Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Amp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Amp replacement

Hi All
New to the site. What a great site. Question: I want to change out my pos Monsoon amp in my 2000 WS6 T/A and replace with a Alpine V Power amp.I replaced all speaker with Alpines, going to order the Bazooka 6.5" subs from Ian @ Key. What will I need to do this. I have been putting this off for YEARS!
I got 1000 watts in my 88GTA and it great. I also plan on keeping original HU and 12 pack disc.
Any help would be great
Old 11-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Odd combination. Alpine speakers don't work well with the Monsoon system but there is no reason to use small Bazooka subs if you install an aftermarket amp.

The sound quality problems you experience with the Monsoon system (other than because of the mismatch of the Alpine speakers) are not the fault of the amp - it's the pos head unit which you intend to keep. That thing is a distortion machine!

If you really feel that a new amp will help, you'll either have to get one with speaker level inputs or else install a line level converter because the factory head unit doesn't have any pre-amp output. Also, you would be far better off adding a proper sub (say in a stealth box) rather than using 6.5" Bazookas in the sail panels. The Bazookas are great as an upgrade from stock while using the Monsoon amp but they just don't cut it if you're upgrading the amp.

You'll have to rewire for several reasons: no pre-amp output to the new amp, the Monsoon amp has eight channel output, Firebirds have the front and rear tweeters wired to the HU rather than the amp, you'll need to add crossovers for your speakers, you'll need to relocate power, ground and signal to the new amp, etc.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you absolutely feel that you must use sail panel speakers instead of a real subwoofer, and you're using an aftermarket amp, use Peerless SLS only.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 AM

So if I rip it all out, start from scratch,(HU,AMPS,SPKRS,), I read you can't use the 12 disc changer,true? If so, that bites. I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I have about a grand for the budget. Would also like to keep the T-Top storage, so I am limited AGAIN.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Well, if you get a HU with MP3/USB input then the CD changer becomes a non-issue. You'll be able to put your music on an MP3 player or even a simple USB flash drive and have a lot more tunes available without changing discs along with the advantage of having track details and cover art displayed on the HU.

A stealth box allows you to mount a sub in the cubby space to the left of the t-top storage so that you can have a 10" (or even 12") sub without giving up the storage.

You can easily do that for under $1000 - especially if you do the installation yourself.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, definitely go for a 12" subwoofer.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Good point on the CD changer,dah. Thanks. I just viewed WS6KID install,nice, It gave me some ideas also.
The 12" would be the one I would go with. Being a weekend woodworker, I can make the Sub box and cover it with material.I always done my own installs, should be a walk in the park.
Wife is gonna #$@!. Calling Crutchfield. There having a Black Friday/Saturday sale.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Amp replacement