Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New hidden AM/FM antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ the top dash pad? take the A pillars off then its just help by velcro but be careful they break really easy
Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Thanks to WhiteBird00 for working these modifications. In order to make way for a CB, I went with a TuneTrapper and its working really well.

For my installation, I zip tied the antenna to the underside of my headliner just forward of the metal edge of the roof under the windshield glass. I found that my reception is 2X better (FM and AM) than with the antenna laying on the dash by the crossbar. (There is just enough cable - 6' - on the TT-1 tune trapper antenna to go do down the A pillar, across the dash, and to the stereo.) I would have taken a picture but was unable to get a camera in to take a shot as I did not remove the entire headliner for the install. One other note would be to go with the TT-1 antenna (with the 6' cable) vs. the TT-2 model. The placement/length of the cable is more versitle in our installation.

With the antenna under the headliner and in an urban environment (with skyscrapers around me) I can't tell any noticable drop off in FM reception! However, my AM reception is only about 80% of what it was with the stock antenna and the AM stations squeal whenever I go under a bridge. (So, if you are an AM junkie - this mod may not be for you.) I think most of the AM issues are due to the horizontal placement of the antenna - which puts it parallel to highway signs, bridge girders, etc. - leading to the interfrence.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crossroads
^ the top dash pad? take the A pillars off then its just help by velcro but be careful they break really easy
You can do it by just removing 1 "A pillar", and prying/poping the dash pad up with plastic panel pry tools. At least it did for me!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You can do it by just removing 1 "A pillar", and prying/poping the dash pad up with plastic panel pry tools. At least it did for me!
true, true, I said both in case the pad cracks......i ve already fiberglass d mine back together
Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I now have AM/FM, Sirius, and GPS antennas hidden under the dash panel and I get great reception with all of them. If you're looking for a way to get rid of your external antenna, I recommend this product.
I'd love to see writeups for the AM/FM and GPS installs.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojan35
I'd love to see writeups for the AM/FM and GPS installs.
The AM/FM install is detailed in the first post of this thread.

The Sirius satellite and GPS antennas are merely stuck magnetically to the oval metal plates on each end of the dash. You can see the Sirius antenna in the photo inthe first post. The cable just runs across the dash to the opening above the head unit and then down to the back of the HU (all under the top dash pad of course).
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

when going to install my TT-1 I noticed that the connection did not match the one at the radio, it matched the the connection that was at the stock antenna end of the stock cable, those that already installed one, did you get an adapter or did you get a new connector to put on, and where did you find it?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by bigcraig987
when going to install my TT-1 I noticed that the connection did not match the one at the radio, it matched the the connection that was at the stock antenna end of the stock cable, those that already installed one, did you get an adapter or did you get a new connector to put on, and where did you find it?
If you are installing an aftermarket antenna to the stock radio, you'll need something like the Metra 40-GM21 adapter. (I used this to hook up my hidden antenna.)
Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
Thanks to WhiteBird00 for working these modifications. In order to make way for a CB, I went with a TuneTrapper and its working really well.

For my installation, I zip tied the antenna to the underside of my headliner just forward of the metal edge of the roof under the windshield glass.
do you have any pics of this? I cant wait to get rid of my big *** whip antenna lol
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ThoR294
do you have any pics of this? I cant wait to get rid of my big *** whip antenna lol
no pics. Not enough room to get a camera in for a shot due to the curve of the roof. I just took off the sun visors, which dropped down the headliner enough to get my hand in. I used scissors to cut a slit in the headliner material that wraps around the back of the headliner and just zip-tied to that.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

this is pretty cool good idea
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an NGP (no ground plane) antenna from FireStik called the Venice. NGP is very important because there is so little metal in the body of our cars to make a good ground plane. The Venice is a 5/8 wave base-loaded antenna that looks close to factory when installed in the stock location. I get an average of about two miles with it and better than that under some conditions.
where and when did you get your firestik? i have been googling and cant find any place that has them in stock. i'm wondering if they're not made anymore... :\
Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
where and when did you get your firestik? i have been googling and cant find any place that has them in stock. i'm wondering if they're not made anymore... :\
http://www.firestik.com/
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

just ordered a tune tapper since I accidentally cut my antenna cable when I was removing my stock CD changer cables... lol
Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

I got the antenna and I went to take that dash off and I was using such little force and the ****** cracked right on the passengers side, mother ******
Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
I can't find the Venice on their site anymore. There is the DS14-FG but it has the coil in the middle which looks odd. You might be able to call and ask them (602-273-7151) if the Venice is still available. The Venice looks very much like the DS14-FG with the base load but with a straight whip that doesn't have the coiled section in it. They called it their "Euro-styled" antenna.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

I can't find the Venice on their site anymore. There is the DS14-FG but it has the coil in the middle which looks odd. You might be able to call and ask them (602-273-7151) if the Venice is still available. The Venice looks very much like the DS14-FG with the base load but with a straight whip that doesn't have the coiled section in it. They called it their "Euro-styled" antenna.
I just got the DS14-FG installed a little while ago and it I think it blends pretty well. I can get some pics tomorrow of it on my TA to post or send to anyone curious. I don't have any range numbers yet since I am still need to borrow my friends swr meter to get the antenna dialed in.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Teching In

My brother has a 2000 trans am and was was curious if you had any pics of the DS14-FG antenna mounted? and if you've gotten any range tests with that antenna?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Save the manuals!

WhiteBird00 - how did you mount your CB antenna? I have a new Firestick NGP that I want to mount and am curious to see how you did it before I go off and mod out a fixed antenna bracket.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I replaced the factory antenna with the FireStik Venice NGP CB antenna in the same location on the right quarter panel. Except for the load at the base, it is hard to tell from an ordinary fixed mast AM/FM antenna. I posted more information and some photos in this thread. It's a really old thread and I've replaced the HU since then but the CB equipment is still the same.

Quick Reply: New hidden AM/FM antenna