, when you own them, it is your business what you do with them and no one elses.

As you noted above in your post, I get alot of enjoyment just dusting the ZL1 off and knowing that it is mine. While it is alot of fun to drive, it is also alot of fun to pamper...........
Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1
You hit the nail on the head. If you notice in my pic below, I have two cars. I have the 30th anniversary SS to put the top down and drive and the ZL1 to pamper. As others have said before, when you own them, it is your business what you do with them and no one elses.

As you noted above in your post, I get alot of enjoyment just dusting the ZL1 off and knowing that it is mine. While it is alot of fun to drive, it is also alot of fun to pamper...........
exactly, for me to pull my car outta the garage wash it, wax it and put it back in, its really fun and relaxing, oh well, let bygons be bygons.

btw nice cars, can i see some pics of the zl1, quite possibly my favorite gmmg car
Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
exactly, for me to pull my car outta the garage wash it, wax it and put it back in, its really fun and relaxing, oh well, let bygons be bygons.

btw nice cars, can i see some pics of the zl1, quite possibly my favorite gmmg car

Sure..........................mine was even featured in the April 2004 issue of Chevy Rumble magazine...........

Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Hey J.D., sure you don't want to sell the ZL1? I think she'd look just as good next to my 30th Anniversary as she does yours!!!!

Besides, I need another Black GMMG car to sandwich the LT4!

BTW: Great pics of the ZL1 and congrats on the magazine spot. I think it's one of my favorites as well. I wish I was in a position back in '01 to order one.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone else feel that the collectibility of these Camaros will drop a bit once the new Camaro comes out? They would have been worth a lot more in the future had the Camaro never came back. I think in time we will see that the special edition Firebirds will hold their value better....unless the Firebird comes back too.

Quick Reply: Berger cars - mileage