Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

So what broke - help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So what broke - help

Dont even know where to post this

Girlfriends 2000 z28 doesnt always like to start: turn the key and no clicking of the starter just no action - if she wiggles the key and keeps trying to start it - eventually it starts.

She had the car start once or twice from holding the key in the run position for 2 or 3 seconds so since it wouldnt start today she tried holding in the run position for 2-3 mintues till something from under the hood started smoking.

I show up and the pcm smells like burnt electronics- the interior lights, door locks, door chime and hatch release work but the window motors, radio, gauges and starter dont work at all. All fuses are good.

What burnt up? the BCM ?

The only indicator is that the door chimes work until the car is put in the run position then stops. The radio and windows wont roll up or turn on even if the key is turned backwards toward accessory position.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car will do this if the key is not inserted fully into the cylinder.
when i have the radio on (RAP) and the door open
i will tug on the key and the door bell will not ring.
it only moves out of the cylinder an 1/8".

but it sounds like the BCM may be crunked or you burn some wiring.

Last edited by shoemike; 12-06-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updating :

Ignition Control circuit was done, bad corosion and worn contacts ( this is the electrical connection that moves when the ignition cylender allows movement )

Part 2: The Starter went bad- the starter motor would turn over just fine, but the rod had recoiled back inside the starter and was no longer contacting the fly wheel.

- Car has been starting every time now after both peices replaced for over a month.