Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

getting another key cut... anywhere besides dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting another key cut... anywhere besides dealer?

is there anywhere you can get another key cut for my formula besides the dealer? they wanted way too much money for another key.

walmart says that they cant do it, and neither can any hardware stores.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

locksmith, dealer, or bypass vats

or figure out what number key u need order it online then walmart or the hardware store can cut it
Old 10-19-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into a similar issue a couple years back. If your key has the VATS fobs on it, the only place you can get replacement keys made is from the dealer. Otherwise, the newly made key will not allow the car to start (or run properly).
Old 10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Get one off eGay and go to home depot. - or - go to the Stealership
Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

i dont exactly know what key i need (is it a resistor type? or more advanced?) how would i figure that out?

and right now my only key fob isnt working. it does have VATS.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by impaled
i dont exactly know what key i need (is it a resistor type? or more advanced?) how would i figure that out?

Take your key to the dealer and they can "read" it for you and give you the GM part number for the blank. Once you have the blank, anyone with a basic key machine should be able to copy it for you.

That being said, the dealer likely has a punch, which they use to cut the keys. The punch is hyper-accurate and will give you a superior cut over what you will get from a regular copy or a key machine, which needs to be regularly calibrated. A punched key may also save some wear and tear on your cylinder. For ignition keys, I always spring the extra $$$ for a punch. If you get a "bad" copy, you are risking a lot on a very expensive blank. I like the extra insurance that my $15-25 blank won't get messed up in the process.

My last key was around $35. If I recall correctly $25 was for the blank and $10 for the punch. (On-line dealers have the blank for less than $15.)
Old 10-19-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
That being said, the dealer likely has a punch, which they use to cut the keys. The punch is hyper-accurate and will give you a superior cut over what you will get from a regular copy or a key machine, which needs to be regularly calibrated.

It's a GM, who gives a ****? - anything will start it. From a filed down key to a screw driver.

Look up the info - you can get everything including the key, remote and cut for less than 50 Bucks.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by samson_420
It's a GM, who gives a ****? - anything will start it. From a filed down key to a screw driver.

Look up the info - you can get everything including the key, remote and cut for less than 50 Bucks.
from where? the dealer?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
Take your key to the dealer and they can "read" it for you and give you the GM part number for the blank. Once you have the blank, anyone with a basic key machine should be able to copy it for you.

That being said, the dealer likely has a punch, which they use to cut the keys. The punch is hyper-accurate and will give you a superior cut over what you will get from a regular copy or a key machine, which needs to be regularly calibrated. A punched key may also save some wear and tear on your cylinder. For ignition keys, I always spring the extra $$$ for a punch. If you get a "bad" copy, you are risking a lot on a very expensive blank. I like the extra insurance that my $15-25 blank won't get messed up in the process.

My last key was around $35. If I recall correctly $25 was for the blank and $10 for the punch. (On-line dealers have the blank for less than $15.)

the 35 doesnt sound too bad considering the alternatives. at first it sounded pretty exorbitant.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by impaled

they are resistor type, i dont know about the newer cars after 2004. gm changed most if not all there keys. if the dealer is charging more than $35. thats too much, but then again i havent done auto parts for about 5 years. i do know the machine they use reads # 0 thru 25.

Quick Reply: getting another key cut... anywhere besides dealer?