Staff Vehicles Showcase Check out the rides that belong to the LS1TECH Staff.

LS1Tech's Project Ron Burgundy - 1995 Chevrolet S10 Track Rat Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of those I'd go with the Toyo Proxes R1R
Old 06-22-2016, 02:07 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been very interesting to watch from the standpoint of anticipating what you guys were going to choose for Project Ron Burgundy. You had five choices and you could have made us use any one of them. Instead, it became a blow out for BFGoodrich and its Rival tire but let’s look back at each candidate by order of votes from last to first.

Lakesea Tyre/Achilles Radial: Zero Votes
This one is and isn’t surprising. It’s a surprise that none of you guys voted for them however, one has to consider that tire sizing was what lead to their loss. Achilles Radial is a pretty great platform for how long it’s been around here in the US and it shows with wins and Championships in drifting, specifically Formula Drift. Lakesea is a newcomer, with very little fanfare to this point unless you’re familiar with the world of drifting outside of Formula Drift. The tire has proven itself well in that arena in New Zealand and Japan but doesn’t quite have a foothold here in the US just yet.

Nexen Tire/Toyo Tires: Three Votes each
Again, surprising but not at the same time. Nexen Tires have a great reputation in the service world with long lasting tire life and decent grip. Add this to a reemerging but very strong motorsports campaign in 2016 and I won’t be surprised if we do this again that they get a better shot a glory and fight it out with BFG. Toyo Tires has been the motorsports go-to tire for nearly a decade thanks to their support of the National Auto Sport Association and many off road racers like BJ Baldwin, Robby Gordon, and many others. However, I was expecting that this would be more of a dog fight between them and eventual winner, BFGoodrich.

BFGoodrich Tires: Thirteen Votes and Winner
It wouldn’t end up being that way and Americana won out with BFGoodrich Tires. The motorsports pedigree of BFGoodrich is one that is long and only rivaled by Goodyear here in the US. It’s nearly a household name with most anyone recognizing the name immediately. While they may be a part of Michelin, BFGoodrich still stands out as an all American brand by not only competing in Off-Road Racing, Sports Car Racing, and Drag Racing while keeping manufacturing in the USA but also creating tires for the Columbia Space Shuttle in 1977. It’s hard to beat out history and is the biggest reason why BFGoodrich is the winner. It also doesn’t hurt that the g-Force Rival builds upon the technology learned from the g-Force line of tires that came before it.

The Winner of the $100 Tire Rack Gift Card
Of the Thirteen of you great members who voted for BFGoodrich, we had to pick a winner. That’s hard to do because every member of the LS1Tech community deserves something from the knowledge you guys are willing to share and teach to every member here, including myself. So, we didn’t pick and instead let a random picker do it for us to make it the most fair as we could. So, without further ado, the winner is xtrkestrel! I’ve PM’d you for what you need to do next and congratulations on winning the $100 Tire Rack Gift Card.

Don’t worry, we’ve got more contests coming in relation to Project Ron Burgundy so while you may not have won this time more are coming!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Teching In

I vote the BFG's!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by LsLuke
I vote the BFG's!
While the contest ended last week, BFG did win the vote.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:27 AM
LS1Tech Editor

So, I'm slightly overdue for a Project Ron Burgundy Update, but I do want to share my latest article on the front page.

https://ls1tech.com/articles/head-games-ohv-vs-ohv/

Talks a little about the camshaft I'm using from Texas Speed and Performance and goes into some basics for beginners on OHC vs OHV.

Also, please subscribe to Carbage on YouTube! That way, you can keep up with Project Ron Burgundy video updates (that also get shared on LS1Tech) and some of my other video projects like "Sub-2". That's a series of videos that essentially condenses the typical interview with racers, builders, shop owners, and influencers to 2-minutes or less. You can subscribe by following the link here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUc...k5ee5jSnH8ylpg

Other than Project Ron Burgundy, this is another important project to me as I feel that there is a lack of good automotive education with entertainment on YouTube. I'm also running the website carbageonline.com and what's cool about that is that I'm using video, social media integration, and regular editorial to get information and content to the masses. I'm actually happy with how that's going so far but of course I want to make it better and do more with it.

Your support in this and Project Ron Burgundy is greatly appreciated, in more ways than you guys will probably realize on the face of it. Because, honestly, without you guys commenting, talking about them, or even participating in the contests we have here when we do them shows the reach we have for sponsors on not only the board but outside of it as well. It's probably a subject I'll touch on (sponsorships) pretty soon, too. I think that's a subject that seems like black magic or something more mysterious and out of reach than that and it needs eventual addressing.

Last edited by J Banner; 09-16-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:17 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Ok, finally got off my butt and made another video. This one details what makes this engine an LH6 over an L33 as 1FastBrick pointed out (and I thank him for again).

