Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What kind of speaker to put in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of speaker to put in rear?

I plan on running the Infinity Kappa 63.9i 's in the doors, probably will trash the hatch speakers (seems to the popular decision in here) but what kind of speakers are you guys running in the back? Forgive me for not knowing the correct location name, all I know is it's where the bass come from, some sort of sub I suppose. I'd like to keep the same style of speaker, but want to upgrade. thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Launching!

im running a set of Kappa 6.5 without crossover in the door and they dont sound as good as the stock ones. I ran the independent tweeter and woffer wires to the respective terminal and they dont have the same kick or accuracy the original setup did. Almost sounds metalic, the power rating for the speakers is different. Remember if your keeping the stock amp, you need to make sure you get the right ohm speaker for your application. im thinkin of the same thing for the rear, im considering a set of kicker comps or JL's. The Kickers look shallow enough to mount, i just need to measure the opening in the car. JLs look a little deep, but im sure you could get a spacer ring and bump em out an inch if needed (like ebay item 290288985837). The only concern i have is the factory amp puts out a dvc (dual voice coil) wire for this speaker. (ie 4 wires not 2) I need to see how people have wired this, i dont feel like putting in a aftermarket amp. I leave the car tops off and windows down all the time when i go out, or to the beach, last thing i need is someone thinking i have a high end stereo. Another reason i havent changed my head unit.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

are u planing on keeping the factory amp ? if yes then you have to look for a 2 ohm speaker, and i advice u to put a component speaker in the door they sound much better,

tis is what u need http://www.keeaudio.com/id79.html

Last edited by Engine_HP; 02-06-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Launching!

I'm not really sure.... If I don't keep the factory amp should I go with a 4 ohm speaker? I'm not use to messing around w/ factory amps... If I can keep the factory amp, run a 2 ohm component speaker, will it still sound good? ALSO, if I keep the factory amp, do I need anything special to run an aftermarket deck?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Kee Audio (a sponsor here) has replacement subs for the sail panels (next to the rear seat) at the site linked in the earlier post. They are 4-ohm dual voice coil that can be wired in parallel to produce the 2-ohm load expected by the factory amp.

Bear in mind that the impedance of the speaker is not all that important as long as you don't go less than the amp can handle. For the Camaro sail panels, you can replace the factory 2-ohm subs with 4-ohm ones without having a problem. Most decent aftermarket speakers (not from Wal-Mart) are sufficiently more efficient than stock that the increased impedance won't even cause a loss of volume.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

ED e3.6 subwoofer in dual 2 or 4ohm voicecoils.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=33

Or

CDT HD M6 ,or HD M6+
http://www.keeaudio.com/id68.html
Old 02-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
ED e3.6 subwoofer in dual 2 or 4ohm voicecoils.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=33
You want the dual voice coil 4-ohm version to match the wiring in f-bodies. Firebirds come from the factory with DVC 4-ohm sail panel subs. On a Camaro you would wire the two 4-ohm coils in parallel to produce a 2-ohm load that matches the factory 2-ohm SVC setup.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of those 6.5" "subwoofers" are really going to give you tons of bass. I'd sooner put quality components in with an aftermarket amp using crossovers that came with the speakers (as opposed to stock crossovers) than put in subwoofers if I had to choose between the two options.