Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

diagnosing battery draw with car off...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what did you end up finding?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't had time to do much more with this, have just had the negative terminal disconnected when the car is parked for now.

Tell me this guys -

What's the correct way to measure the draw and isolate where the draw is ?

With the doors closed on the car, I'm using the amp meter to connect the hot terminal on the battery to the (+) wire on the wiring harness. It sparks a bit when I make the connection and measures ~5 amps.

When making the connection with the meter all the relays click under the hood, etc - is there a chance I'm measuring something else ? BCM ? (Haven't tried unplugging that yet)... If I leave the meter on for 10 minutes will the BCM power down leaving the draw ?

Ugh I hate electrical issues. I know there's an issue somewhere that's not the BCM, or the battery wouldn't be dying since the BCM powers down in ~10 min.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen internally shorted alternators to cause a drain. If you pulled all the fuses and your still getting 5amp draw try disconnecting the alternator.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaroz
I've seen internally shorted alternators to cause a drain. If you pulled all the fuses and your still getting 5amp draw try disconnecting the alternator.
That was my problem. Stupid rebuilt alternators.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull one fuse at a time, and see what the big draw is. It's normal for circuits to pull small amounts of current, but for 5A, there will probably be just one or two things causing most of it. And yes, the alternator could be it.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bad30th
I haven't had time to do much more with this, have just had the negative terminal disconnected when the car is parked for now.

Tell me this guys -

What's the correct way to measure the draw and isolate where the draw is ?

With the doors closed on the car, I'm using the amp meter to connect the hot terminal on the battery to the (+) wire on the wiring harness. It sparks a bit when I make the connection and measures ~5 amps.

When making the connection with the meter all the relays click under the hood, etc - is there a chance I'm measuring something else ? BCM ? (Haven't tried unplugging that yet)... If I leave the meter on for 10 minutes will the BCM power down leaving the draw ?

Ugh I hate electrical issues. I know there's an issue somewhere that's not the BCM, or the battery wouldn't be dying since the BCM powers down in ~10 min.

Rob (Bad30th)
what i would do is acutally connect a dvm in parralel with the neg. battery cable. and of course the dvm set to read amps. like ementioned wait for the bcm to go to sleep mode. then start pulling fuses.

this is kinda of a pain to do but with alligator clips connected to the dvm it should be easy.. basiclly you want all currect flow to pass through the dvm..
Old 05-18-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
what i would do is acutally connect a dvm in parralel with the neg. battery cable.

basiclly you want all currect flow to pass through the dvm..
Please go learn basic electronics and report back. Also, please attend some kindergarten English classes. Perhaps they could give you a few pointers.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Please go learn basic electronics and report back. Also, please attend some kindergarten English classes. Perhaps they could give you a few pointers.
wtf!!! Not at all called for. If im wrong then say im wrong. Thats what ive done and found my problems. Maybe my wording is wrong but no one has acutally answered
His last question so i tried. F...... A.. People like you make it hard for others to even try to help. Mr. Know it all
Old 05-18-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
wtf!!! Not at all called for. If im wrong then say im wrong. Thats what ive done and found my problems. Maybe my wording is wrong but no one has acutally answered
His last question so i tried. F...... A.. People like you make it hard for others to even try to help. Mr. Know it all
I took considerable time out of my day to decipher your horrible excuse for English, and it turns out that the "advice" you gave, worded as if it were factual, was completely wrong and misleading. If he had followed it, he'd be wasting even more of his time. Fortunately what you suggested wouldn't have broken anything, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I took considerable time out of my day to decipher your horrible excuse for English, and it turns out that the "advice" you gave, worded as if it were factual, was completely wrong and misleading. If he had followed it, he'd be wasting even more of his time. Fortunately what you suggested wouldn't have broken anything, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it.
Lol.. With 1000+ posts you seem to like taking time out of your day everyday to decipher every post. Even now you havent aswered
His question. Other pull fuses.thats Help? Now we have an english major.. If thats the only thing you can say maybe you shouldnt be taking time out of your day. Lets find out if he uses your english to find his prob.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
That was my problem. Stupid rebuilt alternators.
Glad you got it figured out Electrical problems are a big pain.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya it only took 4 to get a good one lol.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
Ya it only took 4 to get a good one lol.
Typical
Old 06-03-2009, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Just an update to this -

I think it's my alternator - lately when driving the volt gauge on the dash will quickly drop and shoot back up a few times in a row. Sometimes it will even set off the CHECK GAUGES light.

I'm going to swap it out and see if that changes anything.

I'm thinking as hard as I can about it and I don't remember ever connecting into anything but ACC and stereo, illum and IGN wires. I'm hoping it's just the alternator.

I'll post up results after I've had a chance to order one and swap it in.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

You checked all your cables for looseness, corrosion or other problems, right?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Just an update to this -

I think it's my alternator - lately when driving the volt gauge on the dash will quickly drop and shoot back up a few times in a row. Sometimes it will even set off the CHECK GAUGES light.

I'm going to swap it out and see if that changes anything.

I'm thinking as hard as I can about it and I don't remember ever connecting into anything but ACC and stereo, illum and IGN wires. I'm hoping it's just the alternator.

I'll post up results after I've had a chance to order one and swap it in.

Rob (Bad30th)
This is what mine does. I haven't had time to check for any draw with the car off. Let us know so I can go and get a new alternator if I have to.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Just following up this post, issue is resolved.

New alternator fixed the voltage fluctuation issue.

Draw was traced back to where a shop that had moved my wideband had rewired it and tied it into the cigarette lighter.

Glad it's all fixed up ! Even got my ancient PAC SWI2 controller working again so I can use my steering wheel stereo controls with my Eclipse head unit !

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)

Quick Reply: diagnosing battery draw with car off...