"Low Blow" 2000 GMC RCSB - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Staff Vehicles Showcase Check out the rides that belong to the LS1TECH Staff.

"Low Blow" 2000 GMC RCSB

Old 11-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default "Low Blow" 2000 GMC RCSB

Finally got the project truck started over the past few weekends. Must thank Ron Mowen and all the great folks at Vengeance Racing for helping me out with this project!

I found this one-owner 2000 RCSB GMC Sierra SLE last year in great shape. It has some minor wear and tear on the outside as you would expect from a truck. But the owner kept the truck parked under a carport, so the interior was really nice and the truck was optioned well for a regular cab.

This project will be in stages due to budget limitations. This is the initial stage which includes:
  • LS3 416cid Stroker (ERL) at 9.9:1 Compression
  • RPM 4L80E Stage 5 Transmission
  • All accompanying parts to complete the install

These are the parts or items I have addressed as of this posting:
  • LS3 416cid Stroker built by ERL
  • GMPP Ported LS3 Heads
  • BTR Valve Springs with tool steel retainers
  • Vengeance Racing Kaotik Camshaft (235/243 .621/.624 113 LSA)
  • GM LS3 Intake (purchased used)
  • FIC 1000cc LS3 style injectors
  • Holley LS3 Fuel Rail Kit
  • Aeromotive FPR and Fragola Lines and Fittings (truck was already return style)
  • Trick Flow 4-Port Steam Vent Kit
  • Nick Williams 92mm Throttle Body
  • RPM Transmission Stage 5 4L80E Trans
  • FTI 3200 Stall, 10-inch, Triple Disc Billet Lock-Up Converter (PMLX4)
  • Texas Speed Truck Long Tubes and Y-Pipe
  • Custom 4L80 Cross Member
  • TCI Flexplate
  • ATI Balancer
  • Numerous small parts to make everything work

Here are some photos to date. I am guessing I have another 8-10 hours of work to get it running and on the dyno at Vengeance.

Following stages will be:
  • 12-Bolt or 9-inch rear end
  • Ridetech Stage 2 Air Suspension or Coil Over Package (either with 4-link)
  • Mini-Tubbing in rear for large, meaty tires
  • 18x12 rear wheel/tire setup for street use and occasional strip use
  • Nice Procharger or possibly turbo system finally (with fuel upgrades)

Last edited by Reckless; 11-13-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Made lots of progress over the weekend. Getting close to firing it up and tuning. Just a couple things left (wiring related).

Had to relocate the MAP sensor to the rear of the intake. Simply used a pipe plug to fill the front hole. This was required due to the cable operated throttle body. As the cam pivots the cables would crash into the MAP sensor and wiring.

Daniel (one of our fabricators) helped me out with making a throttle cable bracket. I tried the universal one from Scoggin Dickey but again cable travel issues. We ended up using the stock truck bracket. Made a few cuts and added a little pedestal to give us some clearance. Bolts right into place using the two front intake bolts.

Also have to address the y-pipe again after mounting the shifter bracket to the 4L80. Fairly easily fixed with just a small bend added in.

Mounted the trans cooler up front and ran all the -6an lines incorporating the factory trans cooler as well.

Got the F-Body fans mounted up with an aluminum hold-down and wired using the Nelson wiring harness.

Just need to finish up coil mounting and make plug wires, then add fluids. Also want to clean up the harness. Can't have all that on top of the engine.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:27 AM
10 Second Club

Looks dope! What do you think it will make for power in it's current iteration?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas View Post
Looks dope! What do you think it will make for power in it's current iteration?
Looking for around 500rwhp with this config. Hard to say but we will see soon!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks! Progress has been slow with the holidays. Updates soon!
Old 01-07-2018, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
Thanks! Progress has been slow with the holidays. Updates soon!
Get it dynoed! I've been contemplating building a 416 LS3 stroker for my 2015 Chevy SS Sedan, and boosting it down the road, so I'm really interested to see your results.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Slow going on my end. Been driving the truck a lot with just a street tune. Mike has been slammed since the holidays and no time to get this thing on the dyno yet for WOT tuning.

Finally spent most of my weekend getting the wiring harness cleaned up and off the engine. Looks much better now. Deleted some wiring no longer needed. Rerouted much of the wiring. Wrapped everything with heat shrink and nice braided loom. Got rid of the cheesy GM plastic loom.

Hopefully dyno number soon!

Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

updates?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LSleeper1500 View Post
updates?
Not since last post 2 days ago LOL.....still waiting to get on the dyno.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

didnít even notice the dates! Lol my bad man. Badass build for sure though
Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 PM
Teching In

so shiny! i love it
Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Bump for a BA build
Old 02-20-2018, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys

Little update on my long term project. Decided to add a Tahoe console, a B&M Pro Stick with black magnum handle, oil pressure, and wide band gauges. Left a little room for additional switches or gauges later. These pics still show the column shifter attached, which was removed last night. Still hunting for a manual trans column cover.

Seeing how this shifter is going to fit. Wanted to mount it lower and have just the handle through the console, but this would not allow complete travel of the shifter front to rear as it would bang into the console.

