Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

???? about the CDT door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ???? about the CDT door speakers

I just installed the CDT- cl-61cv's from Kee audio. My question is, why do they sound muted ? the sound of the stock rear speakers overcomes the fronts like they aren't even on. I don't know if this is a common problem or the way they should be. Is my only other option to amplify the fronts to get them to the sound level they were at? My goal in replacing them was to with better than stock replacements was to not have to amplify them.

any feedback would be appreciated

Paul
Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you wire them in right?
Old 10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I used the stock wiring/ amp and I used the supplied x-over for the tweeter.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Teching In

you need to amplify them. they will sound like crap just like you said if not.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

great. just what I didn't want to hear.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

I have the 62's but they play great on Monsoon power
Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I have the 62's but they play great on Monsoon power

Same here. Hooked to the Monsoon setup in my car, they sound great.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
great. just what I didn't want to hear.
that sucks man, were you told otherwise or did you not research before buying?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

Hi guys,
I've used the CL-61CV's several times on stock Monsoon power with no issues. They are a little quieter then stock because they are 4ohm. However, so are all the other CDT products that I use in these vehicles. The CL-61CV has a 91.3db sensitivity rating so output loss is less then with most 4ohm speakers which usually test at about 3.6-3.7ohms. They shouldn't be that much quieter. Side by side with the stock speaker still in the car you would notice it at low volume but after that, in the mid to upper volume levels the CL-61 should make up the difference with power handling where the stock one would start distorting the CDT will maintain it's sound quality. Plus, even at 4ohms the CDT's put out more midbass then a 2ohm Infinity by far.
I've installed these in many F-bodies on stock power and they do great. Otherwise I wouldn't have recommended them. For the most part I try to use equipment I have used personally and know what it sounds like.
They do sound good on aftermarket power as well, but they should be doing fine on stock Monsoon power also. Not sure why they wouldn't in this case. Might try pushing the fader a little toward the front and see if that helps balance things a little.

Overall this is what is annoying about GM and the Monsoon system. I can use the same speaker in 10 F-bodies and they sound great with a good improvement in sound quality and the 11th one doesn't sound the same as the other 10. I have ran into this with the Bazooka subs as well as far as depth. Most of the cars that these have gone in didn't need a spacer at all so I stopped selling them with spacers. Soon as I did this, I had customers need a 1/4" spacer because they were hitting the back wall.
Let me know what you want me to do to make it up to you Formula and I will do my best!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned

On a side note one thing I did just think of....the xovers have adjustable output for the highs. They are: -3db, 0, and +3db for the highs. CDT sets them at 0 from the factory. Try putting them at +3 and see if that improves anything. It should help some as I ran into this once before where the xover setting was actually on -3 and needed to be put on +3. On the -3 setting the highs were VERY quiet.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not upset with you at all. You sold me a great product. For all of the research I did, I just never read of a simular problem and was kinda bummed about the result.. Yes the fade control does even out the sound but I was trying to avoid doing that.

I had noticed the output switch for the hi's but unfortunately after I already had one side together. So I still need to pulll one door panel and flip the switch.

I guess the ultimate fix would be to add on an amp, I just didn't expect to spend the extra money in the first place.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not only does 4ohm hurt output a bit, but the passives eat a little power as well. I was running 125RMS per side with these and they sound good.