Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pioneer Avic-F700BT double din GPS touch screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pioneer Avic-F700BT double din GPS touch screen

I just ordered a Pioneer Avic-F700BT that came brand new with ipod adapter for $462 total shipped!!!!! crazy insane deal. I was just wondering about the wiring harness for these... Ive never hooked up a GPS double din but ive hooked up a few regular cd player single din HU's. Those wiring harness were plug and play, no wire stripping or scotch locking or anything like that. Ive heard that the GPS double din's you have to use the exposed wired harness'... anyone that has a GPS double din similar to mine care to share some info on that harness? also where did yall put your GPS antenna? im thinking on the inside drivers side top corner of the windshield.

heres a pic of the HU.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

All you need is the normal GM 88+ harness adapter. Like any aftermarket head unit, the double DIN systems have all the usual connections (power, speakers, antenna, etc.). I'm not sure if the F series has the same VSS wire as the D series did...if so, you'll have to splice that to the dark green with white wire in the white radio connector.

I put my GPS antenna under the dash panel on the metal filler panel on the right side (I put my Sirius antenna on the same panel on the left side). Reception is excellent - better than the reception on the factory system in my wife's SUV. There's a picture in this thread.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
All you need is the normal GM 88+ harness adapter. Like any aftermarket head unit, the double DIN systems have all the usual connections (power, speakers, antenna, etc.). I'm not sure if the F series has the same VSS wire as the D series did...if so, you'll have to splice that to the dark green with white wire in the white radio connector.

I put my GPS antenna under the dash panel on the metal filler panel on the right side (I put my Sirius antenna on the same panel on the left side). Reception is excellent - better than the reception on the factory system in my wife's SUV. There's a picture in this thread.
awesome sounds great! i was hoping i could hide it somewhere but wasnt sure if it needed to be in line of sight. the guy at best buy told me the harness i needed had all exposed wires? i told him on my old HU it had a connector on both sides so it was just plug and play, he said that hes never heard of that lol. any idea on the part number or where i can get the harness from? best buy doesnt help much
Old 11-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm not sure anyone makes those plug-and-play harnesses for newer model systems. The one I was refering to has the factory plug on one end but unfinished wires on the other. You just splice them together by matching the colors between the harness adapter wires and the head unit wires then it just plugs into the factory harness.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ahh... been a while since ive looked at the latest and greatest of the car audio world doesnt sound to hard... im assuming the HU i ordered will come with a harness then with exposed wires also and use butt connectors to splice them together... i need a picture lol. im sure ill figure it out once i get it all and look at it.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, the Pioneer head unit comes with a harness that plugs into the radio on one end and has unfinished wire at the other end. It's better to solder and heat shrink the Pioneer wires to the adapter harness wires but crimp-on connectors will do the job.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome thanks for all your help... i found a pic of the actual connector included with the HU and that explained everything for me! Ill post pics once this bad boy is installed... i got alot of work ahead of me, sub/amp install, Pioneer Avic F700 install, shock/break upgrade, polish/wax time too!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

You will have to hook up the parking brake wire also.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

im really excited about the first time it tells me im exceeding the speed limit lol.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by habeba86
You will have to hook up the parking brake wire also.
i havent heard anything about the parking break hookup... what exactly is this your talking about?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I forgot about that. The parking brake wire is a safety override that prevents the video from working unless the parking brake is engaged. Simply run the wire to the parking brake switch under the console and splice it into the wire there.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot about that. The parking brake wire is a safety override that prevents the video from working unless the parking brake is engaged. Simply run the wire to the parking brake switch under the console and splice it into the wire there.
any idea what color this is and the color/location of the wire i need to hook up for speed.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
any idea what color this is
The parking brake switch wire is light blue - it's the only wire attached to the switch.

...and the color/location of the wire i need to hook up for speed.
Objection your honor, asked and answered:

...you'll have to splice that to the dark green with white wire in the white radio connector.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The parking brake switch wire is light blue - it's the only wire attached to the switch.

Objection your honor, asked and answered:

lol didnt know you were talking about the speed wire... this is the wire that will tell me how fast im going and give me the warning thing when i go a certain amount above the speed limit as well correct? thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

lol didnt know you were talking about the speed wire... this is the wire that will tell me how fast im going and give me the warning thing when i go a certain amount above the speed limit as well correct? thanks!
Yup...the dark green with white wire in the radio harness (Camaro only) is the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) wire that was used for the automatic volume of the factory radio and is used by AVIC-D series systems to provide estimations of location when the GPS signal is lost as well as to improve GPS accuracy.

Your comments about the speeding warning got me curious so I did some research. The F700BT doesn't require the VSS wire. I guess it uses only the satellite information to determine speed.

Also, you will find a reverse wire in the HU harness. The installation manual says you should connect this to the backup light power feed so the system can determine when you're backing up for accurate positioning. This is completely unnecessary. In fact, it's really only useful if you connect a rear view camera.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

The 700 doesnt play video...you jst cant do certain menu options and routing info and such with the parking brake not on. Not tryn to insult you or anything, I jst dont want the op to think it will play dvd's.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by habeba86
The 700 doesnt play video...you jst cant do certain menu options and routing info and such with the parking brake not on. Not tryn to insult you or anything, I jst dont want the op to think it will play dvd's.
The F700 won't play video DVDs (it won't play any DVDs) but it can play video from a USB device, the built-in SD card slot, and the external AV connections.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

The F700 won't play video DVDs (it won't play any DVDs) but it can play video from a USB device, the built-in SD card slot, and the external AV connections.
Ya got me...I jst never thought of tryn to watch a movie off of that. But back on topic. These are good units..put one in a few days ago, make sure you do the 2.0 upgrade on it or it will be slooooow. If its new enough it will come with the sd card for the upgrade. Post pics when its all done!!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

will do... got a big install ahead of me with the amp and sub as well... putting in a 10" L7 with a 600watt kicker amp. Ive read as many write ups on installs for GPS units as I could find and it doesnt seem very hard... the single din HU that i currently have it was a little longer than the stock HU so the back plastic piece is already gone. think im gonna use some L brackets to attach it unless someone has a better idea...

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic-F700BT double din GPS touch screen