Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New hidden AM/FM antenna

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is old but.....I was recently hunting for a hidden antenna set-up since someone felt the need to snap my factory fixed-antenna off last week in a parking lot, leaving 1-1/2 to 2 threads left. (go figure)
During my hunt i came across a thread on hotrodders.com (not trying to plug the site - I'm not even registered there) And it was extremely informative.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hidd...nna-68638.html
Look for "docvette"s posts (only 13 posts total in the thread), he explains in very great detail how to get the best signal from your antenna via it's placement and location in the vehicle, and why some things work and others won't at all, or as well.
He also covers basics and advanced rules that can help those with CB's (or any antenna for that matter) get the best transmitting and receiving signals from their set-ups.
I consider my self to be rather intelligent for my age but i could physically feel my I.Q. go up just from reading his posts and i highly recommend them, even just for a good read.
I can promise you you'll know more about antennas than you ever wanted.
I hope this helps some of you guys!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

So can anyone tell me where I can find the adaptor to match this to the monsoon headunit at?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Koncrete
So can anyone tell me where I can find the adaptor to match this to the monsoon headunit at?
WalMart or any auto parts store.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

WhiteBird00 - Thanks again for this mod. Its been working so well, that I smoothed out my fender and got rid of the antenna hole all together: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...l#post16563766

(I wanted to put on a NGP CB antenna but haven't been able to find one - so I decided it was time for plan B.)
Old 07-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Teching In

I just found this helpful thread. I have a power antenna, would I need to change anything or just hook this new antenna up and go? (fill the hole of course)
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by methdmx
just hook this new antenna up and go?
Yes, once you have the adapter. Run the wire to the stereo and then use the adapter to hook the new antenna to the head unit.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to put mine in my rear window. Will The new antenna connect to my factory wire that goes from head unit to right rear wheel well? Or is that where I need that 40 to gm 21 adapter? Thanks! Great thread!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by mcalus
I want to put mine in my rear window. Will The new antenna connect to my factory wire that goes from head unit to right rear wheel well? Or is that where I need that 40 to gm 21 adapter? Thanks! Great thread!
If I recall correctly, that wire and the wire on the antenna are both male plugs, so that would require an odd adapter.

I'd also suggest getting the antenna first and playing around with it before you permanently mount it. (Maybe tape it up to see how it does first.)

I expect the dash and behind the top of the windshield work well because they have unobstructed views to the outside world. I'd be worried about a mounting in the rear due to all the metal.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Default HD Radio Reception

Can anyone confirm how well HD radio is pulled in by the Tune Trapper?
Old 05-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I haven't tried it myself but there should be no reason that HD radio wouldn't work well. Unlike digital television which is broadcast on completely different frequencies than the original analog channels, HD radio is simply a digital signal broadcast alongside the existing analog FM frequency (the original analog signal is sandwiched between digital sidebands). HD reception matches analog reception until you get to the fringes near the edge of the station's broadcast region.

HD is simply a trademark and does not mean High Definition as it does in video. The digital signal can carry more information than the original analog signal so broadcasters can improve signal quality or add more channels (or a combination of both depending on how they want to use the bandwidth). The one big difference is reception at the edge of the broadcast range. Analog signal will still work but become more noisy as distance from the source increases. Digital signal will reach a point where it simply cuts off... as distance increases, the signal will remain noise free until it reaches a point where it can't be accurately reproduced and just shuts down. Generally this will happen at a shorter distance than the analog signal can reach.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If your one of the few with a convertible, the XM antenna can be installed in the actual trunk lid. There is a hole with a black plastic plug, the antenna is behind the plug and I have excellent satellite reception!

I ran the cable through the trunk lid and it follows the factory harness for the third brake light wiring!

The reception is better here vs. the dash

Old 05-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

My XM Antenna is in my hatch too.

Quick Reply: New hidden AM/FM antenna