Old 09-17-2016, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Glad to see your back to your project. I was beginning to wonder if you were going to get back to it.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:04 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Glad to see your back to your project. I was beginning to wonder if you were going to get back to it.
Yeah, life and waiting on parts put a pause on it for a bit. However, yes, I'm back to it and have some more parts to install. Still looking for a 4L60E to use, too.

Also, on a production note, look for MUCH better lighting on the next video.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:09 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by J Banner
Still looking for a 4L60E to use, too.
Good news! Found a V8 4L60E to use! Got it for $100, so you know it's in like new condition! That's sarcasm, if you can't tell, but it does need a rebuild since it has over 200k and slips in first gear. It also came with a stock torque converter. Now, to find the right kit for road racing duties.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Wow, just realized it's been about three months since I last did an update. It's slow, but I do have the Texas Speed Industries camshaft installed as well as the Johnson Lifters and Chevy Performance Lifter Buckets from Cam Motion. I also tapped the oil towers for the NPT plugs, mostly just to ensure I don't have an oil leak after removing the AFM system. I'll have a video on all of that here soon. There will also be a discussion on the OE Wheels LLC C7 Corvette Stingray replicas and what I would need to make them work on the S10. Edit: Here is the link https://ls1tech.com/articles/project...-s10-rear-end/

Personally, I've been expanding my work as a freelance writer. If you haven't seen it, you'll start seeing my name in Driving Line, Speedhunters, and a few others on top of stuff here. I've also gotten my first client for video work with Narvaez Racing, who's best know for his 1000-horsepower time attack Nissan GT-R and "Hulk Evo" which unfortunately took a roll at Pikes Peak earlier this year. So, I've been pretty busy outside of Ron Burgundy and is why many of my updates have been slow. It's mostly a time issue but also just waiting to hear back on sponsors who we are approaching to come on board.

There has been progress on parts, though, as I do have the following:
LED headlights, new tail lights, seats, and steering wheel from Spec-D
MSD Coils, wires, and plugs
Holley water pump for LS Truck Engines
Engine and Transmission Oil coolers from Earl's
Radiator from Frostbite for LS Swapped S10s

Some things on the list that I still need include:
Transmission rebuild kit (specifically one that works best with high revs and holding gears)
Engine Tuner
Rear End (Pretty sure I'm going with an 8.8 unless someone wants to step up with something, article that's going live this week will give some reasoning on that)
Tires (Still haven't heard back from BF Goodrich, may have to start thinking of an alternative)
Brakes (I actually need to talk to Wilwood, they may be interested)

Some stuff I'd like to get but aren't necessary to the build are:
Fiberglass fenders and hood
some sort of aerodynamic bed cover
rear wing
front air dam
headlight covers

This is going slower than I had planned or liked, but it's chugging along regardless.

Last edited by J Banner; 12-13-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Hi Justin,
PM Sent regarding the 8.8.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by Camaros-n-Chevelles
Hi Justin,
PM Sent regarding the 8.8.
Got it and appreciate it!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Good news, everyone! I finally found time to fully edit and get the next video up for Project Ron Burgundy as promised.

This one is all action and no talk, but there is text in certain spots to explain what I'm doing where it was needed.

Also, I've created a play list of the Client Videos I have done with Narvaez Racing here:

http://tinyurl.com/Narvaez-Playlist
Old 12-31-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I would love to see the headlights you got for this!
Old 01-01-2017, 02:04 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I would love to see the headlights you got for this!
I'll take some pictures today, if I get a stopping point in my work schedule.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Great build and tons of great info
Old 03-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

cool build
Old 03-24-2017, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Editor

So, it's been forever and a day since my last post. So far I haven't been able to make much progress because, unfortunately, I've been looking for a new place to live since the place I am at is being sold. The good news is, after too long of a search, I have found a new residence. The bad news is that the place I am moving to won't have a garage. So, instead of taking too long, I wanted to reach out to you guys here on LS1Tech.

Anyone here have a good bearing on a location that I can rent in or around San Bernardino County, CA? I would need seven day access and be able to store and work on Project Ron Burgundy and my tools. I'm not sure how storage units feel about auto work in their units, but that is an option if I can. My budget is $500 or less per month.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:36 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Well, I'm happy. Got the engine mostly built up, made my move to Crestline, CA, got the truck sorted for storage until the end of this month, and we may have a transmission sponsor for the build. Also, I made another video for the engine. Take a look and enjoy!

In the meantime, we still need a proper home for Project Ron Burgundy. I'm open to working with anyone here in San Bernardino that's willing to let me have a proper place to work on and keep it. Never mind on Long Beach. That was a bust for now.

Last edited by J Banner; 04-20-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:47 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Great news coming down the pipe! We've found a partner for our transmission rebuild. We'll announce it soon but it's going to be amazing.

Quick Reply: LS1Tech's Project Ron Burgundy - 1995 Chevrolet S10 Track Rat Build