Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

30-Pin Ipod adapter Hack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30-Pin Ipod adapter Hack?

Anyone hack a 30-Pin Ipod adapter for a car stereo?

Im looking for a 30-pin to a pair of RCA's w/a lead to charge the ipod as well...I would hook this up to the remote (obviously)
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...abilities.html
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

thanks!

I am actually trying to find the wiring Schematic for the Ipod cable. I have an older Pioneer unit w/Bus input. I want to hack an interface cable. Im not sure what wires on the 30-pin is Audio vs power/GND.

I have been looking at this though...
http://www.electrawarehouse.com/prod...hiptozip=77449

Might just buy it.

FYI... the Pioneer CD-IB100II does not work (supposedly) on my unit DEH-P86DHR (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...P86DHR.Support)

still curious of the 30-pin wire schematic
Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Default Update

I took a DLO 30-pin to USB and cut it. Took apart the 30-pin side and using this site (http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml)
and this site (http://stereophonik.com/gutterslide/IP-BUS_Hack/) I was able to hack a interface cable!

I just hooked it up to my unit and it works! no more FM modulator crap!...now I just need to figure out what wire color is the 12V and hook it up to the accessory wire with a fuse.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So you have an ipod cable spliced directly to the IP Bus, and it charges? If so, I think you just saved me $30 + ship. I had forgotten all about the IP Bus until I wanted to put an ipod in AUX.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lo_jack
So you have an ipod cable spliced directly to the IP Bus, and it charges? If so, I think you just saved me $30 + ship. I had forgotten all about the IP Bus until I wanted to put an ipod in AUX.
Yes, I have it spliced to the Bus and it works via AUX.
Not exactly sure what wire color is +12v and GND to complete circuit for charging...I will work more on it tonight, then post a write up w/ pics.

If I had a volt meter it would prolly help.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I knew how to use my voltmeter it would probably help, so no worries there. I'm psyched about this.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

radio wiring harness
black is ground
red is accessory wire
Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I finally finished this project. I mainly started this because I needed a Pioneer Bus interface cable that would charge my IPod as well as play directly through my head unit; it seemed most people are out of stock until March.

I had been using the DLO Transdoc micro for my IPod and it sucks poo!

I decided to hack it after reviewing some websites (listed above)

I will create a write up sometime soon but for now, I will just post some pics

This hack can also be used to add RCA's rather than a bus interface cable and still charge your iPod. Make sure to splice into the IPod cable closest to the side where the USB is (about 3" above USB side). This will keep the RCA's close to your Radio.

1. The DLO unit I have
2. What the 30-pin looks like and wire color spec.
3. FM transmitter guts
4. Finished hack of DLO

Edited!

Because I did not want to fry mine and could not determine what wires were used to charge the iPod, I simply opened the FM Transmitter and removed the transmitter and display crystal and left the board with the USB input. This board has all the resistors and caps that will keep your IPod charged. I just tucked it away behind my head unit.

In the end, all anyone will see is a 30-pin Ipod adaptor. Run the cable from behind your radio, out under your armrest or e-break or wherever. (you may have to extend the cable if you want it to reach this far and still have some play in the line. Do this during the spliceing stage) I ran mine out near the swing out cupholder near the radio and I have pleny of flexability to place the ipod in my passenger seat without extending the cable.

(AFTER you splice into the 30-pin, plug it into the bottom of your ipod, turn it on, put some headphones on and use the jack portion of the headphones to verify the wires before you add your custom hack. (RCA's))

Here are the pic's.
Attached Thumbnails 30-Pin Ipod adapter Hack?-dlo.jpg   30-Pin Ipod adapter Hack?-dsc02220.jpg   30-Pin Ipod adapter Hack?-dsc02223.jpg   30-Pin Ipod adapter Hack?-dsc02261.jpg  

Last edited by Blackfly; 12-10-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

not true on the charging straight 12 volts will charge an ipod, its the new ones the touch and iphone that need the 5volts and there is a totally diff pin used for charging them
Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
not true on the charging straight 12 volts will charge an ipod, its the new ones the touch and iphone that need the 5volts and there is a totally diff pin used for charging them
Great! I mis understood that on the pinout diagram. So which colors on the 30-pin are for power/GND?

I guess with the current hack I wont have to worry either way. sweet!

Thanks for the info, I edited the post.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Connecting pin 21 to ground with a 1MOhm resistor does stop the ipod when power (i.e. Firewire-12V) is cut.

29,30 GND FireWire Ground (-)
19,20 +12V Firewire Power 12 VDC (+)

Quick Reply: 30-Pin Ipod adapter Hack?