Making small relief cuts

Decided I would need a reinforcement plate welded to the console floor bracket. Wasn't too worried about the carpet because it is all hidden

Made a solid base for the shifter to bolt to. Then used a piece of roll bar pipe to angle up the the shifter base plate.

Small hole saw provided a quick pass through for the shifter cable

Now it was time to sort out the top section

I tried 2 or 3 different versions and this is what I settled on. This enables easy removal and access to the gauges if I need. I will also add things to this section with time. I used some of that 6000 goop stuff and some clamps to hold it all together.

Some paint and initial assembly

Final assembly

Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Been daily driving Low Blow for a while. Trying to sell my Camaro and spend my time on the truck. Plan is to 4-Link it (with bags possibly). Got started with the home tubbing finally.

Getting off bed liner is no joke!Next up cutting and welding and grinding!

Old 06-20-2018, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Very cool project and super clean!

Have you considered running the truck fans instead of the f body fans? I've had over heating problems in the past from fan setups where the shroud didn't cover the majority of the radiator and those f body fans cover okay, but not near as well as a truck setup. If you use the larger radiator the truck fans bolt right into place with no fabrication or drilling of anything. I did them on my 04 and everything looked factory, also pinned the factory electric fan harness to my PCM and had a fan program downloaded into my PCM for full OE style setup and control. Just mentioning it in case you haven't done it or didn't know about it.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
Very cool project and super clean!

Have you considered running the truck fans instead of the f body fans? I've had over heating problems in the past from fan setups where the shroud didn't cover the majority of the radiator and those f body fans cover okay, but not near as well as a truck setup. If you use the larger radiator the truck fans bolt right into place with no fabrication or drilling of anything. I did them on my 04 and everything looked factory, also pinned the factory electric fan harness to my PCM and had a fan program downloaded into my PCM for full OE style setup and control. Just mentioning it in case you haven't done it or didn't know about it.
Thanks! I have seen other folks using that setup. I bought the Nelson fan harness, but it doesn't seem to actually control the fans. Basically have one fan running all the time and the other comes on (high speed) but only when the A/C is running. I wouldn't mind switching if I knew which parts to source for "plug and play"?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
Thanks! I have seen other folks using that setup. I bought the Nelson fan harness, but it doesn't seem to actually control the fans. Basically have one fan running all the time and the other comes on (high speed) but only when the A/C is running. I wouldn't mind switching if I knew which parts to source for "plug and play"?
What I did was grab a front end wiring harness from a truck that originally came with electric fans, I wanna say it was a 2010 if I remember correctly, but I'm worried that my memory is off because that was 6 years ago, so I would say get a front end harness from an 05-07 classic truck (they came with electric fans). Then separate the headlight and turn signal wiring out of the harness and you'll have two plugs left (that go to the fans) a ground wire that grounds to the chassis right under the fans/radiator (there's already a ground wire there). And you'll have a fuse and relay box with two wires coming out that go to the PCM, they are very small wires, one blue and one green IIRC. And a short hot wire to power the fan fuse/relay box that bolts to fuse box you already have and get's power from the OE location. The fuse and relay box clip right on to the side of your existing fuse box under the hood, there's a spot made for the relay/fuse box already on your box. Then you'll have two open trigger wires for the relays, those you can run to switches or you can do what I did and contact a good tuner that knows how to load an electric fan file into your computer and tells you which PCM connector locations to pin. You use PCM connector pins and you pin two blank spots, one in each connector and then the computer will control your entire fan setup.

I prefer the truck fan setup by far to the f body because it looks factory, it bolts in as factory, it will give you far more cooling, and it's much easier to work with if you have to replace something later since everything is essentially stock.

For your gen truck there are 2 radiators, IIRC a 31" and a 34" core, you'll need the larger one, which came in heavy duty trucks, and trucks with electric cooling fans. I got my radiator for about $130 at the parts store and I got a used fan setup from an 07 I believe it was. There are 4 bolt holes in your core support that are already threaded. The 2 inner ones are for the narrow radiator the outers are for the wider one, when you get the larger radiator it bolts to the outer holes and the electric fans bolt to the inner. The process couldn't be easier or better looking.

There's some info around about which pins in the PCM connectors to pin if you want to search a little, or ask your tuner if it's something he's familiar with.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 06-22-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

There's several vids on youtube about doing this and they all miss a step or two to make it all OEM.

Most are using an aftermarket relay setup and mounting the relays in various places, getting power and ground from various places and it looks sloppy.

If you use the factory wiring harness and relay pack, you clip it on to your existing fuse box and the fuse box cover covers it all and you don't see it, then fan fuse/relax box gets it's power from the existing fuse/relay box that's already there so no wiring to see. The factory harness grounds under the fans in a factory location so nothing seen there.

In this video they show a little of the pinning of the PCM but he's using an after market harness and there's wires everywhere

Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM
Teching In

Sweet ride.
Old Today, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jacobs1585 View Post
Sweet ride.
Thanks! Project is changing direction a bit pending the sale of my Camaro. This LS3 is not adequate for what I want to do. Planning an LSx 427 with MAST heads that will handle the boost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Low Blow" 2000 GMC RCSB

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: